Best song?!

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Kifle
Sojourner

Best song?!

Postby Kifle » Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:19 pm

Okie! WTF is up with VH1?! I was watching VH1's best 100 songs of all time yesterday and, to my dismay, I was unfortunate enough to see that Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" had beaten Jimi Hendrix "Purple Haze" by about 3 or 4 places in the top ten...Okie since when was nirvana better than jimi?! That is just sick! I was under the impression that to be one of the best songs, talent was a prerequesit...Is it just me or has music, and what is expected out of music, really gone down a spiral as of the last decade or so?!

Also, I have to bitch about this too...The grammys...That stupid song "Drops of Jupiter" won something?! On top of that Tool was only nominated for one category?! This is wierd! I am sorry, but music is about art, not how well you can market your product, or how much you can sing about your ex-girlfriend or disfunctional parents...Is there no hope for artistic talent anymore?

sorry for the rant everybody...

Kifle

[This message has been edited by Kifle (edited 02-28-2002).]
Holdan
Sojourner

Postby Holdan » Thu Feb 28, 2002 7:22 pm

The greatest song of all time is obviously "Free Bird" by Lynard Skynard.

Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Thu Feb 28, 2002 9:08 pm

Nirvana always wins on VH1 because they annihilated the hair band era Image. It was the beginning of "Alternative" until alternative became mainstream. And poor sad Kurt Cobain never wanted to be a big rockstar or marketed Image

As for that drops of jupiter song, I think it's the main cause of road rage in NC.

Tool rocks, but I'm not a huge fan of their new stuff... i think undertow/aenima/opiate rocked, but the new stuff and that perfect circle song isn't as good.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Thu Feb 28, 2002 10:36 pm

agree kifle, jimi hendrix is better by far
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Mar 01, 2002 12:20 am

Ensis,

At the early stages of listening to Lateralus, I agreed with you. I popped the CD in the car the day I got it and I almost threw it out the window.

However, after further listening, each repeated time I listened to it, it grew on me. They are doing something really unique (well maybe it isn't unique but they are doing it really well)

They are taking you on a journey. I'm sure you have noticed that (for example) track 6 is 3 minute prelued to track 7. If you are in a Madonna hurry then you aren't going to appreciate what Tool is offering on this CD.

But if you are tuned into the music, even if you are doing something else while listening, but you are still following along, when Track 7 starts and they hit that huge crescendo and SMACK you with the sound...that is what they are trying to build.

Any band can just start in with a loud chord and well, listeners grow tired of it. Tool has re-examined listening with this CD and has done at excellent job at setting the listener up for getting washed with sound. It's hard for some to enjoy at first, but after a couple more listens, you will be sucked in and love it.

It's my favorite CD now. Just my 2 cents.

Wobb
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:21 am

Anything aired on VH1 is going to suffer from some amount of bias by those who put it on there. I don't watch VH1, but something tells me that they probably didn't play any songs from before the 1900's. The whole idea of the 'best' songs is utterly subjective- the songs they played were considered the best by the people who created that show, and confirmed only by their idea of what 'the best' means. To them, the best may be scaled based upon how many records/tapes/cd's were sold. They may have considered what was 'the best' by a popular poll. Even if they did this, did the poll represent all people equally? Did they just poll the teenage generation?

What does it matter what VH1 thinks is the 'best'? You can keep getting angry everytime some television show says something contradictory of how you feel, but what use is that? Just keep on enjoying what you enjoy, no matter what other people think. Oh, and don't forget- no matter what you like: You're wrong.

Yayaril
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Fri Mar 01, 2002 1:56 am

Don't enjoy Jimi. Enjoyed the first Nirvana cd - Nevermind was good too. They didn't usher in the alternative era. 120 minutes had been on for years before nirvana hit the scene. And once it became the alternative era, it stopped being alternative (alternative to the mainstream.) Given this, it could probably be safely posited that Nirvana sounded the death knell of alternative music, as such.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:12 am

Nirvana nearly single handedly changed the music scene when they came around. when they first came around the top singles were from New Edition folks who split up and all put out solo albusm. (bel biv devoe, ralph tresvant, etc.)

their cd spawned a whole slew of new cd's from other seattle sound types, including sponge, bush, cranberries, smashing pumpkins and many others. within a few years grunge just fookin rocked!

