How did everyone actually hear about Sojourn for the first t

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Zuurn Shatter Skull
Sojourner

How did everyone actually hear about Sojourn for the first t

Postby Zuurn Shatter Skull » Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:39 am

I first heard about Sojourn from a local down at my ISP. Me and afew friends liked messing around some games on their BBS they had up, I forget what year it was but it was a while back. Their BBS went down, never to come back up and my friends and I waited patiently for it to return, finally I went down there and asked when/if it would be back up and someone down there told me about Sojourn and to check it out. That is how my mud addiction started. Image

Tell me about what got YOU started mudding!

Image -Z
Thalen
Sojourner

Postby Thalen » Thu Feb 15, 2001 4:43 am

I had never played a mud before but had always wanted to since I had heard about them on BBS'. Then I saw this book 'Playing MUDS on the Internet' which basically had a lot of great information about muds.

It glorified sojourn saying that once it finally opened it would be more developed than any muds out at the time and have full race wars. It was published before soj1 even came out so it had some pretty strange idealistic views about it Image.

I think the author who went by the name NightmareII on Black Knights Realm mud was friends with Miax.

Needless to say the book was a good source of information and a must read for beginning mudders until it became completely outdated.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Thu Feb 15, 2001 7:49 am

I was in computer programming my freshman year in high school when a friend showed kajib and I Sojourn. One of his friends had stumbled onto it whiel searchign for muds. he never playe dit after that really but we became addicts.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Feb 15, 2001 8:38 am

Mudding in general I stumbled across when I lived in NY, left that place, thank god. and once back in St. Louis found a BBS that hosted trade wars. Trade Wars 2002 was always a favorite of mine. The BBS was Grotto BBS. Played trade wars for a bit and seen they also had this mud thing. I remembered I enjoyed it up in NY and gave it a try. It was a telnet door from a major BBS and so I was using PCPLUS. I was hooked instantly Image The BBS died but I had the telnet addy and found zmud. Been playing ever since minus this last year that we should name something like "The Great Coma" in honor of the Roots fiasco "The Dream" My only hope is that the mud lives long enough for me to finally get a char to lvl 50 this time Image

Gindipple.
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:01 am

Wasted my life on a crappy hack&slash mud for a coupple months till my brother found toril link on the webconnector.. that day, my life changed.
Galkar
Sojourner

Postby Galkar » Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:28 pm

I was in calc class in fall of '95 and i overheard this guy talking about some game called a 'mud'. I asked him what it was, and he ended up comin over and showing me the in's and out's of sojourn. I was instantly in love, since i've read a ton of the FR books, and have been playing since. In these past 5+ years though, i've never had a char higher than 36 :P Life likes to get in the way sometimes. Image
Ruhr
Sojourner

Postby Ruhr » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:05 pm

I can't remember exactly when I started, I was in college and had quit my job to focus on my studies when I stumbled across the toril website, read enough to make me curious and logged on.

I wasn't sure what to expect since I hadn't done any mudding since 1985. Back then, before "the Internet" I used a 300 baud modem to dial into a local telnet portal. From there it was one hop to a 6 port (6 simultaneous connections) MUD called "Scepter of Goth." The MUD was coded by Interplay and included a space opera type game (lots of math, and calculations, all text) and an email system. Computers were so weak back then that Scepter wouldn't load if someone was playing the space game heh. Needless to say, I got a lot of pissed of messages while flying my spaceship to get the hell out so they could load the fantasy game...

Things were way different in those days; everything was local. Of the 40 or so players on Scepter, many of us would meet IRL at least once every two weeks (as everyone lived in the same general area).
I was totally adicted to scepter, and realized the potential to role play a different personality. In many ways it helped me get some sense of who I was at the time (HS frehsman), and learn how to communicate, and express myself.

