Toril 2.0: Q&A

Discussion concerning the upcoming Toril 2.0 update as well as general 3.5 edition D&D discussion
Wargo
Sojourner

Yuanti Love and Others

Postby Wargo » Wed May 02, 2007 2:46 pm

Shev,

Is there anything planned for yuanti's 5th appendage besides the old tailsweep? Will clerics get the options to specialize similar to the plan for wizards, i.e. battle cleric? Will rangers be able to specialize against dragons or demons in general rather than just the subset group such as fire giants (vs. giants)? Will drows or yuanti's be able to choose Paladin or Ranger classes in some way/form/fashion? Will classes other than necromancers to have the ability to quest for upgrade, i.e. Rogues --> Assassins, Warriors --> Berserkers, to become a whole new different classes with even more specialized set of skills?

Thanks,

Yssilk
Taka
Sojourner

Postby Taka » Mon May 14, 2007 4:57 am

What about ogre's 5th appendage? can it be used as a club?

Joke aside: any update? It's been a while
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon May 14, 2007 5:51 am

The 5th member is now known as the stump of smiting. Enjoy!
nosef
Sojourner

Postby nosef » Thu May 31, 2007 5:40 pm

Will races keep their innate abilities even if they dont have an echo in dnd 3.0 or 3.5? Namely I was thinking of the halflings' hamstring and the elves' outdoor sneak as that will help me decide which race a cleric to roll.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: Yuanti Love and Others

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:26 pm

Wargo wrote:Is there anything planned for yuanti's 5th appendage besides the old tailsweep?

Not at this time.

Wargo wrote: Will clerics get the options to specialize similar to the plan for wizards, i.e. battle cleric?

Clerics get to specialize via choosing a deity and two domains from that deity's list. See the Announcements forum for more info on that.

Wargo wrote: Will rangers be able to specialize against dragons or demons in general rather than just the subset group such as fire giants (vs. giants)?

Currently the Favored Enemy feature allows Rangers to pick one specific race, rather than a whole type. That could be changed though, we'll have to see how it works out first.

Wargo wrote:Will drows or yuanti's be able to choose Paladin or Ranger classes in some way/form/fashion?

I am not going to speak on that at this time.

Wargo wrote:Will classes other than necromancers to have the ability to quest for upgrade, i.e. Rogues --> Assassins, Warriors --> Berserkers, to become a whole new different classes with even more specialized set of skills?

Not planned at this time, but this is something we'd like to address in future updates.

Sorry for the late reply!
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jun 11, 2007 3:28 pm

nosef wrote:Will races keep their innate abilities even if they dont have an echo in dnd 3.0 or 3.5? Namely I was thinking of the halflings' hamstring and the elves' outdoor sneak as that will help me decide which race a cleric to roll.

No - you can't count on all the innate abilities remaining as is. Soem will remain, others will be removed. Further details wil be found in the forthcoming help files.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Money

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:16 pm

I know it has been mentioned how there will be plenty of plat sinks coming with 2.0, like components, those weapon upgrades, etc. I want to know if mobs in zones will now have actual money, so that at the end of the zone, the group leader can actually split 4k plat (random big number) amongst the group, and not 28p, 123g, 456s, 789c. I hope my point is understood. Also, will items actually have VALUE associated with said items? And not:

'Tiamat's awesome weapon of incomprehensibility'
VALUE: 0

This will promote selling items in a store, instead of leaving them on the ground because they sell for 1s. With more plat sinks comes more need for plat, and honestly farming TB for ears ain't my idea of 'adventuring for loot'.

Just looking for info, thanks.

Adriorn

(I did a search in case this has been mentioned before, but couldn't find something, so sorry if already been said. This is meant for the more practical aspects of the game, I didn't even want to get into caravans, trade system, etc., as I know that is a whole different beaver.)
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Jun 16, 2007 12:48 pm

*gasp* SPLIT plats during zone??

Ninja looting has become an institution!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really would be lovely to be able to go back to group splitting coins again to be honest. With the coding in its SOOOO easy to do, so its not like g-leaders have to figure it out anymore.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:45 am

So, this'll be a dumb question i'm sure.

Any idea of an estimated time of when you want to see it in by?
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: Money

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:22 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:I want to know if mobs in zones will now have actual money

Well, the amount of money dropped by all mobs is being rebalanced as part of the dynamic mob covnerter that 2.0 features. So you may see better gains and coin types in higher level encounters. However, as for zone rewards of piles of cash, that is up to the Areas spehere to implement as a zone reward.

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:Also, will items actually have VALUE associated with said items?

That too is up to the Areas sphere. I could write an algorithm to "guess" the value of items, but it would never be very accurate. Maybe it could be used as a starting point though, as some value is better than none on high-end gear.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:23 pm

Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Any idea of an estimated time of when you want to see it in by?