it's now blended with hip hop and sucks ass, but maybe it'll start coming back.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 01, 2002 6:55 am

Nirvana was nothing special, even if you can credit them with what happend, Jimi did moreso with the guitar...He revolutionized the instrument. He gave inspiration to greats such as Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn. If it weren't for Jimi, we may not have had such music...without Nirvana we would not have crap on the radio (according to the "Nirvana spawned Grunge thing")

They were just around at the right time so to speak. If I am not mistaken Soundgarden were out before Nirvana and they are much much better...
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:09 am

tool sucks ummk

and kifle APC is obviously anti christian
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:47 am

personally i think 12th warrior owns all. that and anything by erasure, depeche mode, metallica, or morning musume!

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 03-01-2002).]
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:52 am

psst...brugg is dilusional ummk.

Metallica is hillbilly rock! I can't listen to them because I dont have a canadian passport (aka mullet). They have talant and all, but uber weak lyrics.
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:15 am

ok, since we're on the subj. of cool bands:

Led Zeppelin

wait, i'd have to say LZ is the BEST BAND EVER!
Kallinar
Sojourner

Postby Kallinar » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:18 am

APC is anti-christian?
Wow no wonder Wiccans and Agnostics love em so much

:P
Bow down before the gods of Sojourn, you spend more time devoted to their works than the so called god that christians worship anyhow.

Kallinar
may the Moo be with you
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Mar 01, 2002 9:30 am

I agree with Wobb, actually.

I used to really not like Tool. I listened to their songs, and thought 'what is this crap?'.

But I have an MP3 player in my car, and I constantly make new CDs.. I got bored with my old standbys and made a disc with a couple new Tool and APC songs. I really like a few of them now, and they've gone onto my 'favorite track list'.

It's an acquired taste, and that's one thing I really like about music... There's something for everyone. Image
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Fri Mar 01, 2002 11:13 am

So how the hell did Radiohead *not* win a grammy over Coldplay? I mean, not that I have any faith left in award shows anymore or anything, but come on........
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grintor:
[B]their cd spawned a whole slew of new cd's from other seattle sound types, including sponge, bush, cranberries, smashing pumpkins and many others.B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know I'm not really one to talk about current music trends.. but The Cranberries are a Seattle sound? They're an Irish band who got their start in the UK.

As for VH1, if they weren't basing their "best" ideas on record sales, they were basing them on one of those media-hype voting polls they do so often. That's why Nirvana will come out better than Jimi Hendrix, because half the teenage drama-queen population that watches VH1 doesn't even know who Jimi Hendrix is. Never did care much for Nirvana, or any of the bands who couldn't seem to articulate any words beyond the typical parroted "Life sucks" lyrics they did. I prefer bubblegum pop over a band that can't see over the mud walls of their self-pity wallow.

Best all time one-hit-wonder? Procul Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale"

Ashiwi <--- One of 16 vestal virgins leaving for the coast.
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Mar 01, 2002 2:34 pm

My top bands (in no particular order)

Pink Floyd
Led Zepplin
Cream
the Eagles
Metallica
Soundgarden
Pearl Jam
Jimi Hendrix

I included bands that either typified the feel of the time, someone who broke ground, had longevity, and or just does it for me musically.

Toplack
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Fri Mar 01, 2002 4:28 pm

re: Lateralus. First time I listened to it, I wasn't impressed because there were no singles that matched songs like Forty-six And Two, etc, from previous albums. Then I popped it in at work where it was background music and actually listened to it all the way through a few times. IMO Lateralus must be evaluated as a whole to be appreciated for what it is.

If I want to listen to a Tool song, I put on Aenima or Opiate. If I want to listen to a Tool album, I listen to Lateralus.

Mp

p.s. Nirvana was the poster-child for the new music-culture of the 90s. Their music by itself, while enjoyable, is hardly 'classic'.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 01, 2002 7:23 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
personally i think 12th warrior owns all. that and anything by erasure, depeche mode, metallica, or morning musume!

