Spell Durations

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Spell Durations

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sun Mar 15, 2009 10:39 pm

Any chance we can look at the duration of certain self-buffs? It seems to me that barkskin and armor are a great, lengthy duration, and spells like "bless", and "dark wrath" seem to expire every fight or every two fights. I realize these spells are in a circle that i can memorize multiples of, but so is armor.

Just a thought.

Del
Thilindel
Sojourner

Re: Spell Durations

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:51 am

One thing I've noticed, since your duration thought made me thing of a flanking fact is that MOBS' spells, like blind, silence, and a couple others last _longer_ than player's spells. I sure the hell wish they'd fix that.

But yes, as per this thread, bless is like 6? minutes. I don't know why it's shorter than armor. I know D&D's bless is fairly short iirc. 1 turn maybe?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:39 am

I think the toughest spells duration wise are the chanter ones. Sucks having to cast blur 30+ times per zone for 3 or more warriors. There is definitely no class with a more legitimate gripe about the agony of spell-up.
Dugmaren GCC: 'My goal as an areas staff member is to introduce you all to the great zone I call "outside”

Shevarash GCC: 'Funny - sometimes we do stuff like that. Add in some neat thing like weight-dependant stun, and THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE FOR A DECADE.'
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Mar 17, 2009 2:30 pm

Ardessa Moonblade wrote:I think the toughest spells duration wise are the chanter ones. Sucks having to cast blur 30+ times per zone for 3 or more warriors. There is definitely no class with a more legitimate gripe about the agony of spell-up.

Oh the agony of playing an overpowered class.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:02 pm

And how much do we see you volunteering to chant for us, jake?
Grundar tells you 'I took on the entire football team once. The only reason my mom knew later was because I had a runny nose'
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:31 pm

Chanting only ever gets overburdening for me when you throw a 4th spell into the picture. I can handle a pretty heavy chanting load just fine but throw in 3 or more melee that require haste/globe, plus blur/scale and everything else it does start to get a little taxing. Managing 3 spells is great, 4 starts to get a bit cumbersome and turns into a 2-3 hour spellup real quick. This could easily be remedied if the other classes with haste/globe weren't so damn lazy and could RELIABLY pick up some of the slack.
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Ardessa Moonblade
Sojourner

Postby Ardessa Moonblade » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:22 pm

You're missing the point Jake. You definitely _never_ volunteer to chant that I have seen. Also, a well equipped rogue is just as overpowered, if not more so, than an enchanter. They just don't have to cast 200+ spells per zone in a timely manner (or the group spanks).

The only other caster that's as thankless in zones would be a cleric. Is it a coincidence that these are the two classes that are generally most difficult to get for a zone group?
Dugmaren GCC: 'My goal as an areas staff member is to introduce you all to the great zone I call "outside”

Shevarash GCC: 'Funny - sometimes we do stuff like that. Add in some neat thing like weight-dependant stun, and THEN DON'T TELL ANYONE FOR A DECADE.'
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:47 am

Ardessa Moonblade wrote:They just don't have to cast 200+ spells per zone in a timely manner (or the group spanks).

you dont think your underestimating that just a hair?
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:33 pm

Elementalists have just as much to do as enchanters, but 95% of the people who show up to zone as one suck complete balls and only embody themself and spam lava burst/earthblood.

The way that blur currently works and the entire reason that its so powerful is because its not affected by how many times its hit like stoneskin. You're asking for enchanter downgrades because if you increase the duration, you pretty have to reduce its effectiveness in combat because there will be nearly no risk of it falling anymore. As for the rest of enchanter load, globes/hastes can easily be taken up by elem/lich but rarely are.

Lets be honest here, enchanter is not the super difficult class it once was with everyone running around as grey elves with oodles of maxagi. You can miss more than a few beats, and the group won't even notice.
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Gormal wrote:Elementalists have just as much to do as enchanters

LOL...

haha

hahaha

(catches breath)

You don't even need an ele to zone. (wipes tears from eyes)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:28 pm

DSR use to do zones with dwarven tanks and no blur btw.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
bawog
Sojourner

Postby bawog » Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:10 pm

Chanting is how you say a workhorse of a group, more than any other class in a dungeon group. However enchanters are seriously the most soloable class in game if you have the patience for it. Some crazy things I've solo'd as Nerox and if I were to get back in the swing of things I'd bet I could take a dragon 1v1. Would take me 4 hours but would be awesome none the less. Enchanters can tank like a champ when soloing and you take like 0 damage. Human chanters get that agi notch like crazy which makes suicidal chanterage even more fun. But I can understand how its a pain to have to cast 500+ spells in a typical zone, but hell with half the chanters using scripts takes the fun out of it. Yes I've made scripts but prefer the manual chanting with a bunch of aliases. How many tank could you keep fully spelled? 6-8 if needed if you time your tickes right cause you'd have spells following in seperate ticks instead of all at once, Which is what I'd do in zones as to lighten the burden in zones. While keeping the healers scaled at all times in the process. Chanting is a bunch of fun but in the end its not for everyone.
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Thilindel
Sojourner

Postby Thilindel » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:08 pm

bawog wrote:Some crazy things I've solo'd as Nerox and if I were to get back in the swing of things I'd bet I could take a dragon 1v1. Would take me 4 hours but would be awesome none the less.

Is that four hours before or after all the res'g you'd need? :P
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:28 am

This thread got me to put Thil back on ignore...

just sayin

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”