Sojourn Movie Ideas

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Agela
Sojourner

Sojourn Movie Ideas

Postby Agela » Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:11 pm

Ok .. so seems like people may be interested in my idea of making a sojourn movie. This could be filmed rl like lord of the rings or cgi like final fantasy or animated like princess m ... so .. give me all your suggestions for what should be in the best sojourn movie ever!! This is a brainstorm so all ideas are good ideas. What would you like to see? Quests, Items, Spells, Personalities, Mobs, Humor, Sorrow .. anything goes
Agela

The sooner i get ideas .. the sooner i'll incorporate them into a script which i will post online.
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Jan 28, 2002 3:49 pm

Well, the best Sojourn movie out there, would of course have Yayaril, moi, the Babbling Knife in it!

Yayaril
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Mon Jan 28, 2002 4:31 pm

one thing that whatever writer you commission for this will need to realize is that although our mud is based on forgotten realms, it's NOT forgotten realms.

we have, in essence, a racewar. we have two clear sides and our drow are not one of them unto themselves.

personally i think animation like princess mononoke would better suit a sojourn movie than any live action. there is far more that can be done spell and visual effect wise (especially if you get them nutty japanese animators...my GOD are they talented).

for story ideas, i believe shev has a DB of all the stories posted on the toril website. there were a handful of real standouts that could be built upon, most of those involving the artifact quests of the time.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Jan 28, 2002 4:46 pm

I'm sorry but a fantasy/rp movie revolving around sojourn would probably suck unless you have a really creative writer. Theres no plot.. no story. It would be much easier just to adapt a forgotten realms book into a movie.

The more interesting angle, I think, would be to make it a kind of documentary, and investigate the allure of a text based mud in our MTV world of flashing pictures and graphics. You can have some creative aspects.. like recreating what people imagine the mud to be. I would love to see a collection of visual representations of how different mudders imagine jot... loki's palace et al.

But in any event, I think the most interesting part of the mud phenomanon are the rl people and their motivation for playing. You have all sorts of people who reinvent themselves into heroes here. Housewives, college slackers, soldiers, etc etc. Why not see if there is some sort of common thread among these people that motivates them and makes them want to be a hero in our fantasy world?

Of course you still wouldn't get anyone to pay to see it, but maybe it would win an award or something at some obscure movie festival.

Corth
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:00 pm

"...college slackers..." - Corth

Who are you callin' a slacker!?! Image

Anyways, it could be done around these compaign quests or something. Or even just follow a group as they try to solve one of the quests in the game.

The problem would be the whole FR thing. You can say we aren't the FR, and you're right. But we exist in a very FR world... I mean how could the movie not have Waterdeep in it? And if it does then everyone, including WOTC's copyright lawyers, will think it's an FR movie... heh.
Agela
Sojourner

Postby Agela » Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:04 pm

we'll have to call it aqua deep or waterthick instead .. just kidding Image
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Mon Jan 28, 2002 6:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Corth:
<B>I'm sorry but a fantasy/rp movie revolving around sojourn would probably suck unless you have a really creative writer. Theres no plot.. no story. It would be much easier just to adapt a forgotten realms book into a movie.

The more interesting angle, I think, would be to make it a kind of documentary, and investigate the allure of a text based mud in our MTV world of flashing pictures and graphics. You can have some creative aspects.. like recreating what people imagine the mud to be. I would love to see a collection of visual representations of how different mudders imagine jot... loki's palace et al.

But in any event, I think the most interesting part of the mud phenomanon are the rl people and their motivation for playing. You have all sorts of people who reinvent themselves into heroes here. Housewives, college slackers, soldiers, etc etc. Why not see if there is some sort of common thread among these people that motivates them and makes them want to be a hero in our fantasy world?

Of course you still wouldn't get anyone to pay to see it, but maybe it would win an award or something at some obscure movie festival.

