Sheer Generosity--stuff you got free

Archive of the Sojourn3 General Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

Sheer Generosity--stuff you got free

Postby Wobb » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:01 pm

What was the most valuable or usable item that was ever just <u>given</u> to you. And by whom. (if you remember you greedy bastards!)

For me there were many, but the one that sticks out in my mind is when Dlur handed Vurad (level 36 or so) a set of platemail of life. That was generous.

Wobb/Vurad/Dror
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:27 pm

The most valuable gift that was given to me, was by Enth... God I loved that guy. He was the epitomy of good role-playing. He just out and handed the item to me one day at 3w when he heard I was looking for one.. I was... Shocked.

Oh, btw - the item was a lightning earring.

Mal
belleshel
Sojourner

Postby belleshel » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:47 pm

Most generous gift? was from korin who gave me a lot of his time showing me around EM, how a diku mud works (sojourn was my first diku, 4 previous years of lpc muds only), and introduced me to some other folks Image

Belle

Also all the folks whom helped me zone windsong Image

[This message has been edited by belleshel (edited 02-22-2001).]
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Feb 22, 2001 8:49 pm

Some lvl 20 illithid who pas powerleveling with level 50 eq in SS, gave me a belt of iron bands back when I was a crappy newbie anti all alone in Bloodstone...

and then there was a troll who gave me the jot mithril broadsword after I asked if he could help kill the gang leader... I fumbled my bloodstone saber and thought that surely a big bad level 50 troll could kill that gang leader - instead he just gave me that sword!
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:16 pm

Mplor translocated into the room I was loafing around, on the street of Dragons next to Zakara's. He digs around in his bag and fishes out a tiny ruby ring, and hands it to me. I think I might have talked to him once before when I helped cr some fellow in Minthka. I was surprised and quite gracious.

Yayaril
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:29 pm

Two things come to mind. On Toril, it was getting a tiny gold earring from Soltau I think. I'd been in groups that killed the ancient brownie a few times but never won the bid. So at level 41 I was still wearing star-shaped onyx earrings.

On Sojourn, it was getting a TG from Belle. Again, killed off the brownie more than a few times, never won the bid. Thanks again Belle =P

Trel
yuggok
Sojourner

Postby yuggok » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:50 pm

Ummm...my mom gave me Raursh for free I guess...

At the time I had no idea how much that would suck... 8p

> Yuggok beats Raursh when mom looks away!!
Aedaris
Sojourner

Postby Aedaris » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:52 pm

A full set of pally gear when i was newby.
real nice stuff.

by Qualith and Archung
Rausrh
Sojourner

Postby Rausrh » Thu Feb 22, 2001 9:59 pm

Gift? Punishment more likely...

Rausrh licks you.
Koric
Sojourner

Postby Koric » Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:37 am

When I first started playing hmmm... Korjil (barb warr) i was given 10plat that very first day from some cleric that was quitting. A splint shield and some other SS stuff from loryeth which i quickly lost in the pitch-black NE of TP. Then I was as my first paladin arcanix and some treehumpin calamari gave me my first upgrade from a steel longsword.. a 2h polished mith pike. Then i finally settled down with my conj thenal who got my first piece of zone eq statue of elissatrae? as a consolation gift/prize. As Khadyn I was given an extra scepter of val from z'kurz cuz there was nothin i could use and volos were prereserved. (which he let me turn in for an xtra chance at the volos the next run btw Image) And lessee.. and in the latest incarnation of soj as Koric, i started a few days late and bravn threw a venomous blade at me right off the bat!

PS Thanks
Sarvis
Sojourner

Postby Sarvis » Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:42 am

Guess I'd have to say the scorpion earring Mplor gave me. Later on to prevent me from making a stupid trade he also lent me a full set of level 50-ish eq to show me how much that earring was really worth! *blush* Thanks Mplor Image Too bad the mud closed down a couple days later... hehe.