Anyway, finding Toril/Sojourn was amazingly lucky and I don't regret it at all, except that it's ruined me for any other MUD Image
Lithel
Sojourner

Postby Lithel » Thu Feb 15, 2001 3:38 pm

Lesse, one day I was sittin around on this chat bbs me and Ragorn used to frequent. He was always in telnet playing Toril and I used to make fun of him daily for it. Finally I had to check it out and I got hooked.

Lithel
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Thu Feb 15, 2001 5:53 pm

Stumbling in seems the rule not the exception...

I was working at Sears shilling electronics in Jan 94 and and a guy came in looking for a faster modem, I asked what for, and he asked, "Do you remeber Zork?" (text based games). We talked a bit, I told him I've been an avid D&D type since they came in Ziplock bags.

Then he gave me the addy for Soj... Thank God I was in my last semester at CSU!

<table border="0">
<tr bgcolor="#000000"><th>
<font face="courier" color="#009900">Tayros</font> <font face="courier" color="#666666">Rog</font><font face="courier" color="#ffcc00">ueCoy</font><font face="courier" color="#666666">ote</fony>
<font face="courier" color="#66666"> - </font><font face="courier" color="#ffcc00">Pride </font><font face="courier" color="#666666">of the </font><font face="courier" color="#cc0000">Sabertooth</font> <font face="courier" color="#666666"> - </font>
</th></tr></table>
Revenki
Sojourner

Postby Revenki » Thu Feb 15, 2001 6:43 pm

I stumbled on it by a couple of friends, one you might have known as Garosh. I would always go next door to find him totally absorbed in Toril/Sojourn, it was almost impossible to tear him away from it to go do something. Then his roommate came up to the computer lab where I worked while he was coding the undermountain zone and just would not stop talking about all the things he was doing with the zone and how cool it all was. I eventually caved in and made a character to check it out and have been playing off and on ever since as real life allows.

Revenki et al.
Saitcho
Sojourner

Postby Saitcho » Thu Feb 15, 2001 7:48 pm

i played a majorbbs game called tele-arena for several years with people like tol and jurdex and yurtrus and tok and fayren and aerlinn and many other new orleans mudders, anyway they eventually quit playing tele-arena and started playing sojourn. i knew about it but never got into it till last year.

saitcho
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Thu Feb 15, 2001 8:26 pm

An old family friend of mine sent me an email, and among other things, mentioned that he was now really into playing MUDs, but he didn't say which in particular.

I knew about MUDs, but had never played one, thinking they would be hopelessly simplistic and boring. I hadn't played a text game sinc e Infocom games in the 80's!

Nevertheless, I got curious despite myself and typed in "MUD" in Yahoo. I got a huge list back, and one called "Sojourn" was in bold, while many of the rest were in plain text. So I clicked on Sojourn, and never looked back. Image

-- Shevy
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Thu Feb 15, 2001 8:47 pm

Well, like Lithel said I used to call a chat BBS all the time. When they finally got net connected, the sysop put up a crappy list of MUDs he got somewhere or another. I picked the first one on the list, called Purgatory, and started from there. Made a lot of friends, went to my first mud party, and learned how to play Magic: the Gathering. Members slipped away though, and the admins all talked about "playing Sojourn". I wrote down the address but never played.

Then I went on vacation for a week, and came back to find that Purgatory had changed IPs and I didn't know the new one. I logged on to Sojourn solely to find some information about where Purgatory went to.

2 years went by before I finally found someone who knew the game, and they said the owner took the MUD down the month before.

It should be noted that while Lithel and I played Sojourn, two of our friends played Duris. We used to sit around at a diner on wednesday nights arguing for HOURS which one was better.

- Ragorn
Heh.. dognad.

[This message has been edited by Ragorn (edited 02-15-2001).]
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:02 pm

I played an old mud called "neverholm" a few years back, one day it was down - so i hit on yahoo and ran a search for mud - saw the description for Sojourn, and started playing - as a conjurer, it was pretty cool, then i wandered off for a year, learned a lot about muds, and realized just how good sojourn was. since then i have been an addict.