Corth</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Documentary... Like, where they interview people... I think I'd be scared to see some of the people who play here Image
I mean, I've heard more goat quips about Gormal then I have EVER heard about the guy who wrote LORD, and he even incorporated into his game!
Speaking of which... If anyone is interested, I can prolly dig thru my BBS and find the web site with the interview of him, it was quite humorous... Image
But hey, I think it would be a neat idea.. I agree it should be a cartoon, because imagine trying to cast the players of Sojourn as themselves...
Especially the ones that play chars of the opposite sex! Hehehehehehe
Altho, I know I'd fit in pretty well as the earthy-crunchy Druid/Ranger like I play, with my long hair and tall, thin build Image
Of course, the glasses would have to come off... Or maybe I can do that whole Clark Kent thing and make some wooden frames Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Mon Jan 28, 2002 8:05 pm

Have Brad Pitt play me.

Nog me

Toarn -Adonis-
Hyldryn
Sojourner

Postby Hyldryn » Mon Jan 28, 2002 8:49 pm

What's it gonna be rated? Cause anything with me in it may not be suitable for children.
Aedarton
Sojourner

Postby Aedarton » Mon Jan 28, 2002 8:52 pm

A Sojourn X rated movie *boggle* ?
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:19 pm

Christopher Walken as Gormal Stoneforge
William Shatner as Cap'n Touk
Bill Murray as Ebgar
Rebecca Romijn-Stamos as Weylarii

enjoy
Tovar
Sojourner

Postby Tovar » Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:36 pm

Well, the best Sojourn movie out there, would of course have Yayaril, moi, the Babbling Knife in it!
Yayaril

Hrmmmmm.....and we all know the thief ALWAYS bites it in this particular genre of film...I can practically here the applause now! :P
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:48 pm

rofl.

I still think everyone should be clueless n00bs, headed out to slay DB... it would be funny.
combatmedic
Sojourner

Postby combatmedic » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:11 pm

ooo ooo! Can i be the best friend that dies in the first scene?!?!! "Tell...my...wife...that....i...love.............football.*sigh*" I could win the academy! Oh! and get that little guy that played Mini me to play me! Can you imagine a 2ft tall paladin on a "heavy white warhorse"? Especially if you give him one of those 10ft lances! =P

------------------
Aram the novice paly
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:30 pm

It's funny, I've thought about making a movie about the sojourn world for a long time now (I think the crappy movie D&D inspired the notion).

I'd like to see a Lord of The Rings type of movie using rl people and awesome computer type graphics instead of a cartoon movie. Imagine a warrior with twilight all of the sudden get a raged look of insanity on his face, the sword starts glowing a strange purple glow, and now his sword is slicing everything in half whereas a moment before if was taking a couple whacks to kill. Imagine a ranger with windsong all of the sudden start swinging like mad (la machine!). Imagine a druid casting DOOM and the screen fills up with a HOARD of bugs that move towards the enemy, or Moonwell appearing to walk through (I usually think of stargate when I think of silvery portal). Imagine the chanter casting dscales on someone and all the sudden their skin changes, kinda like the changling (can't remember name) in Xmen. Imagine what Meteors crashing on an army of enemies would look like on the big screen. How about a full heal from a cleric (kinda the same effect as the changeling with the wounds closing). Swing "the mighty warhammer of the barbarian kings" which, when it procs, flies out of your hand and carves your initials in the chest of the enemy. (can you say "Zorro" anyone hehe?)

The story line should be some kind of mid or high level quest, maybe even a jot invasion run! Lord P of WD is looking for some solid adventurers to slay Loki and Thrym for the evil deeds they have commited against the people of WD since the elite RDF guards got slaughtered when they tried!

The idea would be to take the good eq and spells, and display them on the big screen. The screenplay is usually what makes a movie good though, the graphics and such are bonuses. Those are the basic ideas I had Image

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Mon Jan 28, 2002 10:54 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Cap'n Touk:
<B>William Shatner group-says "Muddate 012802, The giants are feeling... (dramatic pause).. surly.. today"

Touk</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG I'm dying of laughter... rofl

Ed O'Neill - Gordex
Carrot Top - Baratos/Yayaril
Sean Connery - Dornax
Mr. T - Rolart
Ben Stein - Garal(haha!)
Vance Troyer - Lirathal
Ving Rhames - Toarn
Helen Hunt - Lilithelle

and of course Steve Buscemi as me... yeah....

