niggardly

Main Entry:
nig·gard·ly Listen to the pronunciation of niggardly
Pronunciation:
\-lē\
Function:
adjective
Date:

1 : grudgingly mean about spending or granting : begrudging 2 : provided in meanly limited supply
synonyms see stingy
— nig·gard·li·ness noun
— niggardly adverb

I just think it's crazy that a career was ended, and a life was probably ruined because someone took offense to a word that has its own meaning. The context was used in the morning debrief where we're told the revenue and status of quotas. Two hours later, this lady was fired.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 pm

If she used the word in proper context then I hope she sues the pants off of whoever employed her.

If, otoh, she has a history of questionable judgment and/or used the word as a sort of double entendre then she undoubtedly violated standing policy on discrimination.

Lots of highly derogatory words have benign original meanings, so I don't exactly see your point.

This isn't 'Nam Smokey. It's Bowling. There are Rules.
Latreg
Sojourner

Postby Latreg » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 pm

avak wrote:If she used the word in proper context then I hope she sues the pants off of whoever employed her.

If, otoh, she has a history of questionable judgment and/or used the word as a sort of double entendre then she undoubtedly violated standing policy on discrimination.

Lots of highly derogatory words have benign original meanings, so I don't exactly see your point.

so true, just like everyone saying Pril is gay....
Talona responds to your petition with 'Sweet, I fixed something!'
Talona LFG: [55 Evil Human Nec] 'Don't make me mud castrate you all.'
Some people are like slinkies, not really good for anything but you still cant help smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
Birile
Sojourner

Postby Birile » Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:56 pm

avak wrote:If she used the word in proper context then I hope she sues the pants off of whoever employed her.

Was trying to find a way of saying the exact same thing. This is better than what I could come up with.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:51 pm

Ladies don't need to "sue" to get my pants off.

It had to be said.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Apr 07, 2008 9:56 pm

Tasan wrote:Ladies don't need to "sue" to get my pants off.

Then call me Sally, mr. beefcake!
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:31 am

Definitely not an appropriate reason to fire someone. Get one of the black guys to just say nigger and she what happens, then she's got an airtight case!
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:54 am

Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:59 am

Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:33 pm

Self-employed is where its at.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Worth being fired for?

Postby teflor the ranger » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:23 am

Thilindel wrote:An EMT of 21 years was fired today for this word:

Why use that word when you could just say cheap? Same thing, you know, without the offense and degrading message.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Thu Apr 10, 2008 6:04 am

Shrug, why does Ashiwi write long ass essays in her post w/ random words people rarely use?
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Birile
Sojourner

Re: Worth being fired for?

Postby Birile » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:45 pm

teflor the ranger wrote:
Thilindel wrote:An EMT of 21 years was fired today for this word:

Why use that word when you could just say cheap? Same thing, you know, without the offense and degrading message.

Agreed. If she was intelligent enough to know the word and its original meaning, she should have had enough intelligence to know the downfalls of using it in public and, especially, at the workplace. I would hope most intelligent people who know the meaning of this word would also know its relation to the word derived from it and understand the implications. Since most people do not know the meaning of said word and she purportedly did and, in so knowing, didn't see a problem with using the word there is a relatively good chance that she used the word with the purpose of raising ire and being hurtful and either thought she would get away with it or thought she could successfully claim innocence if someone happened to cry foul.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:50 pm

I'm taking back the word "Porchmonkey".
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:20 am

It's difficult to have to constantly remind people that the First Amendment protects your right to free speech from being taken away from you.

It doesn't protect your job, public opinion of you, your ability to use airborne transporation, or any other priviledge that you have.

Your coworker can say whatever words they want to, but they just might not be employed next week.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.

Return to “General Discussion Archive”