Obama Rips on Special Olympics, Atheletes

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Obama Rips on Special Olympics, Atheletes

Postby teflor the ranger » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:01 pm

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/e ... obama.html

"It was like the Special Olympics or something."

Slip? Or insight into a mind that has no faith in the weak?
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
avak
Sojourner

Re: Obama Rips on Special Olympics, Atheletes

Postby avak » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:08 am

Irony that you subtly associate the Special Olympics athletes and "the weak?"

That is the only interesting thing about the post.

"Most Americans Agree"
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:52 am

DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS LARRY? DO YOU SEE WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FIND A STRANGER IN THE ALPS?
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:53 am

This wouldn't have happened if he had this teleprompter.
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:57 am

Because someone had to...
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:59 am

avak wrote:Irony that you subtly associate the Special Olympics athletes and "the weak?"

What irony? The special olympics are for atheletes that have a condition that prevents them from competing on the same level as atheletes that don't have the condition. They are from "the weak", just as someone without massive amounts of wealth would be from "the poor." To this, there is nothing subtle, and a poorly fabricated implication on your part.

Unlike Obama, I believe in "the weak." I believe in the ability of an individual from third class to move themselves to first class. I believe in the ability of an individual who has a disability to perform competitively at levels that put them against the strong. I believe in the individual.

There's no irony in what I said, Avak, because I believe in "the weak" - that they can overcome the vast majority of "the strong." There's just a sarcastic President that makes fun of special olympians because he has no faith in people to elevate themselves.
Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:04 am

Or he could be just a man who made a terrible statement and who committed the crime of speech before thought which we have ALL done. Should he be held accountable because of his position? Of course he should! Had it been a white man talking about black folks in a racial matter, joke or not, it would have been rung thru the ringer til dead.

I had a Commanding Officer once who went under inquiry after a statement he made in front of several junior sailors .. we were having a Captain's call and one of the junior sailors asked why we didn't have Martin Luther King day off .. The CO responded "who needs Martin Luther COON day off" ... the Black Senior Enlisted Advisor who was his right hand man was so shocked he didn't know what to do! The inquiry happened and it turned out to be just a lack of thought before speech as apparent in most people. Oddly enough after that we got the day off and the girl who asked the question just *happened* to win a 2000$ computer at the Christmas party that year.

Not even close to the scope of a presidential gaffe but yes he is just a man, men (or women but I hope that was inferred) are not perfect.
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:43 pm

If he calls anyone a chest-thumping retard he gets my vote for supreme ruler of the galaxy.
Delmair Aamoren
Sojourner

Postby Delmair Aamoren » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:56 pm

Or you could see it as it is. Its a comedy show. Is it hard to believe that the president is also a human being, similar to all of us? Hard to believe he has a sense of humor and made a light-hearted and somewhat distasteful comment? I make jokes like that all the time. Of course, the difference is, i AM an asshole prettymuch fulltime.
amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:11 pm

Delmair Aamoren wrote:Or you could see it as it is. Its a comedy show. Is it hard to believe that the president is also a human being, similar to all of us? Hard to believe he has a sense of humor and made a light-hearted and somewhat distasteful comment? I make jokes like that all the time. Of course, the difference is, i AM an asshole prettymuch fulltime.

The president is not allowed to have a sense of humor its in the job description.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 pm

Pardon my party foul for those of you with your active ignore lists...I'll be quoting Teflor now.

----

Am I supposed to take this seriously or pee my pants laughing?

Unlike Obama, I believe in "the weak." I believe in the ability of an individual from third class to move themselves to first class. I believe in the ability of an individual who has a disability to perform competitively at levels that put them against the strong. I believe in the individual.

There's no irony in what I said, Avak, because I believe in "the weak" - that they can overcome the vast majority of "the strong." There's just a sarcastic President that makes fun of special olympians because he has no faith in people to elevate themselves.

Weak minds need weak tools, like an ignore function because they're unable to ignore or process something under their own mental power. Even worse when they have to talk about it amongst each other like some sort of weak-minded support group.