Twyl
Cardolan
Sojourner

Postby Cardolan » Mon Jan 28, 2002 11:07 pm

Garal group-says 'I'm putting up 5000 of MY plats that says I'll die more than you!'

--
Garal and assorted other lil n00bs.
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Jan 29, 2002 1:48 am

Sean connery would never play battlecat...he'd have to be animated in
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B> Carrot Top - Baratos/Yayaril
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

ROFL! I think this is about as perfect a description of Yayaril as you are going to get. Annoying, in your face, and just will not go away. Carrot Top = Yayaril!

That is why I just #gag Carrot Top Image

Lyt
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Jan 29, 2002 3:45 pm

ROFL on the Big Bill Shattner gig...

Toplack - played by: me irl! it'd be the big break into Hollywood I've been waiting for!

But hey, if battlecat doesn't want Sean Connery to play him, he could play me, I'd do a better job... but he'd be cool enough... *nod me*

Toplack
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Tue Jan 29, 2002 4:29 pm

Twyl, you will die for that insult!

Yayaril
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Jan 29, 2002 6:41 pm

Moritheil will be played by a puppet tree, like Yoda.
Aderon
Sojourner

Postby Aderon » Tue Jan 29, 2002 7:02 pm

Ebgar would be asleep the whole movie, you can just use an extra for that!
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Jan 29, 2002 11:40 pm

I'd be dead, most likely. I get paid for that? Oh, and the Carrot Top idea seems to be catching on.

Kiaransalee OOC: '#sub {Yayaril | Baratos | Zaad } {Carrot Top}'

Glorishan
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Wed Jan 30, 2002 4:35 am

i call mel gibson as me mwuhahaha

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr
Tasan
Sojourner

Postby Tasan » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:01 am

Yaya:

You didn't honestly think I'd just let all those comments slide did you?

0wned.

Twyl
Zellin
Sojourner

Postby Zellin » Wed Jan 30, 2002 7:22 am

Make "This Is Sojourn", Christopher Guest-style. We'd all look like morionic assholes and people would get this wierd and completely untrue impression that we're all a huge bunch of geeks. Oh...
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Jan 30, 2002 1:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tasan:
<B> OMG I'm dying of laughter... rofl

Ed O'Neill - Gordex
Carrot Top - Baratos/Yayaril
Sean Connery - Dornax
Mr. T - Rolart
Ben Stein - Garal(haha!)
Vance Troyer - Lirathal
Ving Rhames - Toarn
Helen Hunt - Lilithelle

and of course Steve Buscemi as me... yeah....

Twyl</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

George Clooney - Taegost
Not just any George tho...
The George from Dusk 'til Dawn... He's my hero!!! Image
Or mebbe Kevin Sorbo!
Altho, honestly, I kinda think Legolas (I don't know his rn) from LoTR would make a kewl Taegost...
Wait, no he wouldn't... None of those guys would do, damn...
I've got to find somebody diplomatic and witty, but no common sense... Hrmmm... Guess that leaves out Bill Gates and Bill Clinton...
Wait...
I want George Bush!!! Jr.!! Hell ya...
Wait, no... I agree too much with him...
Maybe we can just put some clothes on a broomstick and paint a face on it, and that'll be me!

------------------
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Wed Jan 30, 2002 10:58 pm

What, nobody wants the Other Clinton? No, not Hilly, George!

No one want da master of Funk playin them?

Toplack
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jan 31, 2002 12:33 am

I'm betting Xyr would want that, although I wouldn't mind. What with the whole groupname and all...
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Fri Feb 01, 2002 12:37 am

Pfunk or Parliament Funkadelic or the Pfunk Allstars?

Yah, if for nothing else, for that.

Toplack
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sat Feb 02, 2002 8:41 am

Didn't the D&D movie attempt this??