-kwirl/thamas/dazok
Vigis
Sojourner

Postby Vigis » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:21 pm

I was in my Freshman year of college in 96. I walked into the computer lab one day and saw my RA on a computer with all these colors flashing by and asked him what he was doing. Told me he was playing something called Sojourn and told me it was a Role-playing game. I logged on through telnet and played for a little while, thought that level 15 was huge and really hard to get *snicker* I got bored with it and quit playing for awhile. Came back after a couple of months and started playing again when a friend from my dorm got into it. But what got me addicted was Zmud. I had been telnetting in the whole time and hadn't ever heard of a mud client. Eventually though, I started to get bored cause I had hit a plateau and couldn't seem to level for anything when I get a tell from Tayros Roguecoyote asking if I had thought about guilds Image After that, I worked my butt off in HP to get high enough and joined the Pride. It assured the end of my 3 consecutive semesters on the dean's list. Been in love with mudding ever since Image

Vigis Wolverinefang
-Hunter- Pride of the Sabertooth
Rhelath
Sojourner

Postby Rhelath » Thu Feb 15, 2001 9:51 pm

Well, I used to play a mud called Shadowgate back in the day. Played there a good three years. When I was.. er.. Younger. AD&D based mud, with a putz of an admin but that's a different story. Met a friend there in my playing time, and she brought me over to Duris. I played Duris for awhile, then heard about Basternae, and played there till it shut down originally. Got extremely one day of lame muds, and found this one called Sojourn. I recognized the name, so I thought why not. I login, and get the message that the character creation wasnt online. =)

Got that message for a good two days, but stuck with and glad I did, grin. There's my life story. Enjoy!

-Rhelath
Kyos
Sojourner

Postby Kyos » Thu Feb 15, 2001 10:01 pm

I read about muds in a computer magazine.

Searhed for mud in altavista and came by
"avalon" which had its own client downloadable too, which was great. However... we were deep into ad&d and forgotten realms so searched for that too, and came by sojourn.

I must say though, i played sojourn through raw telnet, which sucked, and avalon through its client which was way better! heh. Still, the forgotten realms theme was much more appealing, so, somehow we got the avalon client to work with sojourn and everything was great. Cept for the lag from the school we used to play from, it was incredible, sometimes it took up to a minute before the text got through. Even though, we played and enjoyed.

Thanks sojourn for a nice mudding experience :=)
Tugunk
Sojourner

Postby Tugunk » Thu Feb 15, 2001 11:52 pm

I remember going over to a friends house a lot in the spring (Zalnog's) and seing his brother (Nizrath) playing some stupid text game called Toril, or so I thaught. I laughed at him a lot, cuz thats what i did even htough he is 6 years older than me, and much much bigger.
Sometimes when we were just sittin around we would stop an watch him play, i liked the colors an the cool wolf he had with his shaman. So the next boring summer, I got bored and downloaded zmud an logged on. After the first hour, i felt like such a retard for raggin on him all the time. It was one of the coolest games I had ever played.
After that I was hooked. I just unlaced my shoe and crammed that suker right down my gullet. That was bout 3 years ago.
Anyways, I wanna say Thank you Nizy an Zaly for showin me something that can ruin my grades more efficiantly than an anything on this planet,save for death, and I am sorry.

Tugunk/Drokendakerus
Klosh
Sojourner

Postby Klosh » Thu Feb 15, 2001 11:56 pm

I used to tele-arena on a local BBS with Diel, Malg, and a couple of other people. They quit playing after a while and moved on to this toril thing and kept telling me I should give it a try. I finally did and I was hooked, that was about 5 years ago or something. Glad to hear my addiction's coming back.

