Chrome

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Chrome

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 2:46 pm

So Google released a new browser yesterday, called Chrome. I've been using it, and so far it seems pretty good. I'm missing some of the features from Opera but shit loads so fast it isn't even funny.

Anyone else trying it out?
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Re: Chrome

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:47 pm

I'll let you test run it for me. I never really like firefox, but never tried opera. I'll stick with clunky ol' IE until something worth learning an becoming comfortable with comes along.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Arilin Nydelahar
Sojourner

Postby Arilin Nydelahar » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:29 pm

As always though, got to love Googles TOS.

1. Google reserves the right to automatically update and install Chrome.

This is becoming standard fare with much software these days, but worth noting.

"The software which you use may automatically download and install updates from time to time from Google. These updates are designed to improve, enhance and further develop the services and may take the form of bug fixes, enhanced functions, new software modules and completely new versions. You agree to receive such updates (and permit Google to deliver these to you) as part of your use of the services."

2. Although you retain any copyrights to content you own and use in the browser, Google says it has a right to display some of your content, in conjunction with promoting its services. Here's their exact wording.

"By submitting, posting or displaying the content you give Google a perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, royalty-free, and non-exclusive license to reproduce, adapt, modify, translate, publish, publicly perform, publicly display and distribute any content which you submit, post or display on or through, the services. This license is for the sole purpose of enabling Google to display, distribute and promote the services and may be revoked for certain services as defined in the additional terms of those services."

3. Don't be surprised to see more ads.

Traditionally, it is Web pages and not the browser itself that serves ads. Google isn't saying it will change this paradigm, but it's terms of service don't rule that out either.

"Some of the services are supported by advertising revenue and may display advertisements and promotions. These advertisements may be targeted to the content of information stored on the services, queries made through the services or other information.

The manner, mode and extent of advertising by Google on the services are subject to change without specific notice to you."
Shevarash OOC: 'what can I say, I'm attracted to crazy chicks and really short dudes'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:43 pm

There are quite a few people around the net just LOOKING for something wrong with Chrome, for some reason. A lot of them think Chrome will steal your information as you post it to the web.

I'm not saying they won't (although I don't think they would) but does anyone REALLY believe MS wouldn't either? I just don't get why Google is getting the third degree on this while no one cares about MS's EULA...
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:32 pm

Those three points are pretty nasty looking. So, Sarvis, are there any comparable listings in the MS EULA for IE? I'm curious as to whether these are benign "just in case" statements or are they actively going to be enforcing and taking full advantage of themm

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:36 pm

I don't know, though I do remember Teflor once linked to the Windows EULA which stated the EULA itself could be updated and changed without notification.

In other words, even if something isn't in their EULA that allows them to steal your data and sell it to the Commies all they need to do is update it.

Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:03 pm

At least with the Windows EULA you (used) to be able to extract the CD to an ISO image, modify the EULA.txt to say something like "I agree that Microsoft blows chunks.", save it, inject the file back into the ISO, burn the CD, install Windows, and take a video clicking on the newly reformed EULA for archival proof.

It's probably not legal, but it would probably have just about as good of a chance of holding up in court if challenged as the regular EULA would.
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:08 pm

Vaprak wrote:At least with the Windows EULA you (used) to be able to extract the CD to an ISO image, modify the EULA.txt to say something like "I agree that Microsoft blows chunks.", save it, inject the file back into the ISO, burn the CD, install Windows, and take a video clicking on the newly reformed EULA for archival proof.

It's probably not legal, but it would probably have just about as good of a chance of holding up in court if challenged as the regular EULA would.

Except that MS can afford better lawyers, while you'll probably have someone like Corth. :P

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:28 pm

Google's Rebecca Ward, Senior Product Counsel for Google Chrome, now tells Ars Technica that the company tries to reuse these licenses as much as possible, "in order to keep things simple for our users." Ward admits that sometimes "this means that the legal terms for a specific product may include terms that don't apply well to the use of that product" and says that Google is "working quickly to remove language from Section 11 of the current Google Chrome terms of service. This change will apply retroactively to all users who have downloaded Google Chrome." - http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20 ... ge-it.html

Heh... somehow I thought it might be a cut & paste from their other EULAs.

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:40 pm

It makes much more sense with #2, but I could still see the other two staying. Depending on how annoying #3 is will probably be the selling point for me.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:46 pm

The browser doesn't display any ads on it's own right now.

Another thing to keep in mind is that this will be open source, so even if Google did put in ads the open source community would likely rip it out immediately. You just might have to go get a build rather than downloading the executable from Google.

daggaz
Sojourner

Postby daggaz » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:11 pm

Well, my first and only experience with chrome so far is the kitchen computer in my old dorm. And I have to say, for a browser that was specifically created for audio/video enhancement, it sure does SUCK! Youtube videos constantly and consistantly freeze up or "hic" with this crappy program, and sometimes it just crashes outright. Firefox or Explorer work just fine.
Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:21 pm

I really like Chrome, and I used it for 3 days, but I cannot live with an HTML browser that doesn't block ads. It'll be interesting to see how the world's largest internet advertising provider manages to reconcile this particular conflict of interest.

It's also much better than internet exploder, but that goes without saying, ofc.
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Sep 19, 2008 6:34 pm

Xisiqomelir wrote:but I cannot live with an HTML browser that doesn't block ads.

Yeah, it's horrible when you can't take advantage of someone else's hard work for free! :P

Xisiqomelir
Sojourner

Postby Xisiqomelir » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Xisiqomelir wrote:but I cannot live with an HTML browser that doesn't block ads.

Yeah, it's horrible when you can't take advantage of someone else's hard work for free! :P

Should I smash my TiVo too?
Thus spake Shevarash: "Invokers are not going to be removed"

Gura: ..btw, being a dick is my god given right as an evil.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:39 pm

TiVo doesn't give you the ability to completely and totally ignore commercials.

Of course, because you can automatically fast-forward commercials tv studios are resorting more and more to product placement and those annoying "popup" ads... so you're really just making everyone suffer more than before. Thanks!

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”