Game Update Notes: 7/25/2009 [Weapon Enchantments]

News and information on updates to the game.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Game Update Notes: 7/25/2009 [Weapon Enchantments]

Postby Shevarash » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:35 am

The following changes were added in the 7/25/2009 game update:

• Added weapon enchantments. All weapons can now be assigned a variety of
    enchantments, with 23 enchantments to start with. See the update notes
    on the forums for more detailed information.
  • 10 brand new weapons with various enchantments added to high level zones
    throughout the game. Happy hunting!
  • Conquest equipment will now show stats correctly on identify.

Weapon Enchantments

Weapon enchantments are magical properties that can be added to any weapon without the use of special procedures. There are currently 23 possible enchantments in the game, ranging from elemental damage to vampiric to keen (improved critical range) types. Some of these enchantments are invisble and work behind the scenes, while others can directly modify your damage messages. For instance, a flaming longsword will now show "Your powerful flaming slash barely wounds a tough old pirate". The modifiers to damage messages are limited to two words at most though, with various types taking precedence to keep the spam in check.

These enchantments are currently only available to areamakers to add to new or existing weapons, but there are lots of future possiblities for customization with this system. Here's a list of the current enchantments and their function:

• Acidic: +2d4 acid damage per hit
  • Flaming: +2d4 fire damage per hit
  • Icy: +2d4 cold damage per hit
  • Shocking: +2d4 electricity damage per hit
  • Sonic: +2d4 sonic damage per hit

• Acidic Burst: (+5d10 * crit mod of weapon) acid damage on critical hit
  • Flaming Burst: (+5d10 * crit mod of weapon) fire damage on critical hit
  • Icy Burst: (+5d10 * crit mod of weapon) cold damage on critical hit
  • Shocking Burst: (+5d10 * crit mod of weapon) electricity damage on critical hit
  • Sonic Burst: (+5d10 * crit mod of weapon) sonic damage on critical hit

• Holy: +3d5 holy damage per hit vs. evil align
  • Unholy: +3d5 unholy damage per hit vs. good align
  • Axiomatic: +3d5 lawful damage per hit vs. chaotic align
  • Anarchic: +3d5 chaotic damage per hit vs. lawful align

• Holy Burst: (+10d10 * crit mod of weapon) holy damage per hit vs. evil align on critical hit
  • Unholy Burst: (+10d10 * crit mod of weapon) unholy damage per hit vs. good align on critical hit
  • Axiomatic Burst: (+10d10 * crit mod of weapon) lawful damage per hit vs. chaotic align on critical hit
  • Anarchic Burst: (+10d10 * crit mod of weapon) chaotic damage per hit vs. lawful align on critical hit

• Vampiric: +3d4 and chance to heal back part of that on hit. Save vs. CON negates damage and heal.
  • Keen: Double the critical hit range of the weapon.
  • Ghost Touch: Halves the negative modifier to damage on wraithform NPCs.
  • Bane: +4d5 damage vs. one specified race, per hit.

New Weapons

To demonstrate the new weapon enchantments, we've placed 10 brand new weapons featuring a variety of the enchantments in existing high level zones. For the most part, these are in accessible zones that don't take too long to complete, but that's all the hint you're going to get. Good hunting, and please feel free to provide feedback on the weapons and the new feature in general.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Ragorn
Sojourner

Re: Game Update Notes: 7/25/2009 [Weapon Enchantments]

Postby Ragorn » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:28 pm

Feedback: Elemental damage affects every mob, but holy/unholy damage only affects certain alignments. 3.5 D&D corrects for this imbalance by making holy/unholy do twice as much damage as the elemental mods when you're attacking the proper target (2d6 for holy damage vs. evil mobs, vs. 1d6 for elemental damage vs. all mobs).

I don't know how your system is implemented, but it's something to consider. Is there a reason to desire a holy damage mod over a sonic damage mod under your current system?
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:36 pm

That's a good point Ragorn, thank you. The alignment modifiers should probably be bumped up to 3d5 or so.
loshaenar
Sojourner

Postby loshaenar » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:46 am

Is there an intention to modify existing weapons with these enchantments? I've seen a couple of the new toys in action (most notably the KV holy stick of !bit-edness), and the very first thing i thought of after the id. was our poor friend Mr Ambran.

So yeah, retroactive enchantments planned?
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:07 am

Yes. Asking for ETAs is not a good plan though.
Gukov
Sojourner

Postby Gukov » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:39 am

I've noticed that if you use a regular weapon primary, and an enchanted weapon secondary, you don't see any special effects when you hit with it... whether or not the effect is actually happening but just not showing I haven't a clue!

Also, if you use a weapon with one kind of elemental effect primary, and a different elemental effect secondary, every hit you land is represented as having the primary weapon effect even if it's with a weapon of a different enchantment.