Stay strong Toril ignorers, Teflor believes in you.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:01 pm

Obama is not allowed to ever make jokes, drink beer, go to a basketball game, or fill out brackets. Remember, all of these things are signs that he doesn't care about the economy.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:54 pm

Not that I see it as a negative thing (quite the opposite really), but the same crap happened to Bush when he was in office, and I can't remember anyone actually saying what I'm reading in here about him.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:38 pm

avak wrote:Pardon my party foul for those of you with your active ignore lists...I'll be quoting Teflor now.

----

Am I supposed to take this seriously or pee my pants laughing?

Weak minds need weak tools, like an ignore function because they're unable to ignore or process something under their own mental power. Even worse when they have to talk about it amongst each other like some sort of weak-minded support group.

Stay strong Toril ignorers, Teflor believes in you.

Avak, using a label to identify someone is a far cry from using the people to make a joke. Surely, you have the intellectual capacity to understand that. Also, I do believe in the Toril ignorers. I'm not ignoring them.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:42 pm

amena wolfsnarl wrote:
Delmair Aamoren wrote:Or you could see it as it is. Its a comedy show. Is it hard to believe that the president is also a human being, similar to all of us? Hard to believe he has a sense of humor and made a light-hearted and somewhat distasteful comment? I make jokes like that all the time. Of course, the difference is, i AM an asshole prettymuch fulltime.

The president is not allowed to have a sense of humor its in the job description.

The president is allowed to have a sense of humor, I just believe that President Obama betrayed his core belief that individuals cannot elevate themselves and that the government or some higher power must elevate them because they are incapable.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:52 pm

Ambar wrote:Or he could be just a man who made a terrible statement and who committed the crime of speech before thought which we have ALL done. Should he be held accountable because of his position? Of course he should! Had it been a white man talking about black folks in a racial matter, joke or not, it would have been rung thru the ringer til dead.

I had a Commanding Officer once who went under inquiry after a statement he made in front of several junior sailors .. we were having a Captain's call and one of the junior sailors asked why we didn't have Martin Luther King day off .. The CO responded "who needs Martin Luther COON day off" ... the Black Senior Enlisted Advisor who was his right hand man was so shocked he didn't know what to do! The inquiry happened and it turned out to be just a lack of thought before speech as apparent in most people. Oddly enough after that we got the day off and the girl who asked the question just *happened* to win a 2000$ computer at the Christmas party that year.

Not even close to the scope of a presidential gaffe but yes he is just a man, men (or women but I hope that was inferred) are not perfect.

Woah. I'm not talking about holding Obama accountable for his gaffes on late-night TV. Not at all. I'm simply highlighting what I see as his core beliefs finally coming out in an unscripted moment.

It strikes me from Obama's joke, comparing his weakness to the special olympics, that Obama believes that special olympics atheletes are, due to their disability or handicap, unable to perform against non-disabled atheletes.

If this is Obama's core belief, he couldn't be further from the truth. The Special Olympics have shown time and time again that even with a disability, individuals can rise to put up perfect scores, world class track times, and elevate themselves from what other people think they are capable of doing.

I think Obama applies this core belief to his socio-economic thinking as well - that the lower class cannot elevate itself because it is disabled, that only the government can elevate them.

I want Mr. Obama to believe in the individual. That special olympics kid is going to blow your stupid bowling score right out of the water and make you look downright foolish.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Sat Mar 21, 2009 8:54 pm

OKay fine, serious response.

Making off the cuff jokes like the one he made is pretty standard fare. Pointed insults become part of the common, watered down vernacular and people stop thinking about the meaning. Think about all of the crazy slang that is out there...some examples: chick, babe, tit, ass, gyp, gay, retard, jock, dude, rule of thumb...the list is nearly endless.

So next time you get gypped, remember that you are denigrating an entire culture of seriously oppressed people.

The point is, while in very bad taste, the insult is almost impossible to be linked to an actual belief held by Obama. Look at the guy's platform on the disabled and you can see that he is fundamentally empathetic. And...unlike way too many other politicians, he accepted full responsibility for the gaff and has tried pretty hard to rectify the situation.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:04 pm

avak wrote:OKay fine, serious response.

Making off the cuff jokes like the one he made is pretty standard fare. Pointed insults become part of the common, watered down vernacular and people stop thinking about the meaning. Think about all of the crazy slang that is out there...some examples: chick, babe, tit, ass, gyp, gay, retard, jock, dude, rule of thumb...the list is nearly endless.

