More CPS bad behavior

Minimum moderation and heated debates.
kiryan
Sojourner

More CPS bad behavior

Postby kiryan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:09 am

This woman appears to be an EXCEPTIONAL mother. Based on what I read in these two articles... CPS tried to take her child away from her because she refused to give the child psychotropic drugs that the state is now saying were unnecessary. The best part of this whole case is that the CPS worker responsible for this made her decision after 2 weeks. I suspect that the mother was very uncooperative with the social workers which lead to a negative report... but who knows maybe mom was neglecting the child... of course mom firing a gun does suggest some outside of the normal range psychology.

http://www.prisonplanet.com/swat-attack ... child.html

Detroit mother Maryanne Godboldo faces multiple felony charges and is being held on $500,000 bond after a 10-hour standoff with a heavily armed police SWAT team. Godboldo was protecting her 13-year-old daughter from unnecessary medication ordered by the state.

== medication determined immediately afterwards to not be necessary

Despite her handicap, the child swam, sang, danced and played the piano. However, as the home schooled girl approached middle school age, she apparently wanted to start attending public school, and therefore had to “catch up” on immunizations the state insists are required under color of law.

== running for great mom award (child had foot amputated as a baby).

Maryanne Godboldo sought help from the Children’s Center, an organization claiming to help families with at-risk children. Godboldo told relatives the medications ordered by the doctor worsened symptoms, including behavioral problems.

== these people actually believe they know the best way for you to raise your kid. I worked for Department human services, I can assure you the conversations they hold are frightening and they sit around and tell each other how great they are for saving this child and that child. they are like adrenaline junkies looking for the next story where they can be the hero. I also worked for a non profit speciailzing in residential treatment of kids with severe behavioral problems... social work attracts a certain kind of person... often a damaged psyche.

When Godboldo refused to give her child the prescribed medication, Child Protective Services became involved. CPS obtained a warrant to remove the girl, but Maryanne reportedly refused to surrender the child to the state.

== a complete med list is not provided, but psychotropic drugs are specifically mentioned.

“Child Protective Services was trying to force her child to take a dangerous medication, Risperdal, against her will. We have been able to get a court order signed by [Wayne County Circuit Court] Judge Richard Skutt, staying the administration of this drug, which is not approved by the FDA in such cases. That’s why they put her in Hawthorne, so they could dope her up,” family attorney Allison Folmar told the media.

== http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmedhealth/PMH0000944/ bunches of side effects listed. but basically i bet mom decided she didn't want to give her kid mood altering drugs. she probably thinks her daughter is fine, the psych apparently didn't.

The Godboldo case is yet another example of CPS working in league with the police in order to kidnap children. Godboldo was obviously an excellent mother and not a threat to the police. The fact they sent a tank to her apartment is more evidence that the state will react in a violent knee-jerk fashion when its authority is challenged.

== they sent a fuking tank and the swat team... because she apparently fired a shot into her ceiling to prevent the social workers / police from taking her daughter. the swat team really? a tank really?

http://www.freep.com/article/20110414/N ... -right-now

Authorities have determined there is no emergency need for a 13-year-old girl to be on medication, after the girl's mother was accused of medically neglecting her by not giving her a psychotropic drug.

== so basically the premise for removing the child was trumped up. If a real investigation is tolerated, I bet this social workers comes out looking bad. I mean she decided within 2 weeks to remove the child from the mother's custody. There had better have been some real serious life threatening danger to necessitate removal.

Godboldo has said she should have the right to decide treatment for her daughter, whom she was weaning off the drug in favor of holistic methods.

== I agree with her... i mean unless the kid is truly psyhcotic and a danger ot herself or others i think the mother should have great liberty to determine the medical treatment.

Though officials said Wednesday that there was no immediate need to give the girl medication, Michigan Assistant Attorney General David Law said he may reintroduce the issue later if the need arises.

== having trouble seeing why the daughter needed to be removed from mom's custody

Mia Wenk, a CPS worker, testified earlier this month that she filed a petition containing multiple allegations of neglect, along with the order to take the child into protective custody, two weeks after she became involved in the case March 10.

== 2 weeks to decide that mom was an unfit parent. I can't wait to see what these neglect allegations are. Probaly crap related to being homeschooled and the ubuiquitous "failure to thrive"
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Re: More CPS bad behavior

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:50 pm

CPS departments across the nation are incentivized to remove children from their homes and place them under state custody - they get funds and bigger budgets, the more children they take.
"You see, the devil haunts a hungry man.
If you don’t wanna join him, you got to beat him."
- Kris Kristofferson (To Beat the Devil)
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:19 pm

I would tend to discount the financial motive... the problem is the culture of the department. They see themselves as heroes and knowing whats best, they emphasize what they want and minimize the dissenting view point.