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 03-01-2002).]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

finally! a fellow morning musume fan!
talk to me online dood!

btw, jpop ownz
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Fri Mar 01, 2002 8:46 pm

Wow, I am very happy to see that there are a lot of ppl (reletivly) that agree with me on the lateralus thing...I am one of the biggest Tool fans (shut it brugg and go work on the webpage) and I have to agree...After waiting over 4 years to hear the new abulm I was kinda dissapointed for the most part, but after listening to it fer a bit I could not help but think it was their most artistic project as a whole yet! If you listen to it, it has a running theme and ever song works together.

Thank you guys for showing me that not everybody is a moron!

Kifle
omrec
Sojourner

Postby omrec » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:03 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
<B>...
Thank you guys for showing me that not everybody is a moron!

Kifle</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
heh, most of us aren't, I swear!.. Image

Re: Tool:
Personally my favorite band. Why? Because the more you listen, the better they get. I encourage everyone to go read the lyrics to a bunch of tool songs, because they have some of the most artistic writing in music today. They also have a different format for their songs, which is refreshing, although they tend to follow the same patterns sometimes. Tool is definitely the thinking man's metal.. Image

http://toolshed.down.net/lyrics/

My favorite songs, lyrics/music wise.

Opiate: Sweat, Opiate.
Undertow: Prison Sex, Sober, Undertow, Flood.
Aenima: H, Forty Six & 2, Jimmy, Pushit (salival version better), Aenima (And I'm moving to LA soon, how sad...)
Lateralus: The Patient, Schism, Parabol-Parabola, Lateralus

I absolutely love Parabol-Parabola...and the salival version of pushit...10+ minutes of a musical and emotional journey..you just don't get that through most other types of music..

"This body holding me reminds me of my own mortality.
Embrace this moment. Remember. We are eternal.
All this pain is an illusion."

-Om
Lalsed
Sojourner

Postby Lalsed » Fri Mar 01, 2002 10:29 pm

These are my top ten favorite bands, in no order of course.

1. Metallica
2. Pennywise
3. Soundgarden
4. Alkaline Trio
5. System of a Down
6. Guttermouth
7. Powerman 5000
8. Rage against the machine
9. Nirvana
10. Blink 182
11. 311

Sorry there were 11, alot of good bands out there. This is right now, this list changes over time of course, and stuff, basically, these are bands I think are good. Yeah, and stuff.

------------------
Lalsed the Druid of Destruction...?
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Sat Mar 02, 2002 1:16 am

My 2c,

Nirvana hit a chord with those teeny-bopper suicide freaks who enjoy boozing on their parents best "stuff" while pretending to have a really hard life. Smells like teen spirit was hardly a great song, but it did open the door to more alternative styles. The grunge scene was there in a plethera of forms before Nirvana but it wasnt main stream until, of course, drugging it up and having purposely bad hair became hugely popular.

Tool has a lot of talent. I think they have yet to display it.

Classic? Hendrix ROCKED... the man OOOOOZED talent. The music of today is mostly crap, but like with Tool, I think most of it is just untapped potential. True talent hidden by years of surface scum. Like a lake of fresh water coated with a 3 foot thick layer of slime. The good stuff is there, but when the public wants slime, it gets it.

Nitania
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Mar 02, 2002 4:42 am

My opinion:

Nirvana, whether you agree with their style or not, was one of the most influential bands of the 90s. Kurt Cobain had a unique and distinctive voice, with which he expressed his message superbly. So many musicians in the last 40 years were motivated by greed, wealth, or attention... Kurt wanted none of it. He hated the spotlight, never did interviews, and only rarely exposed himself to media attention. Nirvana's songs were real, in the sense that Kurt wasn't this upper class fluffball writing songs about rage and violence from the bubble bath in his penthouse suite. He was a heroin addict, and his songs reflect the fact that his daily life was a skid. Was he a good role model for high school kids? No (not that Jimi and Bob are particularly good influences on teenagers either). But at least he was real, not like this fake crap music they package neatly today and sell by the millions.

Saying that Nirvana's idea appealed to "teeny bopper suicide freaks" is like saying Snoop Dogg markets himself to "black ghetto trash" or Bob Marley is for "burned out dope addicts from the 60s". If that's what you believe then... well... I suppose there's some safe, happy music out there you can listen to that won't make you feel too bad about anything. I suggest N'Sync, I hear they're quite popular.