Sarvis
Brugg
Sojourner

Postby Brugg » Fri Feb 23, 2001 12:44 am

I remember Ossisna giving me a SHAT load of nice eq, he was always nice to me and Braggo that way, as far as one particular spanky item hummm lemmie see ohh yeah remo cloak and gith gaunts that rocked
agreiver
Sojourner

Postby agreiver » Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:29 am

My most valuable gift was the Holy Avenger that Eye Aeternum gave me upon joining the guild. It was the third one gotten that wipe, and only one of two still in the game...

Agreiver

p.s. Malacar what about when I gave you my full suit of eq, including TWO lightning earrings? (which you subsequently lost all of it) Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Fri Feb 23, 2001 4:52 am

Back in the days of Toril I was drawn to the fountain for a shouting lvl 50 cleric for free mace and skull platemail. His condition was that I shout how his god was superior to all others. Anyone know who this was for a lil quiz?:P

Best gifts i've ever seen given is when mplor walked around waterdeep passing out his entire set of equip from his alts...including seer eq and scorp earrings etc. He said somethign to me to the effect of "other people on their primes can use this stuff way more then I can because I play invker so much so its stupid of me to have this" one of the most impressive things i've seen on sojourn ever...cheers mp!

The greatest single "gift" i've seen is when thorgil left and gave pheten his entire set of eq...which was pretty spanky. And pheten would sit there and pull out lke multiple sets of green dragon armor and crap to taunt newbies at TP:P
Lithius
Sojourner

Postby Lithius » Fri Feb 23, 2001 5:34 am

Sword of Rippling Flames. Dint even know the person. When Emerald Longsword lost its haste, I was soooo lost, dint know what to get. So I was shouting from the fountain for a descent sword and he came around and gave it to me. I dint even know what it was till I tried it. Was a cool sword, cant wait to get my hands on it again.

Lithius
Kajib
Sojourner

Postby Kajib » Fri Feb 23, 2001 6:47 am

Mmmm back in the days when dbone bracelets were 4/4 Illreok gave me one Image That was definately the biggest gift I've ever received heh.
Fezbozz
Sojourner

Postby Fezbozz » Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:37 am

The best gift I ever recieved was a pair of grey suede boots when they still had haste. I was wandering on the docks of WD killing navies and some little thief walks in and asks me to tank for him. I did and he starts smacking the navies around and after a while I was like man you hit pretty hard. He says here and hands me the boots. I helped him get several levels and then he had to go. I hand him the boots back and he says just keep them I got 6 more pairs or something crazy like that. I never saw him again and don't even remember his name.
Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc
Sojourner

Postby Cirath Uruxx Kalith etc » Fri Feb 23, 2001 8:41 am

well, two things come to mind.

the first one was actually from Mask. this was during Toril and my character (barbie warrior named Darmal) had been hacked, and the character was killed and all my eq lost. i told the gods and mask looked into it. a few days later he caught up to me and gave all my stuff back in a tattered silken sack, something i had been trying to get for quite some time.

the second item was from Brugg. i usually got anything that he didnt want and didnt feel like trading off. but the best was the fang dagger he gave me a few weeks before the shutdown. it screwed up my perfect ansi a bit, but it was to cool not to use :P

Cir
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Feb 23, 2001 1:00 pm

I blacked that portion of my memory totally out. Image That was I think the lowest point of my mud career, and one of the reasons I quit. I felt so utterly guilty that I couldn't log on without wracking myself. Image

It was probably the coolest thing anyone ever did for me, and like everything else I touched in my life at that time, it went to crap... Aggie, I am still sorry to this day.

Mal
Rymbie
Sojourner

Postby Rymbie » Fri Feb 23, 2001 2:02 pm

Man, that's nothing guys! This one takes the cake, for real... Image

I remember one time I was piddling around in some obscure part of WD when Pez logged on...hehe. I OOC'd something to effect of "I want some yummy Pez!", and poof, Pez transed to me! Of course, there was like no one around my area, and I won of bunch of Pez's. And of course, the global was spamming across the MUD whenever I played, so I was getting swamped with tells saying, "Where are you?!"