Similarly, using an enchanted weapon primary and non-enchanted secondary makes it appear as if the secondary weapon has the effect of the primary weapon.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:40 am

Fixed the problem with the messages and raised damage on the alignment based enchantments. See the original post for the new numbers.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:08 pm

Shevarash wrote:Fixed the problem with the messages and raised damage on the alignment based enchantments. See the original post for the new numbers.

Sorry Shev, I should have noticed this sooner and worked it into my original response.

Bane weapons. I think Bane weapons are going to be really hard to balance. In the best case scenario, assuming the Bane weapons are good enough to be used at all, people are going to golf-bag them and switch them out only for the appropriate fights. If the Bane bonus isn't a signficant boost over elemental/holy weapons, people won't bother with them at all.

I'm not really sure how to balance this. At any rate, +4d5 against one race probably isn't competitve against +3d5 vs. an entire alignment.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Jul 29, 2009 4:03 pm

Not all dragons will have chaotic or lawful alignment!
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Dugmaren
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Dugmaren » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:26 pm

I'm a big fan of the golf bag actually.. it's a melee classes version of choosing which spell to cast. I always enjoyed fights more when it actually mattered if you started with an ebony to blind, then swapped out for damage, or used giantbane when fighting beards, or rock crusher, or chose skullsmasher vs. demons or torin in big group fights etc. etc. It's 1 more thing that seperates the skilled, resourceful, motivated player.. from everyone else.

Dug
Inames
Sojourner

Postby Inames » Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:26 am

i agree with duggy, thats why i keep all of my gear on me no matter what class im playing, i can loan stuff out if its needed, and i can swap out gear for different situations.

in regards to the bane weapons ragorn is somewhat right, 4d5 over 3d5 isnt even remotely comparable to the spectrum of targets they affect, but hes also wrong because the enchantments can stack without limit (right now). so for example against an orc of chaotic evil alignment with a weapon like "The holy icy morning star of chaotic orc bane" that has orc bane, holy, icy and axiomatic enchantments is going to border on game breaking..

with maybe a 3d4 base dice, +2d4 +3d5 +3d5 +4d5

your base damage is gonna be 23 minimum on a hit, your potential damage will be 70, PLUS the average hitters 45-60 damroll, its gonna be like everyones rolling around with khanjari's and serpent circlets in their pockets, and people with circlets will be putting out more damage than the average khanjari rogues***

a notice was given to area makers though that any weapons with enchantments have to be approved by duggy before they can be put in.. so i dont expect anything this big would happen any time soon without a seriously EPIC quest involved the likes of which doesnt exist in the game right now

god forbid i forget to mention burst effects, a similar weapon with a 5x crit mod could do an extra 250 damage just from the weapons effect, not to mention the 5x possibly 120 damage youd get normally for 600 damage, making a potential 850 damage in 1 hit, thats damn near what a single backstab does from many higher level rogue mobs, think about that with someone running an ogre warrior or maybe a dwarf rogue...

***this of course refers to melee types only which are capable of dual wielding, mages and priests could be compared similarly to other situations with haste/offensive harmony and dexterity based extra attacks, a cleric could possibly get 5 hits a round with divine power active...

in any case i think this is about as damn good as its gonna get and im very happy with how shev implemented it, i cant wait to see the real potential of these effects on future weapons and old weapons that should have at least one of these enchantments on them
[Dru 50] Inames (Grey Elf)
[Rog 50] Ishiras (Grey Elf)
[Enc 50] Aremat (Grey Elf)
[War 50] Amori (Grey Elf)
[Ran 50] Aninen (Grey Elf)
[Ele 50] Itanul (Grey Elf)
[Inv 50] Aleadis (Grey Elf)
[Bar 50] Ashire (Grey Elf)
[Cle 50] Isila (Grey Elf)
My Deviant Art Page
Botef
Sojourner

Postby Botef » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:02 pm

I asked this on GCC but got quickly sidetracked discussing aromatic procs.

Are the Axiomatic and Anarchic procs functional atm given that most mobs in game were created back before the new alignment system? In other words, do old mobs have chaotic or lawful flags or will these need to be manually updated by areas for the procs to function as intended?
Sunamit group-says 'imrex west, tibek backstab touk i think his name is on entry'
// Post Count +1
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:14 am

Please put Keen Shocking Shocking Burst on Randar's falchion and mithril axe vamp/sonic/sonic burst
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Desirsar
Sojourner

Postby Desirsar » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:28 am

Golf bag... switching in based on a given situation... makes it sound like it should be its own skill and have bonuses based on the higher of wisdom or intelligence, and swapping weapons during combat should require a skill roll... along with a weapon recovery command that requires a roll rather than just being able to pick up fumbled weapons (disarm, swapping, or otherwise)... crap, this belongs in another forum already. :)
grundar
Sojourner

Postby grundar » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:34 am

will the speed, spellstoring and everbright enchantments come in as well or are those gonna be strictly 2.0 material?
Thilindel on Irony: Glibble GCC: 'stupid assed whiners'

Return to “T2 Game Updates Archive”