grandma at 23?

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

grandma at 23?

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:55 pm

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/ne ... st-23.html

I knew the country before I even read the article lol, Romania.

married a "jewelery seller" at 11 (he was 13). I assume that means street kid selling jewlerly on the street.

Her daughter "left to wed" at age 10 and had her baby 6 months later.

I think most of our statutory laws make sex under age 12 or so illegal always... but how about legal grandmahood at 24?
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: grandma at 23?

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:59 pm

It's like Fox News up in here today.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:05 pm

I bet if she went to church, this never would have happened.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:51 pm

we'll partially right.

where is this more likely to occur...

A) in a society where there are no limitations on sexual conduct where sex is encouraged as healthy for all ages and we're taught that anal, oral and vaginal sex is just all sex? With anyone they want?

B) in a society that believes in monogamous relationships and no sex before marriage?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:55 pm

kiryan wrote:we'll partially right.

A) in a society where there are no limitations on sexual conduct where sex is encouraged as healthy for all ages and we're taught that anal, oral and vaginal sex is just all sex? With anyone they want?

B) in a society that believes in monogamous relationships and no sex before marriage?

In B.

Remember, they DID get married first. It was actually common in Western society until "recently" for girls to be married off by 12-13. (As an added kicker, that was probably before menarche back in those days.)

If you can't have sex until you marry, you marry sooner. That way you can regret your impulsive choice even longer!
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:18 pm

fair enough criticism. although giving birth 6 months after getting married... is not exactly sex after marriage.

Let me restate my A and B.

A) very permissive sexual behavior (liberal in our society)

vs

B) much stricter social limits on marriage and sexual behavior (conservative in our society)
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:37 pm

kiryan wrote:fair enough criticism. although giving birth 6 months after getting married... is not exactly sex after marriage.

Let me restate my A and B.

A) very permissive sexual behavior (liberal in our society)

vs

B) much stricter social limits on marriage and sexual behavior (conservative in our society)

C) Doesn't matter.

People will have sex regardless, and they will do it before marriage regardless. You act as if bastards were not born before the '20s or something. :roll:
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 5:45 pm

Is it in the public's interest for young children to have sex, get married and have children? Can we outlaw it in the interests of the public good?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:02 pm

You can try. It will work less well than outlawing drugs has.

You want kids to not have sex? Teach them about sex. Students who receive comprehensive sex education are less likely to have sex than students who receive abstinence only education.

http://www.jahonline.org/article/S1054-139X(07)00426-0/abstract

" Abstinence-only education did not reduce the likelihood of engaging in vaginal intercourse (ORadj = .8, 95% CI = .51–1.31, p = .40), but comprehensive sex education was marginally associated with a lower likelihood of reporting having engaged in vaginal intercourse"

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:46 pm

kiryan wrote:we'll partially right.

Evolution/natural selection/intelligent design/chuck norris elimination of species might happen faster.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:48 pm

Your entire argument and most of your arguments are based on an idea that nothing can change towards a more conservative. We'll I'll remind you that while abstitence only education is often blamed for an increase in pregnancy rates (including the recent surge), its causative effect is poorly supported.

Interestingly enough, this article on huffingtonpost indicates that there were huge increases in teens choosing not to have sex.

About 27 percent of men and 29 percent of young females reported they'd never had a sexual encounter up from 22% about 5 years earlier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/0 ... ence_Is_Up

Which is why it's notable that abstinence seems to be on the rise among Americans within that age range. Bill Albert, chief program officer for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, told U.S. News and World Report that he is encouraged by the news that more teenagers and 20-somethings are abstaining. He says that the general view among adults has been that teenagers are having more and more sex, but the new data appears to contradict that.

(in the slides)
Researchers found that in 2002, around 22 percent of males and females between 15 and 24 reported that they'd never engaged in sexual contact but in 2006 and 2008, that changed.

About 27 percent of men and 29 percent of young females reported they'd never had a sexual encounter.
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:02 pm

News flash: Waiting until after age 20 to get married is an extremely recent phenomenon, relatively speaking.

I know you like to paint everything as liberal/evil vs. conservative/good, but it gets tiresome to watch you keep trying to pound round pegs into square holes in every thread. Not everybody who does something you disapprove of is a "liberal."
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:04 pm

kiryan wrote:Your entire argument and most of your arguments are based on an idea that nothing can change towards a more conservative. We'll I'll remind you that while abstitence only education is often blamed for an increase in pregnancy rates (including the recent surge), its causative effect is poorly supported.

Interestingly enough, this article on huffingtonpost indicates that there were huge increases in teens choosing not to have sex.

About 27 percent of men and 29 percent of young females reported they'd never had a sexual encounter up from 22% about 5 years earlier.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/0 ... ence_Is_Up

Which is why it's notable that abstinence seems to be on the rise among Americans within that age range. Bill Albert, chief program officer for the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, told U.S. News and World Report that he is encouraged by the news that more teenagers and 20-somethings are abstaining. He says that the general view among adults has been that teenagers are having more and more sex, but the new data appears to contradict that.

(in the slides)
Researchers found that in 2002, around 22 percent of males and females between 15 and 24 reported that they'd never engaged in sexual contact but in 2006 and 2008, that changed.

About 27 percent of men and 29 percent of young females reported they'd never had a sexual encounter.

Yes, in a society where sexuality and knowledge is very open we're seeing a reduction in the number of teens choosing to have sex.

Interesting, that.

Almost as if once educated, people are more likely to make rational decisions.

Meanwhile in Romania you have 11 year olds having sex and getting married. Wonder what a country that is 86% Eastern Orthodox teaches about sex?

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:15 pm

Sarvis, as usual is discounting the fact that America is largely religious.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:38 am

Bristol Palin says hi!

Abstinence education is a vital part of teaching kids about sexuality. It is FAR from the only education to give.....if you live in the real world.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 pm

GILF?!
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:09 pm

Corth wrote:GILF?!

Did you SEE the picture? Blech!

Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:10 pm

What can I say ... low standards? :)

Didn't see the picture. Just love the concept of GILF. :)
Having said all that, the situation has been handled, so this thread is pretty much at an end. -Kossuth

Goddamned slippery mage.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:29 pm

nah dawg, you're just equal opportunity!

Return to “Current Events & Politics”