You don't have to enjoy someone's music to understand their influence. I'm not a Jimi Hendrix fan, but he was a hell of a guitar player. There's a difference between "they suck" and "I don't like them." If Nirvana hadn't come out of Seattle, there's a good chunk of music from the 90s that probably wouldn't have existed, or at least been nearly as popular.

- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sat Mar 02, 2002 5:08 am

To tell you the truth ragorn, I would have loved it if what spawned because of Nirvana (or so is said) would not have. There would still be the bands that actually have talent behind them: Rage, Soundgarden, Tool, and a handfull of others. I am not only saying I dont like them, I am saying they gave nothing to music except for a way for all the other bands that are signed for the purpose that they appeal to depressive teens. They are just as guilty for being corperate monkeys as N'sync and Backdoor Boys.

Tool Owns!

Kifle
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Kifle:
Nirvana was nothing special, even if you can credit them with what happend, Jimi did moreso with the guitar...He revolutionized the instrument. He gave inspiration to greats such as Eric Clapton and Stevie Ray Vaughn. If it weren't for Jimi, we may not have had such music...</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

why wouldnt we, mc5, the who, the stooges etc etc etc has been great influences on underground rock, would theese bands have sounded different if it werent for jimi? mebbe.....
prolly not, but wtf, whats the competition, how cool is it to find the bestest of the best bands and only listen to them, ahh well, some ppl just cant get what rock&roll is all about, time to graduate from r&r highshool, and just stay cool, man...shooooobappp, if ye aint into it, ye just wont get it...

/fil
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:23 pm

<B> corperate monkeys as N'sync and Backdoor Boys.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

the monkeys rocked d00d3 Image
/fil

[This message has been edited by fildur (edited 03-02-2002).]
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:24 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Brugg:
and kifle APC is obviously anti christian</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's a major plus!
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Sat Mar 02, 2002 8:40 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ragorn:
[/B]
Saying that Nirvana's idea appealed to "teeny bopper suicide freaks" is like saying Snoop Dogg markets himself to "black ghetto trash" or Bob Marley is for "burned out dope addicts from the 60s". - Ragorn[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I hate to break it to ya Rags, (and you know I love ya), but music is pitched to those who feel they can best relate to it... thus Nirvana's audience consists *mostly* of folks who live his fast-n-deadly type of life. Snoop doggy dog, well I can say he has talent too. Does his music appeal to me? Not anymore. It did when I thought being a slutty gang-banger was cool. Bob Marley, huge talent, no appeal. Talent is recognizeable even by those of us who *dont* appreciate the music flowing from the artist.
I can also say that music spun out by the backstreet boys or christina augublahblah isnt for me, but can they sing? Yeah, they can. Do I choose to listen to it? Heh... no.

Nitania

[This message has been edited by Nitania (edited 03-02-2002).]
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:37 am

If LZ vs. Tool + Nirvana had a duel. LZ would evaporate them both. They would so be paralyzed (N and Tool) :P *cackle*
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:27 am

Hardly Muma! Have you ever listen to Tool's lyrics? How many bands can you name that can use things as complex as Carl Jung's theory of collective consciousness as metaphores?! As far as the music...I once heard somebody complain that Tool's music sucks because you can't pick out the individual instruments...ROFL...this is one of the reasons they are so good. They just mesh together that well. The talant on the drums (danny Carey) is amazing...Most drummers will agree that he is one of the best out there, of coarse Neil Perdt owns on drums and always will. Maynards voice is one of the most beautiful I have witnessed since marvin gaye...He has almost as good a range as the guy from Queensryche and puts more emotion in it than most I have heard.

As far as the comment of Kurt C. not wanting to be in the spotlight?! Well he could have done a lot better...Tool seems to do a damn good job of it and still being able to make an album that debuts at #1 on the charts. If kurt wanted to stay out of the spotlight, why did he agree to do an unplugged show for MTV? *boggle*

It is my opinion that more than half of the people that dont like Tool dont like them because they can't understand the lyrics...Maynard uses uncommon words and uses their abstract meanings most of the time. Most people also cant understand most of the metaphores. I have ran into the comment "Well one of their songs is about fisting in the ass! They HAVE to be gay!". Well, unfortunately these people are retarded. The song used fisting as a metaphore for desesitization, mostly pertaining to society as a whole. For those of you that hate them because of their lyrics, actually take the time to listen to them and feel the music...

