Quest rewards

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Quest rewards

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:06 pm

Just a quick reminder before 2.0 goes in.... can we truly evaluate the quest cost/reward system?

Bryn quested armor is significantly better than armor from at least one _significantly_ more intensive quest. The difference between the armor(s) is significant mainly because the stats of the scalemail are almost EXACTLY the stats of the old conquest armor with a small change. The reason i heard for the change was because of the point system "re-evaluation". Without going into detail about both quests, lets just say one is prettymuch a walk in the park comared to the other.

Stat Comparison...
a suit of mithril scalemail armor 2 * ac30 0/4 15hp PR-GAS * MAGIC NOBURN NO-THIEF NO-MAGE

the war armor of conquest * ac30 0/4 -3svpet PR-GAS * MAGIC BLESS ANTI-GOOD ANTI-NEUTRAL NOBURN NO-CLERIC NO-THIEF NO-MAGE

This is just one of many examples of such inconsistencies within the system.
loshaenar
Sojourner

Re: Quest rewards

Postby loshaenar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:25 am

a valid request, but bryn is only the tip of the iceberg. Most epic quests of prior generations have completely redundant rewards now, with each new zone in game loading rewards which make doing those quests a joke. Here are some prime examples:

Erlans
Kerns
Surtur
Oakvale
Randars

Yes, each of them might have 1 (or even 2!!!) items which you might use on a char.. maybe.. but in comparison to new wave regular zone items.. why would anyone bother?

time v reward has been eaten by the eq calc.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:16 am

because for some of them that 1 item isn't available anywhere else:

Erlans - fumes
Kerns - unholy
Surtur - ?
Oakvale - ?
Randars - mask
finders - ?
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:18 am

you're absolutely right prildo.. people should go through the rigors or camping IC, winning a clouds dogpile and then associated subquests for a single max agi slot...

OR

they could goto SM, KV, of CHP for .... ummm what is it now... potentially 6 slots?

how there has not been more rogue 4+ dam wristgear introduced into the game now i don't know... harder to write a proc for it maybe.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:49 am

If you don't understand how Randar's mask is an amazing reward, or how the gloves/wristguard are awesome as well, then you are not allowed to post in this thread.

Surtur offers a very nice scimitar and a handful of other items on par for the quest.

Oakvale has Brynable armor, plus a very nice ranger offhand weapon.

Kerns is easy as sin and offers the dk weapon plus !summon collar for elves and other nice door prizes.

Erlans has fumes, maxagi caster neck, and if you don't have ashstone swords, swiftwind is pretty ballin. Also - easy quest.

Finders is kind of meh.

Coidon (avernus) - This is one of the "epic" quests that needs to be looked at.

CM/Greydawn/FK - these 3 are the big problem with respect to time/risk vs reward.

Some newer quests have eclipsed older items, and since its done on a case-by-case basis, its a series of oversights on the areas people. But bitching about how there is an easier quest for the same is kind of misleading. What you're really looking for is upgrades to the gear you already have without having to do any work. Look at a quest like CM epic where its been completed twice, and the 4 of us ready to finish it again have been on the last steps for anywhere from one to 3 years because even with a 5dam ring, its not worth it.

Its pretty hard to complain about some of these quests when we're fighting Aralesh/Forka weekly, or people are asking for help with Scriax all of the time.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:06 am

Also: the rewards obviously suck for those quests if you're wearing them yourself.

Taishanos appears to be Grey Elf and is in excellent condition.
He has little gills in his neck!

<worn as a badge> the Badge of the Knights of Volheru (illuminating)
<worn on head> the scaled helm of the dragonkind (glowing)
<worn on eyes> a set of faerie goggles
<worn in ear> an opal earring
<worn in ear> an opal earring
<worn on face> a supple mask of luminous quicksilver
<worn around neck> a silver medallion with softly glowing runes
<worn around neck> a collar covered with glowing elven runes

<worn on body> a glittering robe of the astral traveler
<worn about body> the ancient mantle of Oberon
<component bag> a pouch of rubbery deepspawn hide
<worn about waist> a belt of flame enshrouded amethysts
<worn on arms> the bracers of elemental mastery
<held as shield> a shield of engorged eyeballs
<worn around wrist> a mithril band inlaid with sapphires
<worn around wrist> a mithril band inlaid with sapphires

<worn on hands> a pair of gauntlets of living oak
<worn on finger> a golden band beset with jewels
<worn on finger> a thin band of etched silver (illuminating)
<primary weapon> a flowing granite staff of elemental domination
<worn on legs> some breeches woven of shark hide
<worn on feet> a pair of leathern sandals of Mystra's holy high order
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:28 pm

CM - no one should bother doing any quests in this zone, as their rewards blow (and I mean really blow) compared to the time you spend. The only quest item from here I've kept is the mithril framed specs, for the !charm. Claws are a good reward too. This is a good xp zone, and that's it.

Airship - anything mage-related in this zone that comes from questing blows. Including magebanes. Mainly time farming, OVER AND OVER. Like CM. Panther gear is great though.

MD - (Yes, it has quests!) And most of the rewards blow. Sleeves/dagger not included.

BGR - .............................................................

Others have been mentioned above.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:18 pm

Wherein i agree with a lot of what has been said above, i think the point is being missed to some degree. To keep parity amongst time vs reward or difficulty vs reward there are a LOT of things to take into account. The epic quests are certainly a more complicated matter. Especially those that offer the most uber (other than tia) item to fill a slot. I'm suggesting something that should be much simpler. These non-epic quests that should be a significantly easier equasion.

