Doctor Exercises Individual Rights

Life, the universe, and everything.
Forum rules
- No personal attacks against players or staff members - please be civil!
- No posting of mature images/links, keep content SFW. If it's NSFW, don't post it on these forums.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Doctor Exercises Individual Rights

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:34 am

Sarvis
Sojourner

Re: Doctor Exercises Individual Rights

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:51 am

You ever hear of Fark.com? You should try it out sometime. It's much better suited to posting just a headline with a link, and has the added bonus of thousands of people for you to troll!
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:13 am

Sarvis shitting where he eats?!
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:48 am

Thanks for contributing.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 12:40 pm

Corth wrote:Sarvis shitting where he eats?!

More that I'm getting tired of Teffie and Kiryan shitting all over the place. Threads like this are like "diarrhea of the keyboard."
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:39 pm

BTW - Tef, that shouldn't be construed as an insult towards you. I recall that Sarvis spends a lot of time at Fark, so it was interesting to me that he was directing you there even though he considers you a troll.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:44 pm

Ah... I think I misinterpreted you too.

The funny thing with Fark is that there are so many trolls I wouldn't even notice him. :P

Plus I don't usually pay attention to the politics tab over there, so unless he gets in the habit of posting video game troll threads he's off my radar!
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:15 pm

it'll be interesting to see what happens to him. I believe part of a doctor's certification is an agreement to hold themselves to a very high ethical standard. I read an article where he mentions it and says, I can post the sign if they choose not to come in great (meaning he will treat them if they ignore the sign). Since the boards are made up of doctors they could conceivably take his license if they decide its serious enough (i believe).
Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Mon Apr 05, 2010 3:58 pm

I am not for doctors having individual rights.

What will be next? That he stops helping people born on a tuesday, or blacks?

Doctors have taken an oath to help cure everybody. And I think he shows disrespect for that oath.

I agree with Sarvis that is it kind of wierd to link to a story from an extremly neutral website, and then not writing your own oppinion on the matter.

Said doctor could do whatever he wants with writing banners, or demonstrating. If he was a carpenter I also couldn't care less if he only worked for McCain affiliates. It is the doctor patient selection combo that I dislike.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 05, 2010 4:24 pm

i find it unfair to apply the standard to doctors only because you feel their work is too important to be applied in a manipulative/control fashion. If carpentry was a limited supply, highly trained and educated position, I'm sure you'd have a different opinion on whether they should discriminate.

If you can discriminate you can discriminate, if you can't discriminate, then you're not free to choose. I've actually been thinking about starting a free computer help line. I only have enough time and energy to help so many people, so I'm going to have to say no to some of them. Shouldn't I be free to choose not to help rude people vs nice? the neediest people vs easier people to help, poor vs rich (newer computer)? Do I have to take all comers or should I be able to choose who I help? Why can't I just help religious people, or republicans? Why is it different if I am a non/for profit vs a guy with no "business"?

Concierge medicine (basically a country club membership to a private practice) is a raging topic in the medical world. They essentially take themselves off the market to the poor when a practice adopts this business model. One doctor on NPR said he does more charity care now (than when he was medicaid/medicare), and more to the point, he said now he can choose who I help. He isn't going to help people who are obese and keep eating chicken by the bucket or the diabetic who doesn't manage their illness. Why shouldn't he be free to choose how to practice, who to help? When did he become "enslaved" (his word) to the state through poor medicaid/medicare renumeration?
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:49 pm

The world is against individual freedom. They will make this doctor conform if it kills him.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:53 pm

Sarvis wrote:More that I'm getting tired of Teffie and Kiryan shitting all over the place. Threads like this are like "diarrhea of the keyboard."

I bring up topics of discussion like this because I think it's important for people to stay informed. I think the views and replies validate my posting. If you don't want it, just don't bother with it. It's not a big deal.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:56 pm

Disoputlip wrote:Doctors have taken an oath to help cure everybody. And I think he shows disrespect for that oath.

No, they don't.
avak
Sojourner

Postby avak » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:02 pm

No...it really is diarrhea of the keyboard...as Sarvis puts it...not some nonsense education quest.

Disoputlip
Sojourner

Postby Disoputlip » Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:10 am

Yes, I don't give a rats arse on who you help with your computer hotline. You are the carpenter of my story.

Let me try and sketch a scenario where I don't think a doctor has individual rights:

Said doctor comes by a car crash: Lying and almost dying from bleeding is a driver with an "I love Obama" t-shirt.

Here I hope the doctor would ignore whatever individual right and help the driver.

To be honest I am unsure if they actually take an oath. But doctors thoughout history do have some codex that generally apply.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:56 am

Many doctors do take the Hippocratic oath, but nowhere does it surrender their right to chose their patients.

By the way, doctors often refuse to treat patients of all sorts in many manners and in many ways. There are many situations in which it places them at too much liability, such as when a first responder would be a more appropriate choice.

Doctors have to consider their practices above all else, because if they cannot practice the best medicine for their patients, then they are doing their industry, themselves, and the general public a disfavor.

Doctors should also do their best to protect their industry and their right to practice medicine how they see fit, particularly from the intrusion of government.

Now, I may not like how this particular doctor has decided to be a doctor, but that does not give me a right to force him to do things a different way.

Especially, and this is the most important part - I am not above him. I don't have the right to tell him what to do. Pretending that it's what the people want, or that there's something morally wrong with his choice is not an excuse for forcing someone to comply with the way I think or feel.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:57 am

avak wrote:blah blah blah blah stupid stupid stupid

Again, if you don't like it, learn to ignore it. It's not a big deal unless for some reason you can't wrap your head around skipping some text.

Return to “T2 General Discussion Archive”