Homeland update?

Feedback, bugs, and general gameplay related discussion.
grundar
Sojourner

Homeland update?

Postby grundar » Tue May 26, 2009 10:22 am

so its been a little over 5 years and 3 months since homeland merged with toril.
so far under 5% of the zones have come in, not even gonna mention the code that was supposedly going to be evaluated and brought in because other than erase and renting not deleting your spell list its not there.
the last homeland update was in august of last year.

i just wanted to point that out and say... whats up with that? now i know of the 4 homeland gods only lathander remains since the players here ran shiallia out (which was very douchy.. thanks assholes you know who you are) and tempus & vhaeraun fell off the face of the earth; but still it feels like 5 years would = at least a 30% transfer rate.
where is kenjin's? all the code to handle this zone is already in and yet its nowhere to be found.
where is soubar/underhalls?
mithril hall palace/vault anyone?

now i'm not just ragging on the areas staff, i'm calling all of you out. every coder/admin/rpq/areas = a labor force. put them to work. and i know there's a lot of us players who would gladly help with whatever (i know i've volunteered in the past) even if its just changing all those &c0 into &n symbols. let us help you to keep the game alive.
bawog
Sojourner

Re: Homeland update?

Postby bawog » Tue May 26, 2009 1:08 pm

I'd unfortunatly have to agree with grundar, although the pbase is dwindling there were many aspects of Homeland that was an allure to me. I've offered just as much as Grundar to assist, and crickets have always pinged the hallways. If there was to be a movement to burn the zones in and change ansi codes and that kind of thing, I'd gladly assist during my free time, and help bring that kind of stuff over. Just disheartening to see it go splat with some awesome zones and fun code stuff thats pretty much collecting dust.
Lonikiple group-says 'i remember this one time at izans, when nerox said tanks west, and kobob ran 2 west, and spanked the group, you guyz remember that?'

Tiamat shouts 'No, it is you who is fucked!'
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Tue May 26, 2009 3:30 pm

[ Greater Areas ] Dugmaren Brightmantle - we need more AREAS up here, I'm building an army!

You missed that apparently.. I'll double check with Lathander about doing the zones and what you'll need to do, I can't set you up with SVN access yet *poke Shev* but I can load your updates manually. Send me an email and what zone(s) you'd like to work on.

Dugmaren
dugmaren.toril@gmail.com
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed May 27, 2009 11:33 pm

grundar wrote:(which was very douchy.. thanks assholes you know who you are)

Shiallia got pissy and quit when someone pointed out how little effort actually got put into the 1800 crap/repeated rooms dumped into the game in place of a zone that had acquired mythical status for not being put in/finished(an albatross to be sure, but that pile of repetitive decriptions and little thought wasn't anywhere near Toril worthy). I can't say I feel too badly about that loss.

grundar wrote:now i'm not just ragging on the areas staff, i'm calling all of you out. every coder/admin/rpq/areas = a labor force. put them to work. and i know there's a lot of us players who would gladly help with whatever (i know i've volunteered in the past) even if its just changing all those &c0 into &n symbols. let us help you to keep the game alive.

Douche/Asshole. You don't have a clue how much time others have volunteered towards the effort. You don't know the politics behind any of it, you don't know how little support the people working on it have actually had.

Next time you call someone out, have a goddamned clue of what it is you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Danahg tells you 'yeah, luckily i kept most of it in my mouth and nasal membranes, ugh'

Dlur group-says 'I have a dead horse that I'm dragging down the shaft with my 4 corpses. Anyone want to help me beat it?'

Calladuran: There are other games to play if you want to play with yourself.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed May 27, 2009 11:35 pm

Tasan wrote:
grundar wrote:(which was very douchy.. thanks assholes you know who you are)

Shiallia got pissy and quit when someone pointed out how little effort actually got put into the 1800 crap/repeated rooms dumped into the game in place of a zone that had acquired mythical status for not being put in/finished(an albatross to be sure, but that pile of repetitive decriptions and little thought wasn't anywhere near Toril worthy). I can't say I feel too badly about that loss.

grundar wrote:now i'm not just ragging on the areas staff, i'm calling all of you out. every coder/admin/rpq/areas = a labor force. put them to work. and i know there's a lot of us players who would gladly help with whatever (i know i've volunteered in the past) even if its just changing all those &c0 into &n symbols. let us help you to keep the game alive.