I know, I know...it was just Pez, but you all know that kinda stuff to a halfling is priceless! Image

Rymbie/Shyarn
azzixxenae
Sojourner

Postby azzixxenae » Fri Feb 23, 2001 2:08 pm

Tiny gold earring and a black onyx ring. Got from Tinnel. He almost bitch slapped me for considering the offer to sell them for 200p. What would you expect from a newbie?
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Feb 23, 2001 2:23 pm

Plut giving me a Kern spellbook one day out of the blue Image

/Jegzed
namatoki
Sojourner

Postby namatoki » Fri Feb 23, 2001 3:56 pm

Geez, I received so many gifts from so many cool people. I can't remember all the people who gave me stuff, but I do remember getting faerie goggles, dwarven mith battle hammer (proc chain was so fun!), and tons of other cool stuffs. My goal is to be the one handing out stuff instead of receiving stuff this time around. I gotta go zoning this time! Image

Nizrath
Alban
Sojourner

Postby Alban » Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:24 pm

I remember the exact date... I was mudding on christmas night. As it turns out it was the last christmas before the place shut down. Anyway, I was coming back from... Shadow Grove? I think that is what it was called.

On my way back over the water, I ran some mob that aggroed on me, my first round of combat and my gleaming holy longsword, which i bought probably 2 days prior went sploosh.

Heartbroken I went back to fountain and was telling the story to a friend, when suddenly someone just up and gave me a gleaming holy. It meant an awful lot to me that someone would do something like that and I wish I could remember your name friend.

Alban
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:43 pm

Mplor gave me a scorpion mask, because somehow he knew the mud was going to go down soon. This was maybe 3 weeks before the close.

I lost my eq 2 wipes back, and Mamoru gave me a backpack with like, a deco, a lost sword, a tiny golden earring, redweaves, yeti boots, and some other stuff. I about dead fainted.

- Ragorn
Momo
Sojourner

Postby Momo » Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:50 pm

Gave a sword away to a friend once. was the only piece of eq I still owned. Played with it for about 2 weeks then gave it away.

It was the ranger sword that proc'd creeping doom.

Mo

Was given a flaming earring once but I think he took it back like 6 months later. heh
Jenera
Sojourner

Postby Jenera » Fri Feb 23, 2001 9:11 pm

RYMBIE!! *bounce*
*lick halfling warrior* :P
hihi Image

ok im done :P

hrmm...most of the stuff i got was from Korin as we roleplayed marriage
He basically handed down his stuff to me as he got better stuff Image Gotta thank him for that

gotta thank hakabat for just handing me a silver gith sword with my first char (Tulta barb war) ever on soj/toril
i was only like lvl 10

im forgetting people who gave me stuff but my brain has been way too drugged with all this medication lately Image

oh yah, krimon gave me quest items for gate and meteor swarm and that spanky mage hat..the +20hp one...ah yes..coronet of the githzerai rebels Image

i was so shocked the day he just up and handed me an ice berry :P
thanks krim Image

Jennie
Thalen
Sojourner

Postby Thalen » Fri Feb 23, 2001 9:22 pm

How about the people who literally never got anything? I must have played toril too early because I didn't get anything better than the ceremonial hand axe from IC Image

[This message has been edited by Thalen (edited 02-23-2001).]

Postby Guest » Fri Feb 23, 2001 10:42 pm

Back on Toril, evils had a very nice system of hand-me-down eq. As one person got a nice piece, what he/she had been using was passed down to someone else. In this way, almost everyone always got something out of a zone group. I got lots of decent stuph that way until I got big and bad enough to be one of the people getting the zone items and giving others the hand-me-downs.