Kifle
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:35 am

Exactly. If he really didn't want to be in the spotlight, he didn't have to sign the contract.
Zrax
Sojourner

Postby Zrax » Sun Mar 03, 2002 1:46 am

Music is potent in the emotions it can bring out int people. Different people are inspired by different things. To say someone is wrong because they dont subscribe or react to the same music as you do is short sighted at best. The best song or artist is are unique to the people they inspire, be it through producing rage, love, sadness, or whatever it may be.
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:03 am

You are soo right zrax! But the reason I am upset is because of the fact that the bands that are usually picked as "Best" fall short in the artistic category. There is nothing artistic about that drops of jupiter song. They stayed within the same style as every other band that is played on virtualy ever "modern rock/alternative" radio station...why not just give them all the "best song" grammy? Might as well!...

I agree that music is very potent and can influence a lot of things. And, yes, everybody is attracted by different things and that is why I will never say that the poeple that choose to listen to the crap are "wrong" per se, but I can not just sit here and listen to people degrade good music and not give credit where credit is due. I have been to many many concerts, I have seen bands from the goo goo dolls (shut it, I hated every damn minute of it) to the wutang clan. Out of all of them, Tool was numeral Uno by far. The energy through the whole crowd was almost shared. Maynard never once showed his face, they had artistic visual effects and very intelligent things to say when he would speak between songs. I would give my left ovary to see them again.

Kifle
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:00 am

<B> I would give my left ovary to see them again.

Kifle</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do I hear 1 dollar? onedollahonedallahonedallah....... (auctioneer voice)

*laugh*
Nitania

edit: the *best* song ever was "It's raining men". j/k

[This message has been edited by Nitania (edited 03-02-2002).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:06 am

Couple things.

Nitania: Great Image There are few people who can distinguish "they suck" and "I don't like them." Nirvana obviously didn't suck. Neither did Hendrix, or The Doors, or Jimi. Britney, she also doesn't suck. I don't LIKE her, but she has talent. If she didn't have talent, she wouldn't be where she is. The closed minded response is "anyone can get famous if they pander to idiots or shake their breasts", but I don't believe that.

Nirvana's MTV Unplugged I'll relate to an anecdote. When Green Day first started making music, they were obscure punk rockers. Punk's ideals are truly "fuck the man". Anything corporate is scowled at, and anything mainstream is looked down on. Their shows were at small clubs, for a couple hundred bucks a night. Within a few years, they signed a contract and went multi-plat with Dookie. Why? Because they realized that their rinky-dink little production studio couldn't physically produce enough copies of their record to appease their fans. People were coming up to them after shows saying "I want to listen to your songs, but nobody knows how to get your tape. What do I do?" Billie Joe often brought a box of tapes to a show, and by the time they went on stage, they'd be gone.

Their solution was to sign with a record company who could produce the kind of supply they needed. Most people just assumed they "sold out to the man" and talked a lot of nonsense about how you couldn't be on a major record label and still hold onto punk ideals. People who didn't know the story saw a punk band who signed a contract, and drew ignorant assumptions.

How does that apply to Nirvana?

The Unplugged thing was a fluke. MTV wanted Nirvana to do a special, but Kurt pretty much turned them down. MTV wanted the show to be electric, with a large audience like a venue show. Kurt gave them the finger, and after negotiating, they agreed that the set would be acoustic in front of a small audience that he could talk to before and between songs. And he does. The show was for the fans, it wasn't because Nirvana felt they needed some free publicity to justify raising ticket prices, or because they liked seeing their name on MTV. The unusual recording was so popular that they cut a CD of it, and MTV made the Unplugged gig a regular series.

The story behind Nirvana is really interesting, for anyone who cares enough to change their "they were a dumb rock band fronted by an attention starved loser" attitude.