Further adding to the culture problem is how its all setup. These cases and decisions tend to hinge on what the social worker recommends... because the legal system necessarily defers to the people with the first hand information. If the social worker says we need to get this kid out of here, they steam roll it through because no one wants to find out a kid died because of bueracracy. They'd rather jerk the kid out then say I'm sorry later (actually they never say I'm sorry, they say it was justified but now we believe the home is the best place).

Remember the polygamist sect, they took 450 children into custody due to a prank call. The judge rebuked them and they basically ignored him and told the sect members they could only have their kids back if they agreed to DHS's requirements (including future monitoring and access to the children).

I had an encouter with DHS, when laurel got ticketed for leaving the kids in the car, DHS made a trip out to my house because she was cited for child neglect.

They ignored a latched and shut gate (claiming it was open which is a lie) and entered my property and walked around the outside noting "hazzards" (in order to build a case). We weren't home and my neighbors gave her the 3rd degree, so she decided to call next time. I refused to admit her into the house or property, but met her outside the home without the children.

You have to be very careful when you deal with these people, you don't want to antagonize but you don't want to trust either, because they have immense discretion and can turn a mole hill into a mountain. I would advise you always get counsel and you never let them talk to your kids, alone or otherwise without counsel.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:54 pm

Don't discount the financial motive. What do you think speeding tickets are from?
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 pm

I agree with financial motive, but comparing it to speeding tickets isn't really applicable because those speeding are actually committing a crime 100% of the time.
Fotex group-says 'Behold! penis!'

Kifle puts on his robe and wizard hat.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor "You can beat a tank with a shovel!!1!1!!one!!1!uno!!"
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:17 pm

People having their children removed are generally guilty as well. The problem is that the crimes are too loosely defined, too easily prosecuted, and the corrective action by the state is anti-family.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:45 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:People having their children removed are generally guilty as well. The problem is that the crimes are too loosely defined, too easily prosecuted, and the corrective action by the state is anti-family.

Crimes that are too loosely defined aren't crimes in my book. I should have clarified. For example, the Federal Analogue Act, in writing and in prosecution through, is so maliable and loosely defined that it allows anything to be prosecuted under it. I think this happens when subjectivity is invited into legislation -- which isn't the case with speeding. You either are or you aren't. Neglect is subjected to perspective and zealotry. It is easily seen in this case. So I agree with you.

Thalidyrr tells you 'Yeah, you know, getting it like a jackhammer wears you out.'

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:11 am

Very true that subjectiveness doesn't enter into speeding according to the law. It does enter subjectiveness in the enforcement, however, which can be dangerous. I'm sure I could have thought up a better analogy.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:28 am

I don't see much financial impetus for the average social worker... but I do agree there is some in a justification for them to exist. On the other hand, cops writing tickets in some jurisdictions have a huge impact directly on the funding their departments in many cases. WIthout X tickets, they lose Y of their fellow officers.

People having their children removed are generally guilty as well.

If the government looks close enough they'll find that you have done something illegal. Once they find one thing, they are in your life. Then they just build and annoy you from there until they get you on something big.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Apr 26, 2011 8:47 pm

Nicholas Cage either pushed his wife who was holding their 5 yo or knocked him to the ground directly where the boy received "minor abrasion to his left knee".

Now CPS is investigating it as child abuse. A skinned knee is grounds for a CPS investigation. This is what your money goes to... to pay CPS child abuse detectives, probably northward of $30 an hour + great benefits to investigate skinned knees.

http://www.nydailynews.com/gossip/2011/ ... _son_.html

Cage, who was arrested in New Orleans on April 16 following an alleged physical altercation with his wife, Alice Kim, "fell while holding" their 5-year-old son Ka-El, Sgt. Stuart Smith wrote in his report, obtained by RadarOnline.com.

"The fall caused the five (5) year old child to suffer a minor abrasion to his left knee, and she [Kim] then recovered the child," the officer said.

A male witness, however, told police that he "observed Mr. Cage pull the male child to the ground by his hand."

"Based upon this information and Mrs. Cage's earlier statement, a child-abuse detective was notified," the report said, later noting that the detective "determined that no further investigation was merited, but if needed, a representative of the Child Protective Service may be contacted and an investigation launched."
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Wed Apr 27, 2011 4:53 pm

Kiryan: Tough on teachers. No time for firefighters. Opposed to child protection services.