But I also still remember the day that someone first gave me something for free. I was about level 10 or so, wandering through Ixarkon killing stuph with whatever sad stabber I had and Gledrukmig (Santego) walked by and handed me a wicked black stiletto. I was in total shock and forever grateful and we became great friends. =)

--D2
Galzar
Sojourner

Postby Galzar » Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:30 am

let me think, ok still thinking.......... hmmmmmmmmmmm. thinking still............ aww i know when lyta gave me his sandstorm goggles
Elarin
Sojourner

Postby Elarin » Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:48 am

I can't remember the name of the person who did this now, but way back in my first incarnation, I was around level 8 as a cleric and some grey elf sends me a tell asking if i can spare a ration. so I word of recall back to Leuth wander to the fountain and cast create food. As i do that he starts handing a PILE of stuff 2 fireweeds, turtleshell eyepatch, mace and skull ringmail, 2 titanium rings(back when they were 75HP) the list goes on, basically a full set of high-level HP gear(worked out to around -80 ac as well). He said the ration was just to make sure that I was a generous sort <G> to whomever you were thanks!

Elarin is losing his memory
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Feb 24, 2001 2:07 am

Rofl I just rememberd a couple other things!

Kajib, Archung still owes you those suede boots from toril!

And to whoever left a small leather bag at 1w during the Toril era with 2 tit rings in them i was very grateful as I traded them to stack out my monk better than most monks who were way higher then me!
Taer/Ssil
Sojourner

Postby Taer/Ssil » Sat Feb 24, 2001 5:34 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B>I was about level 10 or so, wandering through Ixarkon killing stuph with whatever sad stabber I had and Gledrukmig (Santego) walked by and handed me a wicked black stiletto. I was in total shock and forever grateful and we became great friends. =)

--D2</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is off subject, but do you (or anyone) know if Gled is gonna play this time around?
Zogur
Sojourner

Postby Zogur » Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:13 am

Most valuable thing someone gave me previous wipe was Jegzed giving me an item I missed for becoming the first true evil with the enchanted dread gythka of the thri-keen.

Part from that, all the time, items, friendship and crap invested in my mediocrity by Eldric over the years since Sojourn1.
Alistra
Sojourner

Postby Alistra » Sat Feb 24, 2001 10:27 am

When I first started mudding in '96 I got a full set of low level eq from various people on my first day.. then I knew I had to come back just so those gifts didn't go to waste! Been hooked ever since. Image I think one of my favorites was when Blaithe, Athelas and Xyd took me to do Faerie Goggles (I was like 6th level or some such, and just stood outside casting cure light to make myself feel useful, but had a blast) and gave me the Emerald Long Sword, and the next time the goggles themselves.
Jasix once gave me a pair of really cool gloves (can't remember what they were but they were expensive in WD) because he said "they match the rest of your eq rather nicely"... Glaetheal/ Morrinal/ Dorhain gave me tons of eq, and every few levels would upgrade it, always making sure I looked pretty. *flutter* He was awesome.
That's all I can really remember atm, but so many people were so generous all over the mud... it's a nice feeling knowing that we mudders can get along so well - for the most part Image

Alistra/Enistaeliea/Aryliea
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Sat Feb 24, 2001 10:37 am

After losing all of my not-so-superb 18th level conjurer's set of eq whilst exploring UM (a somewhat bad idea for newbies), a paladin named Xanador helped me out with a bag of caster stuff, most notable of which was a suit of dwarven scalemail. It wasn't the greatest of eq, obviously, but to me it was shockingly cool. That paladin's kindness convinced me not to give up on this time consuming game that appeared to be harder than I had thought...

