Who is outspending whom?

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

Who is outspending whom?

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:58 pm

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1010/44216.html

I was kind of wondering about this. Every day we hear about how Democrats are being out fund raised and out spent by Republicans.

Yet every month for the last year +, it seems that the Democrat party organizations outraise Republicans. I think there was an article last couple weeks about the Republican Governers group outraising Democrats, but the DNCC has been massively outraising the RNCC.

"So far, the latest figures show that the Democratic Party machinery has outraised its Republican counterpart in this campaign cycle by almost $270 million.
The money race totals come to $856 million for the Democratic committees and their aligned outside groups, compared to $677 for their Republican adversaries, based on figures compiled by the Center for Responsive Politics. "

Included in that total: conservative groups have spent $169 million on ads attacking Democratic House and Senate candidates, compared to $80 million by liberal-leaning groups, based on figures as of Tuesday morning. "

Do you Democrats ever get tired of the lies? We heard so much about it when Bush was in charge... nary a word since the immaculation of the professor.

--

On a slightly related topic. This is getting ridiculous. 1.5 billion spent on the election? Obama raised and spent what 750 million for the presidency, McCain accepted public financing at what 100 million? Meg Whitman is up to like 140 million on the governor's race? I sure as hell don't want to go back to pre Citizens United where only Democrats were allowed to raise and spend millions through unions, but we are talking about a ridiculous amount of money being spent to influence and control the American voter... on both sides.
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Re: Who is outspending whom?

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:01 pm

Democrats lie through their teeth. This is not new.
Teflor does. Teflor does not.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:06 pm

Would be interesting if every Election in the US basically just had 2 debates and that's it. Everything else was outlawed and the funding went to eliminate the US Debt. How soon would we be able to be in the positive?
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:17 pm

its always laws laws laws. Something is unfair, make a law. Jimmeny we're like a bunch of children running to daddy. Influening elections won't stop until it stops working.

First you outlaw campaign donations, then corporate run ads, politicking at church and bible study, rallies at the washington monument. There is no end, there is only the question of which side can legislate tougher laws that disproportionately affect the opposition to give them an advantage. Its the same point Roberts was making in Citizens United.

I don't know how we're ever going to get there, but I know laws is not the right answer.

Oh and media companies must be getting just filthy rich (or at least getting their heads above water) over the last 3 years.

/end rant

---
If I wasn't libertarian, I'd probably start with...

election day should be a national holiday (our local college made election day a holiday this year)... open, public debate attendance should be a requirement of being a candidate... Party affiliations should be completely dropped off ballots. If you don't know who your candidate is... should you really be voting? You should be able to vote by telephone (or Internet).
Last edited by kiryan on Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:27 pm

Way to pick out the one insignificant thing I said Kiryan :)

Let me rephrase. What if all politicians decided all of a sudden to take their campain contributions and donate them towards the national debt. Is that better?

kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:31 pm

sorry about jumping on you about the law thing, I might've gone overboard.

but ...why would I support giving the government having more money?

Are you trying to get me fired up ;)
teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:35 pm

If people really care about the downtrodden masses, they could (should) just give their money to the poor and leave all of the grubby politicians, incompetent government, and blatantly corrupt system out of it.
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:41 pm

kiryan wrote:sorry about jumping on you about the law thing, I might've gone overboard.

but ...why would I support giving the government having more money?

Are you trying to get me fired up ;)

Well I think that all the campaign contributions are a better way to whittle away at the national debt rather than trying to raise taxes. Or maybe instead of whittling away at the national debt use the money to fund some of the services that the government wants to raise taxes for. The basic idea behind this would be to get rid of taxes using the money that goes to waste to just talk crap about people. (Yeah I know it's not really going to waste since it changes how people vote but still.)

teflor the ranger
Sojourner

Postby teflor the ranger » Wed Oct 27, 2010 6:46 pm

It is the duty of Americans to keep the government in check and prevent them from unsustainable spending.

Government outspends our children's future money as is. It has to be stopped.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:20 pm

It sounds good Pril, and I generally like and agree with you, but the government having money is the problem. If you pay off the debt, they just spend the money they were going to spend on the debt.

Taxes don't have to go up, spending has to go down.

Additionally, I'd probably be in favor of a tax hike... shocking, not sure I really meant that. The catch is that we can only hike taxes on people don't actually pay any taxes. This would include me; I pay next to no taxes because of 6 dependents and interest on my mortgage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Nov 18, 2010 5:16 pm

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/1110/45321.html

Soros, a billionaire who has been among the most generous donors to liberal causes over the years, has recently indicated he no longer intends to fund the kind of independent political advertising campaigns he backed in 2004 and that Republican allies used to bombard Democrats in the midterm elections.

--

So who started this? Right, Democrats.

And since we've been talking about Foxnews manufacturing outrage in a different thread... Who was trying to manufacture outrage about all this EVIL money wildly conjectured to have come from foreign sources that was massively outspending Democrats in the midterms? Oh right, that was Obama.

Read an article the other day, Healthcare PACs gave 58% of their campaign contributions to Democrats. OMG THEY'RE IN THE POCKET OF BIG EVIL HEALTH CARE COMPANIES!!!

Return to “Current Events & Politics”