- Ragorn
Eza
Sojourner

Postby Eza » Sun Mar 03, 2002 5:54 am

Tool has and always will be one of my favorite bands. Their music is so powerful. Maynards voice is like no other, simply beautiful. The music actually makes you *feel* things, which is why they have such a large fan base. I personally think that Nirvana was a completely overrated band. Kurt Cobain sang (can you really call *that* singing?) like he had a pissed off gerbil jammed down his throat. The only good part of the band was Dave Grohl. Kurt Cobain killed himself on my birthday and (oo heartless) I've always thought it was a wonderful present. There are too many no-talant assholes out there peddling whatever they spew out for big bucks because the teens nowadays are so brainfried from too much mTV and Britney Spears clones that they don't know any better. With bands such a Tool/APC, it's nice to know that not everyone out there is a plastic glitter trash zombie.

------------------
-=Deviant=-
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:40 am

Rag, I mentioned the MTV thing because there was a comment of them wanting to stay out of the spotlight...and the last thing somebody like that wants to do is do anything for MTV even videos, but there are just somethings you must do i guess...If he wanted to stay out of the spotlight that much, and if he was so pissed about being in the spotlight, then he would not have done the show regardless.

that was my point

Kifle
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:15 pm

Nod.. and my point was that to get your music out to your fans, sometimes you just have to make compromises with what you believe.

- Ragorn
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:27 pm

Tool has proven that you dont...

Kifle
Kuurg
Sojourner

Postby Kuurg » Sun Mar 03, 2002 6:36 pm

The Waitresses own Tool.

------------------
·•Kuurg•·
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:10 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
What does it matter what VH1 thinks is the 'best'? </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

By itself, it doesn't matter.

However, take it in context.

The fact that this issue exists is due to the underlying state of things: simply put, the VH1 people (or whoever 0wns them) are powerful and can foist their agenda upon the unwilling public. You, the average person who does not own your own TV station, are powerless to stop them.

This post arose out of a natural and healthy response to an utter lack of power. That response is called frustration (or perhaps, indignation).

Occurrances of this will continue until the System is fixed.

Thank you, please drive through. Big brother loves you.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:36 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by omrec:
<B>Tool is definitely the thinking man's metal.. Image
-Om</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Know why? They do most of work tripping on acid, write most of their songs and play most of their concerts on it.
That, and they have always wanted to do something different and non-mainstream, which is why they put out the Lateralus CD.
I got a chance to meet the band several years ago at a restaurant after their concert (Who woulda known that Tool likes Denny's? I sure as hell didn't!)
They're some cool mofos!

Taegost "Until one day, the crystal cracked!" STUPER-DRUID(tm)

------------------
Taegost L'Mirrahn - STUPER DRUID(tm)
fildur
Sojourner

Postby fildur » Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B> By itself, it doesn't matter.
The fact that this issue exists is due to the underlying state of things: simply put, the VH1 people (or whoever 0wns them) are powerful and can foist their agenda upon the unwilling public. You, the average person who does not own your own TV station, are powerless to stop them.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

if ppl are st00pid nuff to eat sh**, let them eat it, makes it cheaper to buy em diner...

/fil
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:07 pm

On the Tool front,

Favorite hang over song when you really physically feel like hammered shit, and mentally and emotionally are beating yourself up for doing that to yourself yet AGAIN!

Sober

Toplack *Why can't we sleep forever* Frostbear
xa
Sojourner

Postby xa » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:08 pm

hrmm my view on this one heh.. Jimmy = guitar god but.. you gotta give it up for nirvana they helped change music in 2 albums kurt was an extremely gifted songwriter/musician, as to the tool thing heh lateralus is in itself a pretty good album (cept for the one part on ticks and leeches) the middle of that song sucked heh was just a strumming guitar coulda done so much more there and they did on last record. Aenima was a masterpiece still the best rock record of the 90's easily.. so it's sorta hard to compare the 2 since aenima was so damn good heh. I was dissapointed when i heard it though heh title track is so utterly dope though.. just that rolling bass line is badass. hrmm my thoughts on best song heh theres so many.. xanadu-rush hrmm.. if yer not schooled on rush you need to be btw best band ever Image some of dream theater's stuff is super dope.. hrmm gonna have to say oh shit what's that one.. think it was the title track.. aenima on aenima heh that was an incredible song man.. moves me the same as it did the first few times i heard it 5 years ago. the one where he's like swim swim swim i just swim think it's aenima heh peace..
flib-dju said wha?-blingderniple

[This message has been edited by xa (edited 03-06-2002).]