-- Shevy
Ronathar/Galnyrith
Sojourner

Postby Ronathar/Galnyrith » Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:48 am

After losing all my stuff down in troll marshes with my Elven Warrior (was having fun exploring the area between WD and BG) I dunno why but I didnt bother asking any for a CR. But I came back the next day, and made it back to WD from Leuth. And a Barbarian asked me what happened. I told him/her and said it happened the day before. And before I knew it, I got a load of decent exp, most of which was better then what I had. I also gave away any extra equipment I had to who ever needed it. So in turn it proves to me atleast, what goes around comes around Image
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:25 pm

Xanador!

ROR!

- Ragorn
kwirl
Sojourner

Postby kwirl » Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:46 pm

you know - ive given away my fair share of items, like most of us i am sure. as you get up in levels, you get more and more eq, that really you just don't need. but lets be honest, most of us are packrats in some form. we equip alts, we put it on storage, whatever. but i have really learned just how good it is for the game, and myself - to give things to a new player. i would group with an alt, and play with people of similar classes, usually looking for new players. i would let them see what i would do, and help them with advice, and etc. usually after one of these sessions - they know i am an experienced player, and invariably are grateful for the knowledge they have gained. when i feel that the player will stick around - i do whatever i can to give that player good eq. i mean, to me gith swords and dorf scale and stuff just ends up on storage, come on - how often do we use it.

but to that level 12 character - you have just given him a great treasure. tiny silver rings, shining mithril broadswords, these things are storage to us - but treasure to the new people. when you give this stuff away - it makes a statement about you as a player and a person, and those people will remember.
and one day, when you are in trouble with a CR, that little guy you helped who has gone on to achieve level 50 status etc - he will be there to help you.

as long as we are all generous with both our knowledge and treasures, then we are part of a world that will thrive and grow - and people will know why this is the best damn mud when they come here to play.

love all you guys

-kwirl/thamas/dazok

-ps - nothing wrong with hoarding, just try to remember that giving something away is a better feeling than selling a flaming stiletto to a newbie for 3 or 4 hundred plat. at least imho.
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Sat Feb 24, 2001 7:57 pm

Two situations come to mind.
The 1st was a long time ago when I was
playing an ogre. I had very newbie eq and
was waiting at the ferry to go north when along come kanthas and bratlii, she looked
at me and ask where was my weapon soldier?
I said well this is it and she promptly gave
me one of those +3 +3 axes.

The second was early on playing Thrandrieliad
my duergar cleric. I got asked to help kill
the gnome cleric in talenrock, well somehow
the thain was out or I ran into him but anyways I died to this thain and someone (attok) was dragging my corpse out of the zone and took a wrong turn and dragged it into the magic dark and silent room there.
So my corpse was lost along with all its eq.
Somehow trio found out about this and opened up his storage char and gave me enuf eq to keep going on Image Thanks Image
Tilandal
Sojourner

Postby Tilandal » Sat Feb 24, 2001 9:30 pm

Back on Toril the most valuable thing I was given was a jeweled cestus. Unfotunatly I was a mage so I couldent use it so I gave it to a friend. The most valuable item I got was a fly helm. Found it in some random bag I picked up somewhere. If you remember loosing a helm and visor with a griffon plume thats where it went, sorry. (I couldent use the helm either so I ended up using it to buy some other stuff, never did find the owner)
Ulnd
Sojourner

Postby Ulnd » Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:02 pm

The nicest thing I got given to me was a Flammy. God I loved it. It first started out as a lone. But the months went on and after he saw how much it had grown on me he decided to let me have it. I can't remember who gave it to me though(how's that for appreciation Image. He was a dwarf cleric. I think it was maybe Braimer or Braithsomething. Bah, either way I remember doing a lot of stuff with him and always enjoying his company. Also, I should put an honarable mention in for Grimlak/Kaihen who really helped me aquire a lot of stuff(although I had to work for it, which is half the fun). Thanks Grim, you never provided a dull moment. Enough writing

ahhhhh shit I remember the name now, it was Branthur. how could I forget
Ulnd/Folrath

[This message has been edited by Ulnd (edited 02-26-2001).]
Kobei
Sojourner

Postby Kobei » Sat Feb 24, 2001 11:40 pm

Heh I remember getting a weapon waaaaaay back when I played Kasca...an elven warrior, those two words just don't go together heh, in the days of KOL if anyone can remember that far back, I received what I THINK was a golden scimitar from someone I can't remember Image It was the best weapon I had ever had and only better than a knife but at the time it was the nicest thing anyone had ever done for me!!