Klosh
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Fri Feb 16, 2001 12:06 am

It's all Lavey's fault! *nog me*

Fall '95, was kickin ass in school....then I met this freaky long-haired dude, who got me into AD&D. There was a group of about 8 of us who played every Tuesday and Thursday nights. Well, the DM and Lavey both kept talking about Sojourn yadayadayada and I logged on. I was so damn confused, I gave up on it.

Two months go by, and half the time we don't even play AD&D anymore cause they're always too damn busy with Sojourn. So I'm like screw it, I got Lavey to come chill with me in the lab for an hour or two and he showed me the ropes.

Saddest thing of it all, they all quit playing, except for Lavey and myself, and Lavey is now an EQ addict...I hope I can get him to come back. :P

After that....it is all history.

Yasmonkey
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Fri Feb 16, 2001 1:53 am

The Hot Spot BBS was the shit... A bunch of us got into Sojourn through there. Nafal, Silverast, me, and a few others.
Vylel
Sojourner

Postby Vylel » Fri Feb 16, 2001 3:48 am

I was a freshman in high school... I think I may have actually seen a computer at some point in time before my step-dad, whom I played D&D with, played a few and told me about one called "Sojourn" he walked me through some program thing he had just so I could play
mud.sojourn.com 9999
well, I knew how to type, I knew how to read, I loved RPing, and Sojourn was first and last... (I cheated on Soj once with another session of looking for muds... HAHAHAHA!!!!! they call themselves MUDS!!!!!!!!!!!)
Silverast Rubicyn
Sojourner

Postby Silverast Rubicyn » Fri Feb 16, 2001 7:32 am

Yeah we started up on The Hot Spot BBS, I used to play TW2002, Legend of the Red Dragon, Tele-Arena etc. Then one day someone suggested I try this mud out, so I did, made a grey elf sorc. Was running around Leuthilspar trying to learn the city, found the Center, and Rand was chilling there, all of a suddne, Gruumsh comes and kills him, was pretty funny :P A few of us migrated here because of that BBS like Agreiver mentioned, was me, him, nafal, Khajja, Jearo, and maybe a few others who never really got into it.
Artmar
Sojourner

Postby Artmar » Fri Feb 16, 2001 8:38 am

I think i started playing Sojourn somewhere about summer '94.

A friend of mine (who has been already a mudder at that time) told me that he found some really cool FR theme mud, and that i should really give it i try. Well, i did try, and got caught for good Image

Ironically, that friend of mine (Mor) stopped playing after some year or so (first he got discouraged by pwipe, and then annoyed by losing most of his eq after first of Myranthean eq tweaks)

Since that time i've tried to play other muds, but (besides wotmud) didn't find any cool enough to stop for long.

Artmar Whiteraven, waiting for a soj3 opening, to see those new changes to shaman class.
Thalor
Sojourner

Postby Thalor » Fri Feb 16, 2001 3:04 pm

Legend of the Red Dragon kicked ass =P I first got interested in MUDs through playing that game on a BBS, then a friend suggested I check out Sojourn...rolled a half-elf ranger and played for about a week. Gave up...then rolled another ranger about two months later, was promptly informed that rangers were worthless(this was when there were monks and no archery) and rolled a barb warrior and the addiction's been there ever since =P
Bibbe
Sojourner

Postby Bibbe » Fri Feb 16, 2001 5:01 pm

I was playing a shitty as mud called Viking when my brother and his friends told me about Sojourn.
Funny thing is that we live in different places and didn't know that the other even mudded at all.
Anyways since i am a lover of "forgotten realms" it was me that started sojourn isnteda of them viking.

- bibbe
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Feb 16, 2001 9:19 pm

my brother-in-law..Tinnel. Atleast it gave his wife and my wife something to jointly bitch about.
Bregar Blackwolf
Sojourner

Postby Bregar Blackwolf » Sat Feb 17, 2001 12:25 am

Hey all..The first time I got addicted to Sojourn was back in 1992 or so by a friend of mine that played a Conjie at the time but I forgot his characters name. I hooked on from ISS a local BB and there I realized I knew Varia from it as well. I think that is the first day I can remember where it all started.