[This message has been edited by xa (edited 03-06-2002).]
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:33 pm

Oh, forgot a band...

Temple of the Dog!

Ya gotta love Soundgarden+Pearl Jam (at least Eddie Vedder)

Shame they only got together for the one CD.

Toplack
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Wed Mar 06, 2002 2:47 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gort:
<B>Oh, forgot a band...

Temple of the Dog!

Ya gotta love Soundgarden+Pearl Jam (at least Eddie Vedder)

Shame they only got together for the one CD.

Toplack</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, Matt Cameron (the former drummer for Soundgarden) is the drummer for Pearl Jam now. Image

In case you didn't know!

I like what I like, no one's opinions or arguing will ever get me to change my mind. Even Gormal trying to tell me at Denny's that Hanson was the king shiznit didn't phase me!

I live in the Seattle area, and that "Seattle style" classification really bugs the hell out of me. Sure, a lot of good bands did come from here...(Presidents of the USA no one ever mentioned), but I can honestly say most of the best stuff comes from the least likely places that you'd ever expect (no one ever thought a band from Liverpool England would become demigods). I'm not an overly big fan of the Beatles but I do like the lyrics they present in a lot of their songs. To me, it's not so much the music itself, it's what's in the song that really catches my ear.

APC...of course Maynard is pushing his whole Atheism/Anti-Christ beliefs. Anyone who doesn't know what Maynard James O'Keenan stands for is surely uneducated in the ways of Tool (where's Amiral at in this post anyway!).

I've only been to 2 concerts ever in my life....most of them are filled with a bunch of testosterone-infested teenage boys who think moshing to More Human than Human is their only means of enjoying the show. Sure, it's a great release and all (I did it, had a blast), but I went to hear the music, not get my fingers smashed or the shit kicked out of me by someone's errant foot. I even had the pleasure of being hi-5'd by Sean Yseult during that show (Filter/WZ show back in '96).

But the music brings out your full emotions, especially whatever mood you're in at that time. Music helps me write better, helps me relax, helps me release stress by screaming along with the music. Without music, there would be no life for any of us. To deny those who are deserving of credit for the accomplishments they've achieved in music is an outright blasphemy to the true intentions of music itself. The day we accept corporate political bullshit morons who try to shove some boy bands in our face as the best music of all time, then we've forgotten where we've come from, where we've been.

Music is timeless, its history entwined with our own. Some songs of each generation will be associated with things forever. Some of us hold certain songs dear to us for whatever reason it may be. Some of us get lost with the music, an almost out-of-body experience with a pseudo-realistic twinge of ecstasy.

Music saved my life, and was my salvation from going insane from the things life handed me a few years ago. "Master of Puppets" was this song that made me realize in a coke-induced haze that I was destroying myself and letting an inanimate object possess me. I'd heard the song hundreds of times...but that day, I just happened to pull out the lyrics and read along, and it clicked....."chop your breakfast on a mirror" never rang more true.

I think the most important thing I am trying to emphasize here is to never forget those lyrics from that song you were listening to during those most remarkable times of your life.

And, btw...the best song of all time:

Tuesday's Gone by Lynyrd Skynyrd

Deathmagnet

"When this train ends...well I'll try again..."
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Aug 02, 2002 2:42 am

I'm curious if anyone would vote for this one:
<table border=0 cellpadding=3 cellspacing=3>
<tr><td>
Bist du bei mir, geh' ich mit Freuden</td><td>
If you will be with me, then I will gladly
</td></tr><tr><td>
zum Sterben und zu meiner Ruh'.</td><td>
go to my death and my rest. </td></tr><tr>
<td>
Ach, wie vergnügt wär' so mein Ende,</td><td>
Ah, how pleasant will my end then be, </td></tr><tr><td>

es drückten deine lieben Hände </td><td>
for your dear hands will press </td></tr>
<tr><td>
mir die getreuen Augen zu!</td><td>
shut my faithful eyes!</td></tr></table>

Or, if you have even heard this song...check it out sometime if you can.

------------------
Wobb
"If you ever need a quick pick-me-up, just stick my balls in your mouth." --Chef, South Park

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”