Best way to learn Unix OS

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
Dalar
Sojourner

Best way to learn Unix OS

Postby Dalar » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:21 am

Thoughts?

I want to be able to get myself to a point to a working level in Unix to where I can at least run shit and troubleshoot some type of problems. Windows is so easy to learn a trained monkey could probably do it.
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.
Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Best way to learn Unix OS

Postby Sarvis » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:31 am

Honestly, just getting it installed and configured to your liking would teach you a lot about it. I've heard it's gotten better, but I gave up when I had to download the source code for my video driver a few years ago. There's a lot of things like that you need to do just to get it configured and running correctly.

After that, just use it like you would normally use Windows and you'll learn it.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:44 am

Yeah, just get an old box and install it on there. Configure it, and by the time you're done, you'll probably know more than enough to troubleshoot basic problems. If you want more indepth afterwards, just get a book.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:26 am

If you only know windows and is unsure about destroying computers etc. And also don't even have Linux. (Insert more disclaimers here).

Then my advice is just to get knoppix, its a small linux that you just run from a boot cd and you can just download an iso and burn it yourself.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:14 pm

kwirl I think posted the same thing once upon a time, you might want to reference that.

Basically, you learn almost nothing installing Linux... or even administering users in Linux.

You need to have a bigger project/goal or a disciplined approach to learning. For example, setting up a BBS... which requires the webserver, database and linux. Then over time, you do upgrades and stuff which breaks crap and you have to remove components, add it back, download new "modules" that require additional "packages" to run... After you run through that a couple of times, you will be pretty proficient. Install a hard drive, move your apps over to that ect ect ect...

I learned mostly by wanting to work with X Windows back when it wasn't an automatic install... that and wanting to run applications back before they had packages... you had to download source and compile the programs for your specific kernel / platform... sometimes that would require downloading additional code libraries or editing source to work around them. setting up mail / dns / dhcp / nfs/samba shares...
Eshacin
Sojourner

Postby Eshacin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:10 pm

You said Unix, not Linux, so get yourself Solaris (http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/opensolaris/get.jsp).

What you do with it depends whether you want to learn as a developer or a sysadmin. In any case, use the command line, not the GUI. Read all the man pages.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:15 pm

Yea you can get solaris for PC, but I'm pretty sure he actually wants to learn Linux.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:50 am

Naw it was Unix according to the job description :P
It will be fixed in Toril 2.0.

Aremat group-says 'tanks i highly suggest investing 20 silver in training weapons from cm to cut down on the losing scales to shield'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:05 am

my bad thought you said linux in IM
Annam
Staff Member - Areas

Postby Annam » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:06 am

Yes .. installing it ... successfully for one (especially like gentoo, bsd, .. anything non-redhat) forces you to learn alot about it.

Alternatively you can buy a Mac computer and shell to darwin linux .. and from there learn some basic crap like how to edit files, cat, tail, grep, ftp, some of the basics atleast.

Plus you are purchasing one sexy computer!

Shrug? :P

Oh Unix? Just read that too .. well its not much different .. linux just has more features sometimes helpful in compiling shit (i think .. ie rpm, emerge) .. and Unix you have to mantually untar shit and compile it ..

P.S. .. Im in Miami Trick!
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:15 am

Solaris is certified UNIX. Mac OS X 10.5 is also certified UNIX. Here is a list of Certified UNIX systems.

I know we have some Solaris and AIX, but HP-UX is the most prevalent where I work.
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Get Toril Guides and Maps at Todrael's Lair
Get Item Stats at TorilEQ

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”