Book Review: a good bathroom reader

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
flib
Sojourner

Re: Book Review: a good bathroom reader

Postby flib » Mon Nov 03, 2008 10:35 pm

ya.. I usually just do a crossword puzzle..
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:41 pm

I'm reading Stephenie Meyer. Just finished Twilight. Started New Moon. This is a cheesy romance series recommended by my other half. Are we gonna start a toril general discussion book club!?! I'd be up for it. Something else has to be better than this crap I'm reading.

Vena
Vaprak
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Vaprak » Mon Nov 10, 2008 7:54 pm

The best part about the book Adriorn linked to is that it qualifies for Free SuperSaver shipping. This is especially great if you're looking for one of these to add to your order: http://www.amazon.com/Giant-Microbes-GM0400-GIANT-MICROBE/dp/B000JZ08ZS/ref=pd_sim_dbs_b_26

If you're looking for some lighter reading that isn't quite so rough on the ol' pocket book may I suggest:
http://www.amazon.com/Linear-Algebra-Georgi-E-Shilov/dp/048663518X/ref=pd_sim_b_6
http://www.amazon.com/Generalized-Inverses-Commutative-Algebra-Applications/dp/0415272483/ref=sid_dp_dp
and http://www.amazon.com/Cloudy-Chance-Meatballs-Judi-Barrett/dp/0590303848/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1226346832&sr=1-7
Vaprak, the Destroyer
-Formerly Tempus of HomelandMUD -- pre-merger
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 8:16 pm

Lol, damn nerds. The top two shelves of my bookshelf are devoted to math, but I usually read philosophy or physics in the shitter. Math needs paper to enjoy...
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Nov 10, 2008 9:33 pm

Wow, free shipping? Awesome.
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:19 pm

The toril book club sux0rz! My favorite book that I've read the past few years is Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffenegger. How about some fiction suggestions?

I especially like the reviews that go along with Adriorn's link. You know I usually cast teleport to get places myself.

Vena
Alta
Sojourner

Postby Alta » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:20 pm

Kifle wrote:Lol, damn nerds. The top two shelves of my bookshelf are devoted to math, but I usually read philosophy or physics in the shitter. Math needs paper to enjoy...

Paper? Do it in your head!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Nov 10, 2008 11:58 pm

Alta wrote:
Kifle wrote:Lol, damn nerds. The top two shelves of my bookshelf are devoted to math, but I usually read philosophy or physics in the shitter. Math needs paper to enjoy...

Paper? Do it in your head!

Lol, I'd love to see you do a differential in your head :)

As for fiction, I just finished turn of the screw not long ago and it was pretty good.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:14 am

I just finished reading Grapes of Wrath (somehow I missed that one in high school) and am working on Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. Next up is Walden.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Tue Nov 11, 2008 7:11 am

Portrait of the Artist was a huge piece of shit. Enormously overhyped trash. Walden is good Jake.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:30 pm

Gormal wrote:...am working on Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man.

Ewwwwwwwwwww. Had to read that for Irish Lit. back in college. Got maybe halfway through, then decided it just wasn't worth the pain.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:39 pm

I haven't had anything to read since Harry Potter ended.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
flib
Sojourner

Postby flib » Wed Nov 12, 2008 12:13 am

Faulkner had some really interesting short story stuff I read in college that I actually really liked, there was one called "barn burning" that was really moving. To me at least heh.

But the last good fiction novel I read was "anansi boys" by neil gaiman. Really fun, entertaining story.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:51 pm

Currently I'm rereading the wheel of time series by robert jordan, the next book in the series should be put out sometime next christmas even though he has passed on. Think his son is writing it. Anyways nother series im getting into is the Tom Clancy stuff never bothered to read it before, just started it a little while back not bad stuff for sure.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Thu Nov 13, 2008 6:32 pm

Laurel, if you like comedy, you should try the Stephanie Plum books by Janet Evanovich (if you haven't already). There are about 14 of them, starting with "One for the Money" and "Two for the Dough," and they're all numbered like that. The first one's not as good as the second one, and they just keep getting better until they hit number ten (I think it was ten, it was pretty horrible, like she had a ghostwriter for the first half of it). There were plenty of moments where I laughed out loud while reading them. I let people at work read mine, and as soon as they do, they're hooked and plow through the entire series in no time.

They're not physics and math, but they're fun!
Gormal tells you 'im a dwarven onion'
Gormal tells you 'always another beer-soaked layer'

Inama ASSOC:: 'though it may suit your fantasies to think so, i don't need oil for anything.'

Haley: Filthy lucre? I wash that lucre every day until it SHINES!
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:15 pm

Nah, Ash. If you want comedy, look no furthur than Mark Twain. He has comedy with substance and authority :)

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”