Bregar
Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Sat Feb 17, 2001 8:38 am

aggie, long time no see mang Image you to saitcho, saitcho you still in new orleans? email me, i will be down on fat tuesday for mardi gras. well i learned abotu sojourn1 from my gm actually showed me how to get there using gopher, yes gopher that was all there was then, but i logged in and he showed me the ropes and i was hooked ever since, the sad/good thing is i got my girlfriend at the time hooked also :P)
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Sun Feb 18, 2001 7:23 am

edit

[This message has been edited by Jenera (edited 11-10-2002).]
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Wed Feb 21, 2001 2:18 am

Ahh, when I got started mudding was a glorious day for me. I think it was between the summber of '95, but I'm not sure. Anyway , I had been a big fan of TSR stuff for a few years, and my friend Kaylan ( I think that was his name) showed me Sojourn. He let me putz around on his sorcerer for a bit, and I got hooked instantly. I rolled up a ranger as my first character (In honor of Drizzt Do'Urden), and began playing.

The sad thing is that I've been mudding for over 5 years now, and I'm still a newbie to it... go figure Image

Silly Ass
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Wed Feb 21, 2001 5:32 pm

Hehehehe,

Elscint Hairytoes. He was using like a 486dx with an external 14.4 modem (that was fast!) dialing in using telix and running tintin++ off our isp's server. [Nothing like the speed of your isp for your triggers.]

I was going through a rough time with my X, and I had seen him play this game where this (colored) text would scroll by. I was thinking, 'my god...how much more of a loser can you be'.

2 months later I spent $3,300 on a mac (originally for music composition-nice laser printer..etc..) and became a loser myself. Hehe!

Thanks Luke!

Wobb/Vurad/Dror
Jaeron
Sojourner

Postby Jaeron » Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:41 pm

Actually, Jenera, I started on Sojourn, went to Darkover for a few months, then came back. Image

------------------
Jaeron -Shadowstalker, Merc for Hire, at your service.
Jaeron
Sojourner

Postby Jaeron » Thu Mar 29, 2001 8:41 pm

Actually, Jenera, I started on Sojourn, went to Darkover for a few months, then came back. Image I actually started when Deidrit showed me the game while I was staying at Rutgers. My first few weeks was almost nonstop playing. Who am I kidding.. the first few years. Image

------------------
Dormithel
Sojourner

Postby Dormithel » Thu Mar 29, 2001 9:48 pm

I first started to mud on Gemstone. back when i thought aol was cool*blush*(yea yea i know) but then was surfing around on the MUD connector and was looking for a FR theam(used to play AD&D a bunch). Found a listing under Toril and decided to check it out. Had a great time and decided to interduce my little brother Frensolith to it...pretty soon we were fighting over who could use the computer. Guess its been like 6 or 7 years since then. I took a break from it for a while but got excited again when soj2 opened now i am ready to give s3 a spin(after long mounths of training on Duris).

see ya all tonight,

Dormithel
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:28 pm

I met a cool woman on a chat room, we fell in love, visited her several times cause she was several states away. A mutual friend in the chat room, who went by the name Tellaerin on the mud, intro'd her. she got madly hooked and i found myself having to log in to talk to her since her only phone line was tied up. the mud itself eventually came between that relationship since she made it clear she wanted nothing to do with me when she was on it, but off it was cool. problem: she was always on it. anyway when relationship fell apart i was determined to beat her to 50...well i got close :P
Kobei
Sojourner

Postby Kobei » Thu Mar 29, 2001 11:53 pm

Heh Bregar It was me and Mogurk that got Pixie and Cyber to add Sojourn to the bbs list back then...remember when Cyber was nearly fired from the BBS for playing?...those were the days Image

Kobei
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Thalen:
<B>I had never played a mud before but had always wanted to since I had heard about them on BBS'. Then I saw this book 'Playing MUDS on the Internet' which basically had a lot of great information about muds.