Douche/Asshole. You don't have a clue how much time others have volunteered towards the effort. You don't know the politics behind any of it, you don't know how little support the people working on it have actually had.

Next time you call someone out, have a goddamned clue of what it is you're talking about before you open your mouth.

Instead of acting like Teflor, why not explain something? Otherwise you just get Teflor'd.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Thu May 28, 2009 2:02 am

Hi folks,

For the last eight months or so (mid September), real life has had my full attention for my career and family. That said, I'll give you a review on where things are right now.

1. Delimbiyr Valley - runs from the coast back along the River Delimbiyr into the Dawn Pass and through the Lonely Moor, along Evereska and into Pellanor's Prairie. It is a massive collection of zones:

Delimbiyr Route
Secomber
Delimbiyr Vale
Orc Ruins
Dawn Pass/Lonely Moor
Aumvor's
Orlbar
Greycloak Road
Pellanor's Prairie
Evereska
Evereska Way
Halfway Inn

It is about 2800 rooms. I don't want to add in something this big and not have it be up to snuff. As you can imagine, this is a big work that lots of folks have worked on over the years, notably HL Bane, Shiallia, and HL Sehanine. I'll talk to Dug about things that folks could help with.

2. Plane of Earth - I am currently working on this. I moved to work on this because players seem to want more high end zones and this seems like one of the easier high lvl HL zones to update and implement. I've added 100 rooms to the original EP to build Stonemire. There are still some rooms to write and some updating to do.

3. Integration of HL northland - this is to add in the Long Road, Mount Hotenow, Luskan, Neverwinter, Mere of Dead Men, Longsaddle, and lots of other little zones. Also, the person working on this has talked about writing Mirabar. This is another piece of work that could really get out of hand unless done in stages, but it is something that has been discussed.

In regard to your individual stuff:
MH Palace and supporting zones - I'd like to get the northland layout correct and as part of the MH relocation get in the MH palace/vault.

Soubar - this and its various zones are about 700 rooms, also, there is a good amount of room desc's that would need to go in. Finally, it would need some extra writing to be connected to the main mud and not all of its load come from within the zone so there is more detective work to do.

Kenjin's Tower - the trouble with this zone is beyond the proc fun, I don't know what to make of it. I've struggled with the idea of expanding this zone and making it more involved. The way it is now, it is a little zonelet with one tough fight. I think it needs to be more.

The ansi codes and the like convert pretty well. Trouble mostly comes with doors, quests, and loads. The delay has to do with wanting to make sure to introduce high quality material. I learned some important lessons on bringing in the support zones for Silverymoon, which I still have work to follow up on.

I talked to Dugmaren, and what I'd like is if you are interested in working on these projects, send me an email at Lathander@comcast.net. Send me who you play as well so I can find you on the mud and discuss it more.

Thanks,
Lath
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Thu May 28, 2009 5:36 am

Lathander wrote:It is a massive collection of zones:

Delimbiyr Route
Secomber
Delimbiyr Vale
Orc Ruins
Dawn Pass/Lonely Moor
Aumvor's
Orlbar
Greycloak Road
Pellanor's Prairie
Evereska
Evereska Way
Halfway Inn

aumvor's and orc ruins (if the zone part) are great and certainly fun but neither are high end zones unless they have been modified severely. basically what i see there is just flavor, with a few nice quests which when converted to toril will result in unimpressive items. it is kind of like that little barbarian town that was added with silverymoon.
looking forward to earth plane but not holding my breath on it being a high end zone.
work needs to go into Iyelnyr's plane of the abyss or whatever it was called, soubar/underhalls and temple of ghaunadaur, i'd mention more of the high level zones but after 5 years i'm drawing a blank :(

kenjin's is not really a 1 big fight kind of zone however it is a zonelet... and its fine as a zonelet really... the difficulty is there and the cr is not at all easy. not every zone brought in needs to be 3 hours long.

and now because of ego issues:
Tasan wrote:that pile of repetitive decriptions and little thought wasn't anywhere near Toril worthy

yes, not everyone can write a masterpiece like every single room in brass /sarcasm
grundar wrote:now i'm not just ragging on the areas staff, i'm calling all of you out.

Tasan wrote:Next time you call someone out, have a goddamned clue of what it is you're talking about before you open your mouth.

yeah english ASL + late night posting = fail... that was supposed to be i'm calling on all of you. spanish thought process got in the way.