I just prefer seeing you all in my mind's eye ..a big screen image of ... a giant squid with terrific mind powers , or an Ogre Shaman .. NAW...

there is no way in hell we could make real our items .. spells yes .. but what the HELL would .. o... Avernus.. look like???

i think story type things would be better...

*this one time when smoke invasion loaded.......*
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:10 am

except for the crap story and the mis-casting, there was nothing wrong with the D&D movie. :P
Keran
Sojourner

Postby Keran » Sat Feb 02, 2002 10:48 am

Toarn tells you "Tell Tiamat I'm sendin two dwarves with a pair of pliars and a blowtorch to fix her a**. Tell them elves to chill out, and wait for Touk who is comin directly!"
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:04 am

If I were going to make a movie based on Sojourn...I'd want to have a plot first. :P

Something like 2 separate stories....one for goodies, one for evils...both somewhat relating, but at the same time having nothing to do with one another.
Goodies are in the midst of invasion blahblahblah, whilst evils are beating down Avernus, after a greater tanar'ri challenged them.

A vision of a relic comes to the goodies...and a quest begins. They arrive at Avernus shortly after evils have cleaned it out, and they pick through corpses and whatnot and end up fighting some badass mob that nearly whoops em.

Evils in the meantime head back to prime and start ravaging CC, looking for the undead wizard to assist with the tanar'ri. Finding the entrance to the UD there (it's a movie right? :P), they go down and proceed to the lava demon. After smiting the lava demon the pendant retrieved opens a portal to the cloud giant palaces. Little do they know this pendant is what the goodies are after.

Goodies make their way to clouds also, and suffer great losses to cloud dragons and cloud giants roaming about. Evils pick their way through one of the clanhalls, dropping the pendant during one of the fights.

Evils get information on the tanar'ri's whereabouts and head to the ruins of Myth Drannor, finally meeting the beast and slaying it after intense combat.

Meanwhile, the goodies find their relic, go back home, and use its power to invoke the resurrecting abilities of Lathander upon Lord Piergieron's corpse.

Just a quick brainstorm I had....

Deathmagnet
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:18 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yasden:
<B>If I were going to make a movie based on Sojourn...I'd want to have a plot first. :P

Something like 2 separate stories....one for goodies, one for evils...both somewhat relating, but at the same time having nothing to do with one another.
Goodies are in the midst of invasion blahblahblah, whilst evils are beating down Avernus, after a greater tanar'ri challenged them.

A vision of a relic comes to the goodies...and a quest begins. They arrive at Avernus shortly after evils have cleaned it out, and they pick through corpses and whatnot and end up fighting some badass mob that nearly whoops em.

Evils in the meantime head back to prime and start ravaging CC, looking for the undead wizard to assist with the tanar'ri. Finding the entrance to the UD there (it's a movie right? :P), they go down and proceed to the lava demon. After smiting the lava demon the pendant retrieved opens a portal to the cloud giant palaces. Little do they know this pendant is what the goodies are after.

Goodies make their way to clouds also, and suffer great losses to cloud dragons and cloud giants roaming about. Evils pick their way through one of the clanhalls, dropping the pendant during one of the fights.

Evils get information on the tanar'ri's whereabouts and head to the ruins of Myth Drannor, finally meeting the beast and slaying it after intense combat.

Meanwhile, the goodies find their relic, go back home, and use its power to invoke the resurrecting abilities of Lathander upon Lord Piergieron's corpse.

Just a quick brainstorm I had....

Deathmagnet</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And then...
Out of nowhere...
A strange sound is heard...
A sound like none other ever heard in the realms of Sojourn before (Except once, back in the day...)
Both parties raise their heads, the goodies protecting the good city of Waterdeep from the evil slimeballs trying to kill Lord Piergeron...
The sound is far distant, but is carried by many voices on the strong wind... Then, approaching over the horizon, they see a long line of figures, all wearing gaudy dress...
Wait... They're not WEARING clothes...
OMG! It's their skin!
And what's this? Strange shapes on their heads...
The two parties look around in confusion, and then the first wave of attackers crashes into the walls, all the while shouts of "Po!" and something similar to "Faggot faggot, faggot faggot" are heard!

