K.I.S.S.

Gameplay discussion, questions and ideas.
Iledor
Sojourner

K.I.S.S.

Postby Iledor » Tue May 26, 2015 10:56 pm

So... The new death system is a not a good idea. It's pretty convoluted and adds hassle where none is necessary, really. No one cares about XP or coins. Neither one of these things will ever be a legitimate penalty. That being said, a better idea would be to lighten the penalty to encourage exploration/leading/etc.

A Simpler Plan:

[*]Keep the pcorpse system as it is now. You die, a pcorpse is created.
[*]HOWEVER, most your eq stays with you, and does not end up on your pcorpse. Anything you have with you that is NORENT stays with your pcorpse
[*]Anyone can loot anyone else's pcorpse, but using this to cheat or abuse the rules will get you in trouble.
[*]Anytime you die, you get penalized with a loss of experience (25% at level 50) and a "death fatigue" (75% of max stats for 24 minutes).
[*]You can, after you're dead, get revived (restores 50% of lost xp(12.5% at level 50), but restarts the 24 minute penalty timer) or resurrected (restores 100% of lost xp(25% at level 50), restart 24 minute penalty timer and reduce stats to 50% of max for this duration.)
[*]Song of Recovery will function as it does now on all three causes of "death penalty."
[*]In the event that you were exploring or spanked a zone or something, you can decide if you want to go retrieve your pcorpse to revive/resurrect, but if you have no time left or you just don't care, you can go on with your life and climb aboard the xp train to recoup your losses later.

Spell-wise:
[*]Clerics keep revive and resurrect. They do exactly what they do now.
[*]Shamans get revive(9th circle), but not resurrect. They keep scry remains, which functions as it does now.
[*]Druids get nothing. Neither revive nor resurrect seems an appropriate part of their repertoire.

Eq damage is superfluous and adds a layer of convolution the mud simply does not need.
Oggsk
Sojourner

Re: K.I.S.S.

Postby Oggsk » Wed May 27, 2015 1:50 pm

I agree that the new death system seems overly complex and not a great solution to the issue of making dying in a remote location difficult to recover from without help. I do like the ideas below, but I am unsure why you need to be able to loot a pcorpse? This because the !rent items would be otherwise stuck in limbo until that body rotted?

Iledor wrote:So... The new death system is a not a good idea. It's pretty convoluted and adds hassle where none is necessary, really. No one cares about XP or coins. Neither one of these things will ever be a legitimate penalty. That being said, a better idea would be to lighten the penalty to encourage exploration/leading/etc.

A Simpler Plan:

[*]Keep the pcorpse system as it is now. You die, a pcorpse is created.
[*]HOWEVER, most your eq stays with you, and does not end up on your pcorpse. Anything you have with you that is NORENT stays with your pcorpse
[*]Anyone can loot anyone else's pcorpse, but using this to cheat or abuse the rules will get you in trouble.
[*]Anytime you die, you get penalized with a loss of experience (25% at level 50) and a "death fatigue" (75% of max stats for 24 minutes).
[*]You can, after you're dead, get revived (restores 50% of lost xp(12.5% at level 50), but restarts the 24 minute penalty timer) or resurrected (restores 100% of lost xp(25% at level 50), restart 24 minute penalty timer and reduce stats to 50% of max for this duration.)
[*]Song of Recovery will function as it does now on all three causes of "death penalty."
[*]In the event that you were exploring or spanked a zone or something, you can decide if you want to go retrieve your pcorpse to revive/resurrect, but if you have no time left or you just don't care, you can go on with your life and climb aboard the xp train to recoup your losses later.

Spell-wise:
[*]Clerics keep revive and resurrect. They do exactly what they do now.
[*]Shamans get revive(9th circle), but not resurrect. They keep scry remains, which functions as it does now.
[*]Druids get nothing. Neither revive nor resurrect seems an appropriate part of their repertoire.

Eq damage is superfluous and adds a layer of convolution the mud simply does not need.
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Wed May 27, 2015 4:29 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm having trouble understanding what it is that you think is complicated about the new system. Can you elaborate?

I know that might blog posts have been pretty detailed, but in practice it is intended to be very simple. When you die, you get a resurrect or you enter a portal. You have to remember to swing by shops and hit "repair all" once in a while. It seems much easier than worrying about dragging corpses around, losing exp, pressing corpses, trying to find your corpse while naked, keeping backup gear, etc.
Shevarash -- Code Forger of TorilMUD
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Wed May 27, 2015 4:39 pm

I find the new system to be a good fit for the mud. It's not absurdly easy or forgiving - which would put more of the old timers up in arms - but it also means that a lot of folks who would never, EVER explore on their own for fear of losing things they may not be able to replace will be able to see more of the MUD. It is a good change for our aging population.
Adriorn Darkcloak
Sojourner

Postby Adriorn Darkcloak » Wed May 27, 2015 10:19 pm

Yeah, the new system isn't bad, but, again, I agree with the nothing for druids part.
Oggsk
Sojourner

Postby Oggsk » Sat May 30, 2015 5:33 pm

I think I am only concerned about ways to abuse the system, ie die killing something, get back to mob, die again, rinse and repeat until mob is dead. This was also possible under the old system, but at a higher cost, you lost 25% of a level's worth of exp and if you had 400-500% or more exp, it was possible for you to do this 10-15 times without real impact other than potential loss of that exp due to failed ress. It seems like it would be easier to do this now with the revised system....
Teyaha
Sojourner

Postby Teyaha » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:24 am

Oggsk wrote:I think I am only concerned about ways to abuse the system, ie die killing something, get back to mob, die again, rinse and repeat until mob is dead. This was also possible under the old system, but at a higher cost, you lost 25% of a level's worth of exp and if you had 400-500% or more exp, it was possible for you to do this 10-15 times without real impact other than potential loss of that exp due to failed ress. It seems like it would be easier to do this now with the revised system....

This was already being done before this change. It has more benefits than it does drawbacks.

Return to “GCC: Gameplay Discussion”