Tasan wrote:Douche/Asshole. You don't have a clue how much time others have volunteered towards the effort. You don't know the politics behind any of it, you don't know how little support the people working on it have actually had.

no i dont know how much time people have volunteered towards the effort. and no i dont know the politics behind it, and unless you are directly related to the process or an imm you probably dont either. so maybe be quiet and try to understand what the intent of the original post was before jumping in like the idiotic flamer you seem to be. that is it to my response to your flames.. if you feel like you want to flame me some more do it over pm or in game. i'll try to use small words for you :P
Lathander
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Lathander » Fri May 29, 2009 1:16 am

Keep in mind that the power of a toril character compared to a homeland character is a lot higher. This means that fights have to be modified for difficulty and zones have to be lengthened.

In terms of making them harder for example Earth, you'll see more mob groups, more multiclassed casters, and the zone will be set for some of the mobs to repop. In regard to the Barbarian Encampment, which I think is what you are talking about, I do have a cool mid level quest/xp expansion planned for that, but it's finding the time to write it. Once again, if folks are interested in working on it, send an email to lathander@comcast.net
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri May 29, 2009 2:00 am

Can I help
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Lilira
Sojourner

Postby Lilira » Fri May 29, 2009 1:31 pm

every coder/admin/rpq/areas = a labor force. put them to work.

Last I checked, there is no RPQ any longer, as the whole sphere resigned, and our ONE consistent coder went with them. (Sorry Shev, but Eili had fixed more problems in the past year than you had in two or three.) That's four experienced Imms that left in one swoop. How many are left? Kinda a thin looking labor force, so check the numbers before hollering for them to pick up slack. For all we know, all of them are running full tilt on stuff.
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Fri May 29, 2009 5:25 pm

grundar wrote:unless you are directly related to the process or an imm you probably dont either. so maybe be quiet and try to understand what the intent of the original post was before jumping in like the idiotic flamer you seem to be. that is it to my response to your flames.. if you feel like you want to flame me some more do it over pm or in game. i'll try to use small words for you :P

I _was_ directly involved in it and gave up after months and months of no support. Lath and I worked tirelessly for 3 months without much assistance from anyone else(we were counting on help from the current Admins to get things moving along).

If you felt flamed, so be it.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:54 pm

I would love to have more Homeland zones implemented. I'm unaware of any coding requirements to do this, but it's possible I'm mistaken there. I strongly advise any of you with familiarity with these zones and the time to help to email Dugmaren and Lathander and see what you can do to help out.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:48 pm

Tasan wrote:
grundar wrote:(which was very douchy.. thanks assholes you know who you are

Shiallia got pissy and quit when someone pointed out how little effort actually got put into the 1800 crap/repeated rooms dumped into the game in place of a zone that had acquired mythical status for not being put in/finished(an albatross to be sure, but that pile of repetitive decriptions and little thought wasn't anywhere near Toril worthy). I can't say I feel too badly about that loss.)

Wrong. Shiallia did NOT get pissy and quit. Shiallia got shipped off to Basic Training, AIT, and then South Korea. As for my zone...it was nowhere near finished and the only reason it got put in when it did was because the players were bored and I wanted their input on how to make it better. As I recall, at the time I mentioned that the room descriptions would eventually be changed and that I just needed them to help with the playability of the zone. As for "little effort", well anyone who knew me as either Shiallia on Toril or Mielikki on Homeland had a good laugh over that comment, I am sure. Who are you, anyway?
shalath
Sojourner

Postby shalath » Fri Dec 17, 2010 3:59 pm

Karenthael wrote:Wrong. Shiallia did NOT get pissy and quit. Shiallia got shipped off to Basic Training, AIT, and then South Korea

Welcome back. I hope your tour of duty went well, and that you're back home safe and sound. To hell with the rest of it, I say :-)
[Profile edited by Board Admin. If you can't be civil, we'll fix it for you. -ed]
Karenthael
Sojourner

Postby Karenthael » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:02 am

I am safe and sound, but I am certainly not whole. That is ok though...I have taken the "K-mart mentallity" where the army is concerned. That being "you broke it, you bought it"! Hope to start playing a little in the future if the little monsters will go to bed on time. I am just glad to see that the game is still up in this age of WOW and DNDO.

Return to “T2 Gameplay Discussion Archive”