Yesterday?

Honestly, I'd like to see it in by this fall.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jun 27, 2007 3:21 pm

Shevarash wrote:That too is up to the Areas sphere.

Where is this mysterious "areas sphere" you keep referring to...
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:05 pm

Tasan wrote:
Shevarash wrote:That too is up to the Areas sphere.

Where is this mysterious "areas sphere" you keep referring to...

Theres a rumour about some god named 'cyric' :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Nokie
Sojourner

Myconids

Postby Nokie » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:37 pm

Will Myconids be a playable race?
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:14 pm

Adriorn Darkcloak wrote:Also, will items actually have VALUE associated with said items? And not:

'Tiamat's awesome weapon of incomprehensibility'
VALUE: 0

This will promote selling items in a store, instead of leaving them on the ground because they sell for 1s. With more plat sinks comes more need for plat, and honestly farming TB for ears ain't my idea of 'adventuring for loot'.

I always thought that making some things unsellable was a feature, not a bug. That said, I agree that really awesome items should not sell for a pittance unless there is a reason (for example, "This is the Celestial Frying Pan of Kazhad'Thul, but it resembles any other frying pan. Thus it sells for 500 cp. The store manager doesn't know any better.")

I will agree that if you don't want a Tia item to be sold to a store, perhaps it makes more sense to make it value 0 instead of value 1000.
Yotus group-says 'special quest if you type hi dragon'
Shevarash OOC: 'I feature only the finest mammary glands.'
Silena group-says 'he was so fat and juicy..couldnt resist'
Taka
Sojourner

Trap

Postby Taka » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:23 am

Will 2.0 change the following:
TRAP
Applied skill.

Syntax: trap
Aggressive: Yes
Class/Level: Ranger/Dire Raider 5th

COMING SOON

?

AFAIK it's been like that for more then 10 years...
Klandal
Sojourner

Item Values

Postby Klandal » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:00 pm

Concerning the monetary value of items:
Currently there is a general zone calculator guide to making item stats cost a certain number of points to put into the game. Could the number of points required to create the item be used to generate a DEFAULT of the item's monetary VALUE? That way an item that cost more points to generate would have a higher default value. The area writer could manually change things like gems or mob-requested items if desired, but this would give at least a general basis of item worth.

In addition, you could still use the NO-SELL flag to prevent items with extraordinary worth from being sold if that is the intent of the areamaker (ala Tiamat items selling for 10's to 100's of thousands of plat).

This would also possibly offer new possibilities in quests where questmobs could check the values of items handed in instead of specific items themselves.

Any comment?

-Klandan
Ivac ASSOC:: 'man, i'd love to be a woman'
Ivac ASSOC:: 'multiple orgasms'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:24 am

i'm sure this has been asked or whatever but, i was looking over the first post in announcements the one from last july and it sort of came to me how much will be actually changing, so the question I have is like, is it gonna be like one day no 2.0 and the next day boom 2.0.. everything is different? or, is it going to be so familiar that on that next day everyone will just kind of get it? are there any plans for partial or test implementations of any of 2.0? thanks
Malvareth
Sojourner

Postby Malvareth » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:56 am

Could anyone link me to some/all of the threads with specific class details and discussion? Someone (Moritheil?) posted somewhere that x, x and x classes had already been discussed, but I can't find any of those threads. More specifically, I'm looking for the paladin discussion that was mentioned elsewhere.
Cirath
Sojourner

Postby Cirath » Mon Nov 05, 2007 3:16 pm

Malvareth wrote:Could anyone link me to some/all of the threads with specific class details and discussion? Someone (Moritheil?) posted somewhere that x, x and x classes had already been discussed, but I can't find any of those threads. More specifically, I'm looking for the paladin discussion that was mentioned elsewhere.

Wizards

Sorcerers

Those are the only two that have been officially discussed to any real degree (that I can remember). There are also threads about combat, magic, ranged weapons, experience, deities and domains, weapon enhancements, weapons and armor, and other fun stuff in the announcements forum.
Demuladon
Sojourner

Postby Demuladon » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:56 am

Will Paladins/Anti-paladins be able to quest spells in 2.0?

eg. would be cool for Anti to be able to quest Vampiric Curse
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:56 pm

i havent really been much for discussing 2.0 but i think i have a few questions now...

first.. i dont know if anything has been released about druids.. and i didnt find anything on a search.. but going to the chaotic evil-lawful good range of alignment will there be less restriction on druid alignment so that we dont end up going too good or evil by accident because we dont know how close we are to our alignment changing? or will there be some way of making sure that doesnt happen by a feat or something?

second.. when might the area docs be revisited to take into account the changes going to be coming in with 2.0? like items and the changes in alignment and spell focus items. i assume thats something cyric will be doing?

third... ... ... third... ill have to get back to you on that... cuz i forgot what i was gonna ask for this.
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:16 pm

Q: Is Toril 2.0 a myth?

