Support my postage

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Valendhal
Sojourner

Support my postage

Postby Valendhal » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:06 pm

Made a post on www.mudconnector.com about Toril

Please check it out and reply!

Would be nice to have some replies and momentum .. get the word out for new players.

I enjoy playing Toril alot so I took it upon myself to write a promo dilly .. Was hoping for some screenshots I could link but, im not as good w formatting that kinda stuff.

Chris
Corth
Sojourner

Re: Support my postage

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Can't seem to find it. Have a more direct link?
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:02 pm

How ironic can you get, Corth?
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Tue Sep 23, 2008 8:56 pm

I dont see a recent post / "player review" for torilmud there?
BEER
Vikaz
Sojourner

Postby Vikaz » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:04 pm

V
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:12 pm

I agree with the guy who said it was generic. That post does nothing to really make you interested in the mud. Its just a lot of cliche stuff.

One thing I always thought that toril could market itself on is how it was an influence upon Brad McQuaid when he developed Everquest. Thats something which is unique and interesting. The fact that you can use mud clients with toril.. not so much.

Also, I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I'm not a complete idiot either. If I can't find something on Torilmud while trying to find it, how are others going to find it when they aren't even looking? I'm not sure thats the best place to advertise.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:30 am

Corth wrote:One thing I always thought that toril could market itself on is how it was an influence upon Brad McQuaid when he developed Everquest. Thats something which is unique and interesting. The fact that you can use mud clients with toril.. not so much.

A year or two before Vanguard came out, this could have been a selling point. But there's no value in dropping that name in the gaming community anymore.

The short version of the story: Brad sold publishing rights for Vanguard to Microsoft. Microsoft did what Microsoft does... they viewed Vanguard as a C-ranked asset, and all their attention shifted to the XB360. Vanguard got staffed with MS's bush-league management team, and they forced the game to beta long before it was ready. Faced with a devalued asset that was hemorrhaging money, MS dumped Vanguard, and Brad turned around and sold the publishing rights to SOE.

SOE came in, looked around, and fired everyone in the company except senior management.

With no notice.

In the parking lot.

Vanguard shipped, half-finished. It spiked up to 120,000 subscribers based on name recognition. Within three months, 70% of the user base was gone.

It's a really sad story. I had such high hopes for the game and the company. But, at the end of the day, I don't think associating Toril with all of that is going to generate positive buzz for the MUD.

*Edit: Source http://www.f13.net?itemid=562
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:42 pm

Oof.. yeah shows how much I keep up to date on that stuff. Bad idea!

Goddamned slippery mage.
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:59 am

Yeah... Vanguard HUGE disappointment. Hell ptesting it was a pita cus of the lag.
~\o--Lilira Shadowlyre--o/~

You group-say 'my chars will carry the component on them if I can.'
Inama group-says 'hopefully they'll have some sort of volume discounts on ress items for people like you'
You group-say 'oh? Ya think? *giggle*'
Inama group-says 'they could at least implement frequent dier miles'

Suzalize group-says 'oh, eya's over weight i bet'

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”