It glorified sojourn saying that once it finally opened it would be more developed than any muds out at the time and have full race wars. It was published before soj1 even came out so it had some pretty strange idealistic views about it Image.

I think the author who went by the name NightmareII on Black Knights Realm mud was friends with Miax.

Needless to say the book was a good source of information and a must read for beginning mudders until it became completely outdated.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

that was the book w/ the pharoah guy w/ a big stick on the frnt right? man i remember that book, funny logs Image
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:54 am

I met a guy named Dodekain on an irc server in the #ranma chat room when I was 13. we use to talk until he started going afk alot. I asked him what he was doing and he said he was playing MUD. ew.. i thought, he must take lots of showers.. little did i know it was a text-based game. at first i hated it b/c it took too long, then I went from paladin to ranger to conj and began loving the game Image dodekain is also known as draxon.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Fri Mar 30, 2001 2:14 pm

My dad got a new local isp for our home, and it came with it's own software, which included a primitive mud client and a little pop up menu with MUD as one of the buttons. The isp was called Sojourn, Inc. and apparently was run by who was then Lloth. I had a direct connection to the mud computer. When routers died, I was the only one on the mud besides the imms Image I loved having virtually zero lag and always having a connection. I became hooked very fast, played for 4 years, left at the pwipe, played many other muds hardcore since then, and am thinking I should come back to my roots, where I enjoyed mud the most.
Denel
Sojourner

Postby Denel » Fri Mar 30, 2001 3:40 pm

Well, not that anybody here really knows me (mostly), but I'd Mudded before Sojourn, until the person I was dating at the time (anyone remember Drakkoth?) introduced me to Sojourn. I wasn't very interested in it until it ended up being the only place I could find the guy. Image This was many years ago, 5 or 6? Can't remember.

Needless to say, my MUDding addiction began. Although I've never been much of a known player on Sojourn, I've played other hybrid MUDs (*cough* Duris/Basternae), and have finally returned to Sojourn in wanting something different.

Mahal/Tullie/Denel!
Jaeron
Sojourner

Postby Jaeron » Fri Mar 30, 2001 5:45 pm

Ha! I know you. Image

------------------
Ionari
Sojourner

Postby Ionari » Sat Mar 31, 2001 7:14 am

My brother had purchased a new 486/DX-2 66 back in 1994 and it was his life.

I remember watching him waste hours of his time there daily playing this game and answering this newsgroup and that BBS and this mail on FIDOnet etc.

One day he started talking about MUDding, MOOing, MUSHing et al. I thought it was rediculous. Looking over his shoulder from time to time I couldn't see what all the fuss was about.

In the summer of 1995 I began getting interested in the internet and IRC along with emailing my fiends, I was pushed by my best friend to try a MUD/MOO/MUSH. I couldn't understand what was going on.

On my second MUD, I was so confused I was near tears. I couldn't tell one thing from another. Confusion reigned. Tells and battles and eq and scenery all blended together.

I was nearly ready to give (computers on the internet) up for good when someone who heard my woes told me to try Toril.

I did. Oh the colours! For the first time I could comprehend what was happening.

The rest is history. (:

Third time's a charm! Thank you Toril.

Io
Kelsiria
Sojourner

Postby Kelsiria » Sat Mar 31, 2001 12:42 pm

The first time I even heard about a mud was from my best friend, back in Eugene, OR. When I finally got my own computer he came over and downloaded zmud for me and logged me in the game. I was hooked from the start. I remember trying to keep up with the scrolling text and in the first few weeks of mudding for 20+ hours a day I would finally sleep and have nightmares of scrolling text!! I don't have those anymore.

Sojourn (Toril back then) was the very first mud I ever played, and none have ever come close to holding my attention like this one did!

~Kelsi
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sun Apr 01, 2001 11:05 am

I'm sure my family doesn't appreciate *Appleseed* .. but I do...