So next time you get gypped, remember that you are denigrating an entire culture of seriously oppressed people.

The point is, while in very bad taste, the insult is almost impossible to be linked to an actual belief held by Obama. Look at the guy's platform on the disabled and you can see that he is fundamentally empathetic. And...unlike way too many other politicians, he accepted full responsibility for the gaff and has tried pretty hard to rectify the situation.

Avak, I don't have a problem with Obama ripping on 'tards. Really, I rip on people around here all the time (cough). What I'm worried about is that Obama doesn't believe in the individual. If he carries that with him, we are in trouble as a free country that supports individuals.... because we may find ourselves to be a country that supports the government.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:35 am

... everyone is human ...

my point is that bush, any republican, pretty much any democrat or celebrity as well would've been lambasted. obama got a pass from the media and apparently 90% of people here as well.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:52 am

kiryan wrote:... everyone is human ...

my point is that bush, any republican, pretty much any democrat or celebrity as well would've been lambasted. obama got a pass from the media and apparently 90% of people here as well.

Two wrongs don't make a right; but, yeah, it is sad how that works.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

amena wolfsnarl
Sojourner

Postby amena wolfsnarl » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:28 am

Personally i think people all over the world need to loosen up and not take everything so personal....but than again im told im not very politcally correct for the most part. Its a joke....a bad one but still a joke.
Dugmaren tells you 'Welcome to Canada, don't blame us if you're stupid enough to get eaten by the wild life'
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:32 pm

Its the kind of thing that most of us would say without thinking twice. I prefer this version of Obama to the one that is dependent on his teleprompter.

Goddamned slippery mage.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:53 am

Corth wrote:Its the kind of thing that most of us would say without thinking twice. I prefer this version of Obama to the one that is dependent on his teleprompter.

Most of us shouldn't be President of the United States, and they still really shouldn't be dependent on a teleprompter.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:10 pm

When you are president, you are not allowed to make mistakes. Your not allowed to be negative, youre not allowed to talk down the economy. The impact of your words is too great. Remember what they said about Greenspan. His words moved markets. What happened when Bernake took over, he said one thing, said another thing at a dinner later that night that was misinterpreted by a financial neophyte reporter and the market had a god damn fit for a lot of reasons but mostly because Bernake's confirmation hearings focused on transparent (forecasted) communication with wall street. Then he starts making random comments in an uncontrolled inconventional setting.

Obama is the leader of the free world, the single most powerful man on Earth. Words of people of power overtly and subtely impacts the views of billions of people. Right or wrong there is the reality of this truth.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:24 am

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Corth wrote:Retard

The problem is that even if "retard" fell out of usage, it would be replaced with whatever is currently the correct term for special people. Oh yeah, it would be replaced with "special." I mean, they even state in the article that "retard" is an "out of favor medical term" which means it was once the correct way to refer to these people.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:14 pm

I still use the word retard. I reject censorship, especially on this kind of trivial politically correct bullshit.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:58 pm

kiryan wrote:I still use the word retard. I reject censorship, especially on this kind of trivial politically correct bullshit.

I fully agree. This country is breeding a population of pussies that will never be able to deal with anything.

Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:02 pm

Kifle wrote:
kiryan wrote:I still use the word retard. I reject censorship, especially on this kind of trivial politically correct bullshit.

I fully agree. This country is breeding a population of pussies that will never be able to deal with anything.

Luckily there's an ignore feature so that if someone mildly annoys you, you never have to see their posts!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 6:57 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Luckily there's an ignore feature so that if someone mildly annoys you, you never have to see their posts!

Occasionally, I click open the posts of people I have ignored, to see if they've started saying things that I might be interested in reading on a more regular basis. I've clicked open two or three of your posts this week, and they've all been complaints about the ignore feature. If you want my honest feedback, if you spent more time saying things that I wanted to read and less time pretending it's my fault that you're on my ignore list, I might actually take you off of it.