And gormal, i think you're certainly missing my point. I'm not looking for upgrades for what i'm wearing by complaining. I'm looking for some balance among things. I guess the most frustrating thing seems to be the cyclic views on EQ and how the calculator applies. It appears as if the calculator has either been adjusted since the early rounds of global adjustments, or that zone builders have found ways of adding percieved difficulty to obtaining their eq, thereby bolstering the stats.

Whats even more sad is that chlora armor (which is part of the conquest armor) is more often worn and arguably equal to the conquest armor in many ways. This is just one example i'm most familiar with, i'm sure there are plenty of others that have sprouted up since i quit plaing as frequently.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:24 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:And gormal, i think you're certainly missing my point.

Well, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand that because you wear something doesn't mean WHAT you are wearing...was 'bad' - and just happening to be complaining about (risk vs. reward) doesn't mean the object is bad, but the effort vs. something relatively related you can get just by doing a single zone - due to that lame ass eq-calc. But then we'd be harping on how noobs don't understand game's protocol.

Reminds me of a situation where someone was true to character in being a dick to a ranger asking of archery, when Forger wasn't even sure what was going on...yet said grouch recently was compelled to post about understanding AC, upon grounds of newly discovered understanding of dynamic.

Makes sense to me!
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Wed Jan 28, 2009 11:05 pm

the point i was trying to make before you went kurt russel on my ass, jake... was not that the items suck outright... but that they suck in comparison to going to any number of standard new gen zones. The zone writers themselves have inflated eq now to the point that there is little to no reason at all to go through doing many of the older traditional quests..when the rewards themselves are surpassed by items obtainable after a 2 hour walk through on any given day.

thankyou for the snapshot of tai's eq tho. I wear gear on him to show i've done the quests...and am proud of it... not because it's better than anything else, which in many instances it's not.

the author of the thread was asking if the time vs reward concept could be looked at, particularly in regard to older quests (compared to newer) ..
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:23 am

again, there are certain players here who feel, for whatever reason, they can police the frequency of others' posts, or their views, or their understandings..whether erroneous or not, the attitude sucks ass. I guess when someone's bald and unemployed, they turn even more bitter! Squidward comes to mind
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:05 am

1. The equipment calculator hasn't been used in years.
2. Quests - gawd, I know. Don't have time though... feel free to come up with a solution.
3. Bald is sexy.

Dug
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:56 am

i hear you dug.

perhaps have one of the area writers take on the task of examining the rewards of the more done quests.. and reevaluate their rewards in light of modern eq. Negative stat it, whatever the hell people are doing now to make stuff more competitive, attractive whatever... but do it wholesale... i can appreciate that several of the new new quests require other quest reward items from older zones... and that..in a way this might encourage people to do some of the lesser done older zones... but really we're talking about a very very small number of individuals in relation to the active pbase.

if nothing else, your point that the eq calc hasn't been used in years should surely indicate that the equipment that WAS introduced under it should be re-looked at.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:09 am

Solution: +20 damroll +100 max_cha for any char not wearing a helmet.

Bald rules.
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:07 am

just cuz they arent wearing a helmet doesnt mean their bald

gormal fails again
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:36 am

They teach you about metaphors in the 7th grade.

So in two more years you'll understand, little boy.
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:29 am

gormal = ecchi

had to read that again but i get it now :P

*feels stupid*

the charisma comment shoulda so given that one away...
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 pm

Inames, tut tut!

You should know that someone that was in the military has the GODLY power to complain when someone else voices an opinion or concern..which exactly what said former military member 'fought' for. . pure logic!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:01 pm

Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:14 pm

Thilindel wrote:Inames, tut tut!

You should know that someone that was in the military has the GODLY power to complain when someone else voices an opinion or concern..which exactly what said former military member 'fought' for. . pure logic!

Also quotin dis.

o/~ Proud to be an American, where at least I know I can say stupid things without fear of ridicule. o/~
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:19 pm

if you believed that, you wouldn't bitch when your buddy kiryan posted..or anybody else for that matter.

Face it. You're just rude in general. I've never been anything but nice to you. Yet you felt the urge, as always, to be so abrasive. I don't know what your problem is, but you sure the hell aren't a good friend if you are that way to everybody. I've never asked for a damned thing from you.

I honestly don't get you. You pk ppl, and think it's funny. You make fun of anybody and have this attitude of game mechanics..yet when you are wrong yourself, 'whoopsie'. You're one hostile person. / end hijack
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:54 am

Gormal wrote:Image

Gormal, I read through the thread the other day so when I saw new posts in it I scrolled down to the bottom real quick.

When I saw an image of a guy torturing a goat, I thought to myself "Feh, somebody doing Gormal goat jokes again and I must have passed what I've already read." So I scrolled up, saw that you had posted it, and had to look really close to realize it was a guy grinding an axe :)
Nerox tells you 'Good deal, the other tanks I have don't wanna do it, and since your my special suicidal tank i figure you don't mind one bit!'

Alurissi tells you 'aren't you susposed to get sick or something and not beable to make tia so i can go? :P'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:19 am

It is not a biographical gif.
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:42 pm

A while back I traded gauntlets of stalking. Assuming that quests that long suck.

Then I figured out that those quests really don't suck.

I agree with Gormal. The quests rewards all have one item people want badly so they will do a lot to complete the quests.

And the quests are beeing done over and over.

If some quests were never done, then mabye those should be looked at. But I think Gormals walkthrough is very accurate.
spunionring
Sojourner

Postby spunionring » Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:51 pm

pretty sure this thread belongs in General Discussion
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Sat Jan 31, 2009 10:25 pm

Some of the BGR quests are really lame. some decent amount of time and you get 3 ac 3 hp type items

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”