Your move.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:47 pm

The Toril 2.0 alignment system - Law Neutrality Chaos Good Neutrality Evil is due for implementation within the next week or two. This will result in several changes, both immediate and potential.

1) Alignment will be set. There will be means put into place to allow for shifts along the axis, but they will no longer be accomplished by repetitively annihilating large masses of orcs or small fuzzy animals.

2) Companion to above, regular play will not impact your alignments. There will no longer be any need for druids to regularly 'maintain' their alignment.

3) The inclusion of the Lawful/Neutral/Chaotic axis will allow for the development of items and behaviours that interact with that axis, rather than the straight good/neutral/evil dynamic we have currently.

When this option becomes available, you will be given the option upon first logging in of modifying your alignment. For races with an alignment predisposition, the Good/Neutral/Evil axis will already be set. For those of you who have bucked the trend of that axis, that new value will be preserved. Evil elves and dwarves will remain so, etc.

While this has little immediate impact upon gameplay outside of the obvious irritant that alignment maintenance provides, it opens up greater options moving forward. Toril 2.0 is not a myth, it is real, and I am cherry-picking from the less system-deep alterations to be implementing in pieces.

Much like why fumble was finally removed after however many years of watching weapons go flying.
Eilistraee
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:55 pm

touche
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Apr 11, 2008 9:53 pm

Hrmm,

So is the plan to implement 2.0 now piece by piece?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:08 pm

Thanks for continuing to work on the mud Eilistraee. I hope you know it is very appreciated and known to the players.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:13 pm

I concur, we know how hard you're working and appreciate it.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:22 pm

Thirded.

And corth i believe the basic stance is that since Eil doesn't have access to recode the whole mud in one foul swoop as was Shev's plan he's doing it in pieces that he does have access to/is able to code. (correct me if i'm wrong Eil that's how i read it.)
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:43 pm

Pril wrote:Thirded.

And corth i believe the basic stance is that since Eil doesn't have access to recode the whole mud in one foul swoop as was Shev's plan he's doing it in pieces that he does have access to/is able to code. (correct me if i'm wrong Eil that's how i read it.)

I didn't think Eli knew how to code. I imagine that Shev is silently working and releasing bits and pieces to be imp'd. It looks like Eli has taken on the role of medium between morts/immorts.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:50 pm

Kifle wrote:
Pril wrote:Thirded.

I didn't think Eli knew how to code. I imagine that Shev is silently working and releasing bits and pieces to be imp'd. It looks like Eli has taken on the role of medium between morts/immorts.

Eil can code with the best of em. Eil is the only reason there is anyone logging into this game anymore. Eil is obviously masochistic, but hey, I'm ok with that.

I am not ok with "predispositioned" races. Drizzt comes from a "predispositioned" race... I guess the "cookie-cutter" mentality will persist. A shame, really.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:54 pm

My intent is to select what aspects of the 2.0 system can be implemented without needing to overhaul massive aspects of the code. Since part of the difficulty with a large project is trying to isolate those last bits that need polishing off, I'm trying to find what little bits I can and buff them off.

So far as I know, the overall plan for 2.0 is still unchanged. I'm just trying to make the eventual rollout a little bit easier. My POV with these little changes is that having something trumps having nothing, provided the something isn't junk.
Eilistraee
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:56 pm

I'm skeptical about 2.0 even doing any good. Without a major areas update to accompany it, and ideally a wipe, 2.0 is just a learning curve for people to overcome. Its also going to be buggy as hell for a LONG time and thats going to turn many people off. At this point, I just don't know if slapping a ton of new code in can do more good than ill. I'll wait and see though.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Apr 11, 2008 10:57 pm

Tasan wrote:
I am not ok with "predispositioned" races. Drizzt comes from a "predispositioned" race... I guess the "cookie-cutter" mentality will persist. A shame, really.

Part of 2.0 includes a lot more customizability in terms of racial choices. However that will also involve examining certain race's hometowns and mob AI/flag settings to make sure that it's more possible. Your standard, everyday elven guard for instance, wouldn't see a red aura around that elf walking down the street.