------------------
Dormithel
Sojourner

Postby Dormithel » Tue Feb 05, 2002 12:55 am

hah...Think that the only proper way to make a sojourn movie is to do it in the Tron style. We all get sucked into our computers and get man hunted by the staff. The death of Miax is the clamatic ending.

If not i propose Frensolith gets played by peewee herman!!!

cheers,
Dormithel
Frensolith
Sojourner

Postby Frensolith » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:12 am

Feh!

Frensolith, Pee-wee the Warrior
Dormithel
Sojourner

Postby Dormithel » Tue Feb 05, 2002 1:26 am

EWWWWWWWW!!!!!!

What is he wielding?
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Tue Feb 05, 2002 7:05 pm

Leave it to guys from Boulder to think of that.... hehe :P
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Fri Feb 08, 2002 1:48 am

Well, what about Illithids vs. everyone..

Illithids start dominating races with their evil brains, and it's up to evils (evils can go good btw) and goodies to unite to fight them off. But who is really on whose side? How do u know whose brain has been dominated? Those cunning illithids! In the end, will everyone become a mindless slave? or will the illithids be fought off by the races that would usually hate each other, but come together for peace?

--it was on my mind, just thought i'd post it whether or not it's a dumb idea.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Fri Feb 08, 2002 8:22 am

hrrmmm person dominating squids.......

drool!!

-Ambar Squish Squid
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Nov 12, 2002 4:23 am

The moment you've all been dreading...

The Trailer is up!

http://www.angelfire.com/in4/nomine/SojMovie.htm

Post your votes!
Glorishan
Sojourner

Postby Glorishan » Tue Nov 12, 2002 5:28 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"><SCENE>
A gnome, attempting to consult several books while being jostled up and down, riding in the seat of some preposterous-looking contraction. Below him, several adventurers hold on for dear life. The machine veers toward a cliff.
</SCENE></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No experience is quite the same as riding a contraction.

Glorishan

------------------
Gormal group-says 'damn im worthless'
Pril
Sojourner

Postby Pril » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:30 am

Ok i think we can all agree on a couple things.

CLEARLY: I need to be played by the dead guy.

and i'll tell you why this HAS to be animated. Imagine this in a "non-animated" movie:
south
"You bump into a mountain goat!"
recl
south
stand
ord horse recl
ord horse south
(now the trick is getting a real horse to crawl under a goat, we all know gormal has mastered being under goats, maybe he can train them!)

****Coming to a corpse near you****
Pril
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Tue Nov 12, 2002 6:56 am

OK, that was damn funny. Nice work!

------------------
Musi
Sojourner

Postby Musi » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:06 pm

ROFLMAO!!
I think it'd be a great idea! I wrote a couple of Sojourn stories years and years ago, but didn't know a heck of a lot of zones, so it was more storyline than impressive locations. I think they were on my old computer tho, so maybe I saved them to disk (I hope!!)

Mori, I loved your movie trailer Image

And I don't remember who did the Willy Shatner impression, but it was good too Image

I would want Nicole Kidman to play me (if I didn't do it myself) cause she's pretty and she can sing (2 things I'm not)

------------------
Musi "Desperate to get ress" {-Randgriur-} Waelcyrge Sororitas
Iktar
Sojourner

Postby Iktar » Tue Nov 12, 2002 1:18 pm

You all have the wrong idea!!
from goodies side of point, the entire plot should be based on our beloved...

one west

and just have camera sit there record wut people do for 24/7...
quake wars, silo, stupid salesmen, :P

bahahah
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Tue Nov 12, 2002 2:28 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
<B>The moment you've all been dreading...

Lathander raises a hand. "How bad would it be to just start over?"
</SCENE>
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OMG, that was funny Mori!!! Lorgan and I have actually been toying with writing a soap opera spoof of Soj... some day we should collaborate.

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”