And what the hell, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and read your response to this, should you choose to write one. However, if you do, I'll ask you to consider that your typical response to honest feedback (arguing, blaming the other person, refusing to take advice) is the reason you're on my list in the first place. So what you do with this information is up to you.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:29 pm

Ragorn wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Occasionally, I click open the posts of people I have ignored, to see if they've started saying things that I might be interested in reading on a more regular basis. I've clicked open two or three of your posts this week, and they've all been complaints about the ignore feature. If you want my honest feedback, if you spent more time saying things that I wanted to read and less time pretending it's my fault that you're on my ignore list, I might actually take you off of it.

And what the hell, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and read your response to this, should you choose to write one. However, if you do, I'll ask you to consider that your typical response to honest feedback (arguing, blaming the other person, refusing to take advice) is the reason you're on my list in the first place. So what you do with this information is up to you.

Rags, the ignore feature is stupid. This is plain and simple. I do not understand why people cannot simply avoid replying to someone if they do not want to get into an argument with them. All it does is fracture our already limited "pbase" into small camps of people, while leaving those who chose to use it with only their last impressions of the person at what was probably a stressful (can't think of a better word) moment. You and I have agreed on MOST things, and have even mirrored posts since you started ignoring me... yet you see little beyond what you expect to see based on our last interaction. (Interesting that you only see me whining about ignore, as I haven't really done that very often!)

You can blame me all you want for not taking your advice, but quite frankly I was in love with the girl and despite having met someone else my feelings for Kayla are still not resolved. As near as I can tell your entire problem with me stems from that incident, but I stand by my stance that:

A) There was something genuine between us, however strained by the environment
B) No one in their right mind would listen to people telling them their love wasn't real
C) Especially at the moment it was lost

I'm human. Sue me.

EDIT: Also, the complaints against ignore have been partially tongue-in-cheek. I mean, you've got to see how it's a little funny that Kifle's talking about people being unable to deal with things almost immediately after ignoring me out of frustration. Talk about dealing! ;)

Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:51 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Ragorn wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Rags, the ignore feature is stupid. This is plain and simple. I do not understand why people cannot simply avoid replying to someone if they do not want to get into an argument with them. All it does is fracture our already limited "pbase" into small camps of people, while leaving those who chose to use it with only their last impressions of the person at what was probably a stressful (can't think of a better word) moment. You and I have agreed on MOST things, and have even mirrored posts since you started ignoring me... yet you see little beyond what you expect to see based on our last interaction. (Interesting that you only see me whining about ignore, as I haven't really done that very often!)

You can blame me all you want for not taking your advice, but quite frankly I was in love with the girl and despite having met someone else my feelings for Kayla are still not resolved. As near as I can tell your entire problem with me stems from that incident, but I stand by my stance that:

B) No one in their right mind would listen to people telling them their love wasn't real

I'm human. Sue me.

EDIT: Also, the complaints against ignore have been partially tongue-in-cheek. I mean, you've got to see how it's a little funny that Kifle's talking about people being unable to deal with things almost immediately after ignoring me out of frustration. Talk about dealing! ;)

How come every thread you post in leads to Kayla?

On a side note:

Good for you on meeting someone where did you guys meet? What's she like?
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:55 pm

Pril wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Ragorn wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Kifle wrote:

I'm human. Sue me.

How come every thread you post in leads to Kayla?

On a side note:

Good for you on meeting someone where did you guys meet? What's she like?

I wouldn't say _every_ thread.... but probably because she's still on my mind a lot.

I met the new girl at a nightclub last Friday, I figured there would be people out since it was the first "warm" night in forever but it was pretty much dead everywhere. She was alone when I noticed her and looked like she was bored and waiting for people, so I offered to buy her a drink. (Sounds a lot simpler when I say it than it was for me to actually do it!)

She seems cool so far, though I'm worried she may be crazy. We've already talked on the phone longer than we have in person and we haven't even had the first date yet. I mean, I'm no expert but that seems unusual. On the other hand she's hot (former model/former dancer) so I'm willing to see where things go.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:15 pm

Hai! What's up wetards?
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:42 pm

Sarvis wrote:Rags, the ignore feature is stupid. This is plain and simple. I do not understand why people cannot simply avoid replying to someone if they do not want to get into an argument with them.