Kobei
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Sun Feb 25, 2001 1:13 am

Serro was cleaning out his stor char one day, when I was a mere level 10 troll. He looks at me and snickers, and I got a little pissed about that. He starts fiddling around with items, putting crap in bps etc. Next thing I know he tells me to consent, so I do. He hands me a bp full of stuff, about 2 1/2 full sets of EQ. Most of the stuff was polished bone eq from Ghore, although he threw in a couple of decos, couple of tg's, and a whole slew of other stuff. I ended up giving a bunch of it back to him when he quit and then came back so he could have some eq to wear lol.

I think I probably gave away dozens of sets of eq over the years to unfortunate people. Psst, btw Kajib, you forget about that frosty I gave you a long time ago. :P *tease*
I remember giving away about 20 or 30 of those gleaming metal clubs from the Ghore foul smelling guards at one time, back when they rocked at 2d8 +3 +3 and were magic.

Eq, feh....hehe. I can't even remember half the stuff I ever had.

Yasmonkey
Vazzgo
Sojourner

Postby Vazzgo » Sun Feb 25, 2001 9:11 am

One day my brother found a flamberge inside a bp droped in wd, since he didn't heard anyone asking for it in a coupple hours he just sold it and got a helluva nice tons of eq.. i was drooling with him
Ruagh
Sojourner

Postby Ruagh » Mon Feb 26, 2001 4:16 pm

I got a tiny golden earring and a Broadsword of Dancing Shadows, and an adamantite brigandine armor when I was just a small ogre... Thank you, Plut, Zloebis, Kathele, Roktar! I hope you will come back here once again! BTW, was this broadsword a cool one? I liked its proc Image, it was very pretty. I'll try to get it as soon as Toril opens... and when I'll got high level.

Ruagh, who is awaiting for the MUD to open.

[This message has been edited by Ruagh (edited 02-26-2001).]
Vylare
Sojourner

Postby Vylare » Mon Feb 26, 2001 5:12 pm

There was so much stuff, really, over the years. But the thing I will always remember most is on my very first character, Aleatha, a paladin. She was given a lost sword at level 4 I think and was the envy of all split shield. Image

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2001 7:08 pm

Two people stand out in my memory related to this.

The first is the item that meant the most to me as Altheria - my bard.

I was given a Minotaur Lyre by Khazid. He spent many hours and many deaths trudging through the maze trying to kill the Minotaur to get this gift for me. I had other instruments but consistently played that lyre because of the value it held for me.

The second item was significant to Fayren - my druid.

It was towards the end of Sojourn 2 and I have finally gotten level 46. Yarith was logged on and realized that I had leveled. He gave me his Orb and helped me find the quest mob so that I could get MoonWell.

Many thanks to both of them.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Mon Feb 26, 2001 9:16 pm

I'd say the best thing I ever got was all of those rare mobs, especially the 3-4 dragons for the dragon cult quest. The help I got from all those people was the best thing I ever got. They helped me knowing they wouldn't get anything in return.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 26, 2001 9:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Taer/Ssil:
This is off subject, but do you (or anyone) know if Gled is gonna play this time around?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not know. I've been in contact with a few other "old school" evils ("old school" meaning pre-squids, pre-snakes and pre-drow) but I haven't heard from Gled in quite a long time. he used to pop onto S2 occassionally from what I remember, so maybe he'll pop in again.

--D2

Return to “S3 General Discussion Archive”