Your posterboy for Montana militia.
- Ragorn
Shar: Leave the moaning to the people who have real issues to moan about like rangers or newbies.
Corth: Go ask out a chick that doesn't wiggle her poon in people's faces for a living.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:59 pm

Ragorn wrote:Kiryan: Tough on teachers. No time for firefighters. Opposed to child protection services.

Your posterboy for Montana militia.

And what's wrong with Montana militia? This country was earned by the blood of such militia when it was conceived in liberty.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:18 pm

Really Ragorn, an investigation by a detective over a skinned knee.

My kid rubbed a quarter sized patch of his forehead raw "trying to dry his hair" and it was reported to CPS by his teacher. Does the government really need a file somewhere with this report in it?

Seriously... Even if I had hit him should that warrant a CPS referral and undoubtedly an investigation?

crazy is defending a system and government that is allowed to investigate and exercise dominion over your life/family over a skinned knee.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:21 pm

kiryan wrote:crazy is defending a system and government that is allowed to investigate and exercise dominion over your life/family over a skinned knee.

Sure, if your idea of dominion over your family means getting to beat them.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 7:23 pm

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:crazy is defending a system and government that is allowed to investigate and exercise dominion over your life/family over a skinned knee.

Sure, if your idea of dominion over your family means getting to beat them.

You truly have no idea how children are raised worldwide.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Apr 28, 2011 2:40 am

funny how hit turned into beat. a "MINOR" abrasion (skinned knee) or a quarter sized equivalent abrasion on the forehead is now beating if you admit to having "hit" your child.
Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Thu Apr 28, 2011 4:55 am

Interestingly, if a child's penis should be protected as a baby, should it also enjoy protections in the womb?
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Thu Apr 28, 2011 12:58 pm

kiryan wrote:funny how hit turned into beat. a "MINOR" abrasion (skinned knee) or a quarter sized equivalent abrasion on the forehead is now beating if you admit to having "hit" your child.

Main Entry: beat
Part of Speech: verb
Definition: injure by striking
Synonyms: bang, bash, bat, batter, belt, box, break, bruise, buffet, cane, castigate, clout, club, collide, crush, cudgel, drub, flagellate, flail, flog, hammer, hit, knock, lambaste*, lash, lick*, maltreat, mash, maul, pelt, pound, pummel, punch, punish, ram, rap, slap, slug, smack, spank, strike, swat, thrash, thresh, thump, thwack, trounce, wallop, whale, whip

Farking synonyms how do they work?

Exactly what level of hitting a kid is ok, Kiryan? You realize how much damage a single punch could do? Do you have the slightest concept that a skinned knee is only because the kid landed on his knee rather than his head? Are you incapable of understanding that the investigation is actually because Keifer was acting violent towards his family?

You don't wait until the kid shows up half dead at the hospital to start investigating this shit.
<a href="http://www.code-haven.com">Code Haven</a> - For all your programming needs.

I detest what you write, but I would give my life to make it possible for you to continue to write. - Some Guy Who Paraphrased Voltaire
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:47 am

Why wait fort the skinned knee. Lets just open up investigations on ALL parents with kids.

Or how about we open up investigations on all poor uneducated minority parents (statistically more prone to abusing their children).

It was Nicholas Cage and yes I realize that it was because he was acting violently towards his family. and you should realize that that isn't even the real reason, the real reason is because his wife refuses to press charges, testify or assist them at all... so they need another avenue to get involved. A skinned knee, its the excuse that cases are built on.
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:45 am

kiryan wrote:Why wait fort the skinned knee. Lets just open up investigations on ALL parents with kids.

Or how about we open up investigations on all poor uneducated minority parents (statistically more prone to abusing their children).

It was Nicholas Cage and yes I realize that it was because he was acting violently towards his family. and you should realize that that isn't even the real reason, the real reason is because his wife refuses to press charges, testify or assist them at all... so they need another avenue to get involved. A skinned knee, its the excuse that cases are built on.

So he pushes his wife and kid to the ground, and you see no need to investigate. Then you spout racial slurs as a defense.

Class act.

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:19 pm

Sarvis wrote:
kiryan wrote:Why wait fort the skinned knee. Lets just open up investigations on ALL parents with kids.

So he pushes his wife and kid to the ground, and you see no need to investigate. Then you spout racial slurs as a defense.