Because I'm weak, and I have a hard time reading post after post that invoke a visceral reaction without jumping in to fight about it. The ignore feature allows me to browse the BBS without having to constantly battle that urge. The people on my ignore list are those people who have proven to me on not one, not a few, but a multitude of occasions, that their posting style is not conducive to the kind of experience I want to have on this forum. Ten years ago, I posted on the Sojourn board because I wanted to bitch and whine and flame the fuck out of people. I don't really want that kind of interaction with the Toril community anymore. That's why I extricate myself from political threads when they start to get too pitched, and that's also why I ignore people who continually incense me.

As near as I can tell your entire problem with me stems from [the Kayla] incident

Not at all. My problem with you, insomuch as I would call it that, stems from your general posting style. On the surface, you like to engage in debate on nearly any topic, even when the person you're talking to isn't looking to argue. When you do get into an argument, you will carry it on to absurd lengths, long after the original point of the argument gets lost. On occasion, you will allow your arguing style to drift toward personal attacks.

You've come to the forum asking for help on several occasions, and when the answers you're provided don't sync up with the answers you're looking to hear, you begin to get defensive and battle with the people who are trying to help you. It's not just the Kayla thread, I also distinctly remember the thread where you were looking for investment advice. You wanted to turn $600 into $1400 in under a year, and you didn't seem satisfied that half a dozen people were telling you that your expectations were unrealistic.

I've said this to you before... most of us come here to be friends. Sure, friends occasionally disagree, and they occasionally run each other over the rocks a little bit. But at the end of the day, when the posting is done, we go back to being friends. We've established bonds that last through a political disagreement or an argument over taxes. I don't have any of those bonds with you, because we've never interacted on a level that wasn't related to a BBS argument. On the other hand, Gormal is one of my best friends. So when Gormal annoys me (as he does now and then), we yell at each other a little, and then we shut the fuck up and go back to being friends. You and I have never had a friendship any closer than "being on the same side of an argument," so there's nothing to fall back on.

When I post my Facebook account and literally ask other Torilites to friend me, you could do so instead of making a snarky comment about being on my ignore list. And when you friend me, go have a look at my profile, see the kinds of things that I care about, and start building up a friendship. Make a nice comment about a cute picture of my daughter. Give me your XBox Live account name and play Rock Band with me and Nonox some night. Joke with me and Gormal about Battlestar Galactica. And when you come back to the BBS and post, post with the intention of being friends with the other people here, rather than adversaries. If you post as part of the community, then you'll be accepted as part of the community.
- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:59 pm

I want to have ragorn's babies.

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:07 pm

Me4!
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:08 am

Ragorn wrote:
Sarvis wrote:Rags, the ignore feature is stupid. This is plain and simple. I do not understand why people cannot simply avoid replying to someone if they do not want to get into an argument with them.

Because I'm weak, and I have a hard time reading post after post that invoke a visceral reaction without jumping in to fight about it. The ignore feature allows me to browse the BBS without having to constantly battle that urge. The people on my ignore list are those people who have proven to me on not one, not a few, but a multitude of occasions, that their posting style is not conducive to the kind of experience I want to have on this forum.

That's an interesting statement, considering I only appear to have provoked that urge in you twice:

1) Kayla
2) A thread you probably don't even care about, but which happened immediately after I failed to take your advice about Kayla

I mean really, is my belief that Europe _could_ be considered one economic entity that provocative? Corth, who is nearly my ideological opposite, didn't think it was so absurd!

In fact, as I've said, on most issues we agree and the only fault I could understand you finding is that I don't word things as well as you. I really try to avoid personal insults, but look back at your own posts where you claimed I wouldn't listen to reason before even making an argument... or compared me to Teflor for that matter. You ignored me when I vocalized annoyance over those cheap shots, yet are now claiming my arguments tend towards personal insults?

I won't claim I don't do it, but I try to avoid it. If I've insulted anyone, they probably just said something that pissed me off. Then again, when people are advocating genocide as the solution to starvation emotions can easily run high.

As for Facebook, I thought about joining and didn't for two reasons:

1) Given your recent insults, putting me on ignore AND post-ignore jibes I simply didn't think I'd be welcome
2) You guys know I fell for a stripper, and a lot of my co-workers are on facebook. I really don't feel like that news getting around the office

Also, I don't pay for XBox Live and I'm not into BSG... so sorry for not living up to your friend standards. Personally, I remember playing the MUD and looking up to you and having fun the few times we grouped. But I guess that's just me.

