Mage with hitroll

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Mage with hitroll

Postby Thilindel » Wed Mar 19, 2008 4:42 pm

Okey, 35 hitroll, regardless of character's class, should be enough to hit damned near anything. Despite the high hitroll, it's merely enough for about 65% success anyway. That's only after a mob is blind and stumble lands. Therefore, I'm wondering if this will be corrected.

I was looking up some melee type mages for D&D, where there are several items that increase hitroll. These mages' items definitely make the staff of striking and other critters painfully accurate.

The penalty for having hitroll on this mud, as anybody who's tried knows, is horrific hitpoints. It's a hell of a risk, so it's not without downfalls. Nor is it overpowered to just have a melee mage hit as much as he should.
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:09 am

Casters aren't hitters. They lack the skills to be able to hit as well as hitters for the code. At the lowest levels, they hit fairly evenly. Makes sense to me.
Zoldren
Sojourner

Postby Zoldren » Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:35 am

Lathander wrote:Casters aren't hitters. They lack the skills to be able to hit as well as hitters for the code. At the lowest levels, they hit fairly evenly. Makes sense to me.

actually when they are out of spells they highly rely on their dagger and/or staff.. especially in a close fight (you know some mages actually solo *point E..*)
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:37 am

what I was saying is when you're a lvl 32 mage with 35 hitroll, and having the hitroll causes you to have 175 hitpoints, you should expect to hit very reliably. 35 hitroll is excessive. You lose hitpoints to gain ability to hit. So it seems viable to me *shrug*
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:14 am

Wouldn't hit/dam be race and class dependent too just like you stated other stats are race related .. so a mage with 35/35 (why by the way?) would be like 5/5 for a rogue (just a guess)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Fri Mar 21, 2008 4:15 am

because homeland has a nice war-wizard type kit. I've always liked melee mage. It was just this past month I was playing during the down time.

The mud has virtually no battle-cleric type eq. Those who do play melee cleric, like Kaln had to work really hard to get eq for the class. I don't know why the mud isn't loaded with cleric type eq that's for melee with 'real' bonuses. Clerics in D&D are quite capable in melee.

As for mages, again, there are spells and eq in D&D that are set up for a means for mages to be competent in melee if needed. Another negative is the mud's tendency to give 3's for hitpoint gains for grey elves. Only 6's are super rare for human/gnome/halfling. Anyhoo, getting sidetracked.

Cookie cutter eq is so boring for hp/eq type crap only. I can get 44/29 for this mage so far. I'm sure it'd get higher yet. It's just pretty lame that there is a skill of 'offense, defense, and dodge' - it really should just be based on your level and attributes. Skills 'training (aka spambotting)' is like having your nuts in a vice here. Mindless spamming isn't playing the game. Zoning, soloing, etc., are what the game's about. And the social aspect vs. getting the f*ck away from reality. But what's this? You're in an imaginary world, and have to spam your butt off on skills and practices that don't add ANYTHING to the fun of the mud. The mud is a game. Working to spam and be behind the keyboard while "practicing" isn't -fun-

Assassinate practice, anyone?
/rant off

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”