Class act.

what racial slur?
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:25 pm

Teflor Lyorian wrote:
Sarvis wrote:

Class act.

what racial slur?

I think he was refering to this... Not really a lure but whatever...

"Or how about we open up investigations on all poor uneducated minority parents (statistically more prone to abusing their children). "
The best of WTF statments of '06
--------------------------------------------------------
Danila group-says 'afk, machine gun in backyard started shooting cats'
Danila group-says 'afk a sec, 3 horned monkeys trying to steal hose'
Danila group-says 'afk, koala bear trying to mount my car'
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 12, 2011 11:25 pm

an advice columnist's research on "Can a parent lose custody of his child because he's a neo-Nazi?"

the answer and some of the history are interesting.

http://www.slate.com/id/2293768/?gt1=38001

Yes. Custody disputes are decided under the vague "best interests of the child" standard

...New Jersey took custody of three children named Adolf Hitler, Jocelynn Aryan Nation, and Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie from their parents, Heath and Deborah Campbell. In that case, however, extremist views were just a symptom of a larger pattern indicating serious psychological instability on the parents' part....

Canada has been even more aggressive. ... The main issue in the case was not whether the father was unstable, but rather the simple fact that he was inculcating his children with fringe views.

Instead of denying custody outright, judges may order parents not to discuss certain views with their children. ... There was a series of cases in the 1970s and 1980s in which judges ordered parents not to promote homosexuality to their children. In recent years, gay parents have petitioned judges to forbid ex-spouses from bashing homosexuals in front of the kids. A fews years ago, a New York court barred a father who had named his children Mujahid Daniel and Mujahid David from talking about militant Islam with his children.

...In 2003, a Pennsylvania judge prohibited a fundamentalist Mormon father from advocating polygamy to his daughter. Three years later, the state supreme court reversed the order, deciding that parents have a right to teach their faith to their children—even if the behavior in question is illegal—as long as the religious lessons don't present an immediate danger. Parents have also been prohibited from trashing an ex-spouse's religious views in front of the kids.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu May 19, 2011 11:02 pm

Hmm... I don't know how I feel about this one.

Mom takes a paid "acting" job by a UK company to basically say she gave her daughter botox. She does subsequent follow up interviews in the US with a couple organizations. CPS sees the reports, takes her daughter away.

Was there enough justification of "imminent" harm to take the kid away? Did the mom not get any chance to explain to CPS the hoax? Does it matter if its a hoax or not since she put her kid on tv and coached her into acting or lieing depending on what oyu want to call it...

I dunno, removal is supposed to be because of threat of imminent harm. At least I think thats the standard...

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to the story, like she gets sued for lieing or fraud by the UK company and the US companies... I just don't know. its f*kin wierd.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... x-2486495/
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri May 20, 2011 9:17 am

kiryan wrote:Hmm... I don't know how I feel about this one.

Mom takes a paid "acting" job by a UK company to basically say she gave her daughter botox. She does subsequent follow up interviews in the US with a couple organizations. CPS sees the reports, takes her daughter away.

Was there enough justification of "imminent" harm to take the kid away? Did the mom not get any chance to explain to CPS the hoax? Does it matter if its a hoax or not since she put her kid on tv and coached her into acting or lieing depending on what oyu want to call it...

I dunno, removal is supposed to be because of threat of imminent harm. At least I think thats the standard...

I wouldn't be surprised if there was more to the story, like she gets sued for lieing or fraud by the UK company and the US companies... I just don't know. its f*kin wierd.

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/parentin ... x-2486495/

I don't see the issue. I'm not sure how CPS did the right thing here. They're a bunch of zealous assholes in this case. There are child actors everywhere, I don't see how this is any different.

Teflor Lyorian
Sojourner

Postby Teflor Lyorian » Fri May 20, 2011 3:32 pm

Kifle wrote:I don't see the issue. I'm not sure how CPS did the right thing here. They're a bunch of zealous assholes in this case. There are child actors everywhere, I don't see how this is any different.

Government, and CPS by extension isn't about doing the right thing. While doing the right thing and governing frequently line up, they are by no means even similar to each other.
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri May 20, 2011 4:08 pm

Well... I don't know when the mother got around to disclosing the fact that she was paid to do this... if she disclosed it upon first contact with CPS (assuming there was a first contact)... Perhaps they saw the reports, took them at face value and thought that a mom admitting to doing injections corroborated by her daughters statements was enough evidence of "immediate danger". She probably was asked if she would do it again and she probably said yes.

Return to “Current Events & Politics”