I got my first computer in '94 .. a Packard HELL 483-SX-33 with 4Meg of RAM and a 210Meg HDD, 1/2M Video RAM ..man i had THE system!!(cost me 2K$) :P

A friend of mine hooked me up with a local BBS called Cupids Playpen, where I soon learned the arts of chat .. (bleh i hate chat now)

A chat friend suggested i try Tele-Arena, I did and hated it!! YUK .. well another friend said I had to give it some honest effort .. try it for a week .. bleh HOOKED

from there it was a BBS called Orion where i met Appleseed .... who introduced me to majormud ... after a year or so of that ...he told me about Sojourn...from the first time i logged in i was hooked .. and have been ever since ...

anyway, Apple, Steve, Mams ... u suck!!

-Jenlia,Shalia,aka Little Angel .. rofl
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sat Nov 09, 2002 11:59 pm

Since someone else started this thread again.. bump.

------------------
-Todrael Azz'miala, Ravager
Turxx
Sojourner

Postby Turxx » Sun Nov 10, 2002 1:26 am

it all started several years back, my buddies(who i realy didnt know very well t the time) jaznolg, hertat, tordalkenus and krurrx all had this party pad on campus, i kicked it there alot, at the time hertat nor tordalkenus played the game(and they nolonger do) and krurrx would play a little, i remeber watching jaznolg stare at his comp screen watching words roll by for hours, i thought the kid had to be goofy, it was krurrx i think more than jaznolg that made me want to roll a char, anyhow one day i finally did and ive been hooked ever since
Elisten
Sojourner

Postby Elisten » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:02 am

December of 1995. I had graduated HS in June and got hooked on BBS's. Then I moved in with some other friends and one of them showed me this game that was text based and I think she was even using zmud then. (She was a friend of Zellin's! Hi Zellin!) Anyhow, I had been using local BBS's on a *believe it or not* commodore 64 with a 2400 baud modem and floppy disks to run programs. I was so fast at typing c 'heal' so and so.. with no triggers or such. Hehe, were those dreams!? Imagine, no screen wrap and I could not always see what I was typing. It was great at the time, but looking back on it! Geez! An ugly green computer screen and a C64. The things people do.

The first four people I remember meeting was Trewe,(Asder) (such fond memories!!!) Zenith, Kylina and Athelas (I miss you BRO!). Later came Alby, Morianthis, Calinth and Irilea. And of course all the great people in between.

My first piece of given EQ was a wreath of entwined roses, and to this day, the wreath is precious to me. Image

Heh, such memories. Thanks for the trip down memory lane.
Gerad
Sojourner

Postby Gerad » Sun Nov 10, 2002 4:03 am

I used to hang out on a local bbs, and as was the style then random people chatted with random people via requests to whoever was on the bbs... so I started talking to this guy andy, who told me about a game store that had magic: the gathering tourneys on saturdays. Being an avid magic player (and like 14 years old) there was no way I could not go. So I went, and I was friends with this guy for a long while (he was alot older but a really cool guy), we went to gencon and stuff, and someplace along the line he told me about a game he played online, called 'sojourn'. This was about a year before sojourn1 beta ended.

I was instantly hooked, and the dude you now know as Lalsed, wanted nothing to do with it at first. I payed him to play for 3 sets of 2 hours (I think like 3 bucks, which was all the money in the world at the time), and he got hooked too :P

A bit later along the line, perhaps a year or more, Lalsed had a friend who we started talking up the mud too. You now know him as Tolm (ducks the flying rocks).

I remember letting tolm use my ISP, and he got us sitebanned because he typed this paragraph long, horribly awful thing thing about mystra which I hear included a questioning of her claim to humanity, and hit enter just as she trans'd in.

Good times!

-Gerad Image

------------------
Auril tells you 'Yes, we're plotting the destruction of all that is holy - and unholy, too. Just to be thorough.'

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”