Right now however, these guards have these detection spells because of the rather heavy-handed approach to enforcing certain visions of the game. Since I'm not interested in undertaking the above examination, for now I'm sticking with the status quo on racial and class alignments.
Eilistraee
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:37 pm

Help file for this new alignment setup is currently available under 'help alignment_new'

As the help entry states, the descriptions were taken straight from the d20 gaming system.
Eilistraee
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sun Apr 13, 2008 4:33 am

Maybe a god poll on wipe vs. not. The only thing I'd like to _not_ see is quest spells. I think it's way annoying. There are people, even invokers *lol*, that haven't gotten to quest inferno or other 10th circ's. It's just a rush to hoard vs. fun (which questing spells isn't fun anyway.) For a quest spell, doom, specifically, falls on its face for damage. Just my 2 cents

Really hope 2.0 doesn't have that.
Yasden
Sojourner

Re: Toril 2.0: Q&A

Postby Yasden » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:32 am

Everyone would just start living in SPoB once we 46th if there was a full wipe.
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'
Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Birile
Sojourner

Re:

Postby Birile » Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:21 pm

Shevarash wrote:
Arilin Nydelahar wrote:Any idea of an estimated time of when you want to see it in by?

Yesterday?

Honestly, I'd like to see it in by this fall.

How about this Fall, Shev?

Can you divulge anything new on this since you've been indicating for a long time that you would and you haven't?
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Apr 16, 2008 4:39 pm

Yasden wrote:Everyone would just start living in SPoB once we 46th if there was a full wipe.

Have fun with that, I'll be in FK.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:49 am

hey, was on the chiontar ferry when a question came to mind. are there any plans on adding ships and oceans in 2.0? I think it's something alot of people have been talking about for quite a long time and I for one would love to see player controlled ships. you could have content only available through using a ship and it's a good cash sink with having to pay for the boat, could have different sizes.. speeds w/e not sure how much of a pain in the butt it is to make ocean terrain or w/e but I think it'd be pretty cool. thanks.
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:28 am

Touk the Surly Dwarven Pirate Captain would steal your ship or destroy it if it were crappier than the one he currently possessed. We cannot stop him!
Support Your Addiction! Vote for TorilMUD Today!

Top Mud Sites: http://www.topmudsites.com/cgi-bin/topmuds/rankem.cgi?id=shev

Why Nerox is jealous of me:

Nerox tells you 'man this thing is kicking my ass and i have blisters!'

Nerox tells you 'ok attempting it again put tape on my fingers for easier sliding'
Cap'n Touk
Sojourner

Postby Cap'n Touk » Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:25 am

Yasden wrote:Touk the Surly Dwarven Pirate Captain would steal your ship or destroy it if it were crappier than the one he currently possessed. We cannot stop him!

QFT
.. excepting you know damn well I'd still steal/destroy it even if I was in a canoe.

Touk
Klandal
Sojourner

Shaman

Postby Klandal » Wed May 14, 2008 5:20 pm

Shev,

I was wondering if you can elaborate about the role of the shaman class in 2.0. I'm concerned specifically about their ability to contribute anything unique if priests and mages get the abilities stated on the d20srd website. Two of the specialties of shamans are group heal and options for priest and mage spells. But in d20, priests get the ability to massheal and stoneskin, and mages have access to heal. I know you had commented on not needing specific classes in 2.0 (by allowing other class options to fill in holes), but I wanted reassurance that my beloved shaman class isn't made obsolete.

Thanks in advance.
Klandan
Ivac ASSOC:: 'man, i'd love to be a woman'

Ivac ASSOC:: 'multiple orgasms'
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Thu May 15, 2008 4:56 am

Yeah i'd hate to see shaman's become obsolete in 2.0. They are a great class to play and if the suddenly become useless.... Well that really suck. You guys must have something in mind for em. Please let us know :)

Pazak
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri May 16, 2008 2:53 am

There are some exciting plans for Shamans, but I'm not quite ready to talk about them. Sorry - I know that must be frustrating to hear about the class you enjoy playing.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri May 16, 2008 7:04 am

That really doesn't bode well for the 2.0 timeline.
Nurpy Fuzzyfeet
Sojourner

Postby Nurpy Fuzzyfeet » Fri May 16, 2008 11:34 pm

Gormal wrote:That really doesn't bode well for the 2.0 timeline.

Yeah.
Aristan group-says 'nurpy=tripod'

Shevarash GCC: 'Tiamat stands here, fighting Nurpy.'
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat May 17, 2008 12:12 am

Just to be clear, the Shaman changes are already complete in the 2.0 code-base.
Merrick
Sojourner

Postby Merrick » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:16 pm

Just wanted to ask in the current system it does not allow to recite scrolls during combat is that going to be the same in 2.0?
Merrick
Sojourner

Postby Merrick » Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:17 am

in 2.0 you make many mentions of tons of new spells for controlling and summoning monsters and the like. will there be a stabling system for this summonables so you do not have to start from the begining every time you log on?

Return to “Toril 2.0 Discussion”