Items on Shopkeepers (dunno if this has been covered)

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Elscint
Sojourner

Items on Shopkeepers (dunno if this has been covered)

Postby Elscint » Mon Feb 19, 2001 10:41 pm

I'm not sure if this has been addressed by the staff or not but here goes anyhow. Back in my day it was at one point not an uncommon occurance for us to kill for Strange Boots or other items that were held by shopkeepers, now I understand that by killing the shopkeeper you upset the newbie that wanted to buy his rations or whatnot, and as a result of such an occurance the rule that may or may not have been in for all time or whatever was seriously enforced and if caught killing for those boots you'd get in big trouble. Well my point is not that it was okay then suddenly it wasn't okay that's in the past. What my point is is simply that why not just be sure that all the shopkeepers do not have equipment or be sure that any eq that is on a shopkeeper has no stats what so ever and no purpose other than to make the shopkeeper look better. I guess though I would love to be able to smite for Strange Boots again I'd rather they not be there than be there just to torment me since if I get caught killing the mob I'd be smited most mightily.

Elscint Hairytoes (The Halfling Sorcerer)
Luke
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:14 am

rumor has it that the platinum earring thing on the barkeep in the waterdeep bazaar was haste:P Don't know if that was ever true or not! I heard someone got it during chaos christmas and thats what it was...anyone wanna deflate me?

gormal -knower of all things bullshit- stoneforge
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 20, 2001 4:39 am

Coulda sworn that earing was 1hit 1dam...
Harthorm
Sojourner

Postby Harthorm » Tue Feb 20, 2001 5:40 am

I'd heard +1 +1 as well. Then again I never saw it personally, although we did try to get it a few times. *snicker*

Harthorm/Twiblin
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:04 pm

Naw, I think we got it back then and it was super lame.
Lyt
Sojourner

Postby Lyt » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:12 pm

I always heard it was haste as well, so during alpha testing after the last wipe we killed the barkeep. Dang thing was only +4power Image

Lyt
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Thu Mar 22, 2001 10:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Harthorm:
<B>I'd heard +1 +1 as well. Then again I never saw it personally, although we did try to get it a few times. *snicker*

Harthorm/Twiblin</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe. I think those *trys* were when my stray arrows went off and aggr'd the bard when we were doing bouncers. Sheesh, can't wait to do that again, rofl!

Izzy
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Sojourner

Postby Jasix Prowlingwolf » Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:03 am

Yeah we killed that Luna chick a few times... Shalia wore a pair of those earrings for a little while, I think was something like +1 hit +4 power. Been a long time and it's not on my stats sheet. Was just a style item and one you didn't want to be deleted for getting.

I'm with Elscint, either:

Take the items off the shopkeepers so we are not temped to break the rules.

Make the items statless or move them to another mob. Strange boots were a good stat boosting item especially for monks.

Or my personal opinion is to let us kill the damn things. So someone might need to wait 15 minutes for a repop to buy something. If waiting for a repop is a major hassle how about we stop locking the Waterdeep gates? Surely that would help more then having to find another shop to buy some food. We are not talking about every shopkeeper, just a small handful that have eq on them. Make the shopkeepers really kick ass if you don't want them killed all the time.

Now if the mobs are all like the Xenox dude above the Automatron they would have 1 of each item for sale on them. That would be a bit wrong if you could kill a guild shopkeeper for a 100 plat potion... But then it is a bit more realistic. Shop raid!
If a mob loads you should be allowed to kill it. If you don't want us to kill it take about the temptation...

Or maybe have the local RDF type guards run to the shop and kick crap out of the group.. Hmm sounds like fun.

Killing shopkeepers for exp is sort of sucky tho.

------------------
Jasix Prowlingwolf
Protector of Clan Prowlingwolf
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 23, 2001 2:06 pm

On a related note, I've heard from a couple of different sources over the years that the shopkeeper east of lake skeldrach was still allowed to be killed. On the other hand, nobody really kills him anymore. I would like this issue cleared up if possible.

Corth
Tayros
Sojourner

Postby Tayros » Fri Mar 23, 2001 3:05 pm

I'm pretty sure Xenon(sp?) was off limits
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Mar 23, 2001 3:15 pm

Dude that would rock. Make shopkeepers real beasts in combat, and make the RDF get real pissy if shopkeepers get attacked Image

And code silence person to prevent shouting :P

I can see it now.. cleric and druid lead off with a silence person, hoping to get lucky. Shopkeeper silenced, the warriors all doggy pile him!

- Ragorn
Joth
Sojourner

Postby Joth » Fri Mar 23, 2001 8:52 pm

You can kill xenon, he would morph on you though. use to do him alot in Toril.
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Mar 23, 2001 10:12 pm

Joth:

Thats what I thought. I remember him being done several times since shopkeepers were made !kill. In any event, I still wouldn't kill him unless I got the go-ahead from admins. This could be one of those situations where me and you think hes allowed to be killed, and the admins think he isn't. I'm not gonna be the guinea pig here Image

Corth
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Sat Mar 24, 2001 7:16 am

Xexos
Sarell
Sojourner

Postby Sarell » Sat Mar 24, 2001 7:43 am

I heard that the fruit vendor in BG was good exp and could do him if start with SP?... not that I did or would.. hehe
Was shieldpunch a way of smashing shopkeepers?
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Sat Mar 24, 2001 1:57 pm

I don't know, ask Dranak.

*duck*

Corth
Faedril
Sojourner

Postby Faedril » Sat Mar 24, 2001 5:55 pm

I think the biggest reason shopkeepers are !kill is that in Sojourn 1, 2? (Alzheimer's setting in here..) people used to kill the shopkeeper on the central dock after other people had sold lots of stuff to him. They would then resell the stuff looted from the shopkeepers corpse to the same shopkeeper and repeat twinking tons of Plat. This twinking pretty much lead to not being allowed to kill any shopkeepers as I recall. (Although I can remember some times killing the shopkeeper in the bar in Menden on the Deep to be able to cast on the Wizard... *whistle*)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Sat Mar 24, 2001 11:59 pm

augh, I soooo wish I had logged that fight! This was back in the day before I knew he was a shopkeeper... I saw some neat-looking eq on him and tried to take him. It went something like this:

con Xenox
You could do it with a needle!
o fire kick Xenox;c 'harm' Xenox
<>
Xenox dodges a fire elemental's attack.
Xenox says 'oh no you don't!'
Xenox reaches into his coat and pulls out a spiffy potion.
Xenox quaffs potion.
Xenox morphs into the horrible form of an axoctl!

The axoctl hits a fire elemental in the throat, he gasps, chokes and dies.
abort
The axoctl sends you sprawling.
flee
flee
stand
flee

Welcome to Toril. Wrong option. All your base are belong to us.

[This message has been edited by moritheil (edited 03-24-2001).]
Mplor
Sojourner

Postby Mplor » Sun Mar 25, 2001 10:48 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by moritheil:
Welcome to Toril. Wrong option. All your base are belong to us.</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

WHAT YOU SAY !!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Mar 25, 2001 11:05 am

You have no chance to survive make your time.

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”