Kifle: Look, I'm sorry I mistook you for Christian and made an insulting post. I felt pretty insulted by your post calling out all the anti-conspiracy people though, so at least consider that there's plenty of angst to go around. Or keep ignoring people, and keep fracturing the community a bit more.

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:15 am

Kifle wrote:

Couldn't have said it better. That wasn't sarcasm was it LOL

Now just throw in something there about the government being responsible for this dependency with all its social programs and sensitivity agenda in schools and labor laws, and I'll send you your honorary tin hat.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:36 am

This thread can now get back on topic, I'm done derailing it.
- Ragorn
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:46 am

Ragorn wrote:This thread can now get back on topic, I'm done derailing it.

As if there was a point in the first place, we both know you weren't going to change your mind. We both know I shouldn't care, either. At least consider some introspection, we didn't reach this point on only my actions. Just like those arguments that go on forever don't happen with only me, either.

Ambar
Sojourner

Postby Ambar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:49 am

Sarvis wrote:As for Facebook, I thought about joining and didn't for two reasons:

1) Given your recent insults, putting me on ignore AND post-ignore jibes I simply didn't think I'd be welcome
2) You guys know I fell for a stripper, and a lot of my co-workers are on facebook. I really don't feel like that news getting around the office.

This speaks volumes to me ..

Why wouldn't you want the people to work with to find out that your love interest is a stripper? Would you have been embarassed? Thought you judged people on their own merits not what they do for a living .. By the way on Facebook you don't get this level of argument, you see the person behind the words .. give us all a chance :) We all may be geeky gamers but we have gorgeous children and other family members :)
"When a child is born, so is a grandmother."

-Italian Proverb
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:54 pm

Ambar wrote:
Sarvis wrote:As for Facebook, I thought about joining and didn't for two reasons:

2) You guys know I fell for a stripper, and a lot of my co-workers are on facebook. I really don't feel like that news getting around the office.

Why wouldn't you want the people to work with to find out that your love interest is a stripper? Would you have been embarassed? Thought you judged people on their own merits not what they do for a living .. By the way on Facebook you don't get this level of argument, you see the person behind the words .. give us all a chance :) We all may be geeky gamers but we have gorgeous children and other family members :)

Actually I wouldn't mind people knowing I was dating a stripper, I just think it looks pathetic to get played by one... which is the conclusion everyone here (except me) came to!

Llaaldara
Sojourner

Postby Llaaldara » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:05 pm

Still playing that same old violin I see.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:12 pm

Llaaldara wrote:Still playing that same old violin I see.

Actually I never really got to play her... ;)

Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Apr 03, 2009 9:51 pm

kiryan wrote:
Kifle wrote:

Couldn't have said it better. That wasn't sarcasm was it LOL

Now just throw in something there about the government being responsible for this dependency with all its social programs and sensitivity agenda in schools and labor laws, and I'll send you your honorary tin hat.

Lol, not sarcasm at all. I'm sick of all the PC bullshit and if I want to say midget, I'll say midget... or whatever the case may be. Sure, there are limitations. I probably wouldn't call a black person the N word, but most things are fair game. I'm sick of the sensitivity crap, and talking about feeeeelings. Give me the old days where the dad gave the kid a dirty look and the kid got scared shitless into not doing whatever it was that they were doing. Ok, I could rant on about this all day long, but it's just me screaming the same crap over and over.

As far as social programs, I think they are very useful and can raise productivity of any country, but, again, it's all in how you run them and how you regulate them. To this day, this country has done both poorly.

Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:37 pm

Sarvis wrote:
Ambar wrote:

Actually I wouldn't mind people knowing I was dating a stripper, I just think it looks pathetic to get played by one... which is the conclusion everyone here (except me) came to!

doesn't matter if she was a stripper or not. sluts are sluts.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:41 am

Dalar wrote:
Sarvis wrote:
Ambar wrote:

doesn't matter if she was a stripper or not. sluts are sluts.

Err... it's the "getting played" part that was important there. Sluttiness is ok, as evidenced by Mike's girlfriend who hit on a different guy every happy hour that she came to!

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”