Level or skilled requirement to use an item

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
fobble
Sojourner

Level or skilled requirement to use an item

Postby fobble » Thu Aug 07, 2008 6:17 pm

Hi I just realized that in order for holy avenger to proc there is a minimum level? or skill level? required. I also just realized some other items like glaive requires min level as well.

Is there a particular reason or logic behind it? If so, is it possible to spread this across certain top notch items or just remove it together?

It's unfair that items such as khanjari, titan's mattock, longsword of destruction, etched dagger, etc. etc. that's pretty dang powerful and speed up exping don't have level restriction but glaive or holy avenger do.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Re: Level or skilled requirement to use an item

Postby Shevarash » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:20 pm

There are lots of procs that either require a level limit or scale based on level. The reason in this case would be game balance, and theme. Personally,in most cases I am in favor of scaling on level, rather than requiring a level to even activate at all. If you feel like a specific proc should scale instead of limit we can look into those on an individual basis.

To use one of your examples, khanjaris scale based on level.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:51 pm

To expand the example, Holy Avenger scales based on skill level relative to your current level. If your skill level with two handed weapons remains close to the best you could be for your level or exceeds a certain plateau, there will be no problems.
Eilistraee
fobble
Sojourner

Postby fobble » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:22 pm

Ah! Thank you for explanation, is this scale/level restriction thing across the board or on certain powerhouse items?

I haven't played with holy avenger long enough to comment proc scale.
Eilistraee
Staff Member - Quests

Postby Eilistraee » Fri Aug 08, 2008 1:29 pm

There is no standard scaling used on procs. Many that I have written do have some degree of limit, but any limits have to be inserted into the actual proc routine itself.

I'd personally prefer if a similar style of control were used on all procs, but we're not designed for that right now so it only gets applied via attrition as weapons get examined and maybe updated.
Eilistraee
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Fri Aug 08, 2008 5:40 pm

I personally don't like the avenger change one bit. I understand the reasoning behind it as before a Paladin could power level to 20 with an avenger faster than just about any other class, but the way it works is more frustrating than anything else. I rolled a new paladin awhile back just to play with avenger because its so much fun and was pretty disappointed with the result.

The reason it stinks so much is your xping along nicely and you notch 2h so the proc kicks in, then you level and your back to !proc. I found that cycle to be a big turn off. I'd much prefer it be !proc till 30 if that means eventual consistency over an inconsistent proc that is non-functional every time you level.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Sun Aug 10, 2008 10:31 am

oblivion called proc scale with level plz
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:44 pm

Oblivion kinda does have a scaled proc. The undead it makes is according to level and undead points... higher the level the more UPs avail for undead creation.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”