Zone Complete Flag

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Wargo
Sojourner

Zone Complete Flag

Postby Wargo » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:51 am

Okay since most of zoning groups take quite a bit of time to figure out which zone is not and which is not, here is a suggestion. Why not load one "zone complete flag" (gettable item) at the end of each zone. Whoever leads the zone can pick it up at the end and trade it in some where for prestige points. Whoever wants to know which zone is done just do a locate object on these flags and see which flags are missing and people would know which zones are done Image

Yssilk
Yasden
Sojourner

Postby Yasden » Tue Jan 22, 2002 1:55 am

Ignore him, he just got through playing Super Mario Bros. for 10 hours straight.

:P
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Tue Jan 22, 2002 2:36 am

a news like command with group leaders able to submit info would be good.

1:34 playerY
Did jot palace mage camp and thyrm
1:04 playerX
Did amy in brass
4:20 playerZ
did TF
4:21 playerZ
cept for render

that way if you had a question about a zone you could ask the person who posted. Also, you could post starting times (time stamped by game) to help establish zone ownership, course all of this would rely on integrity.

0:25 playerA
entered smoke got spanked killed 1 mob
Magruk Eat Elf
Sojourner

Postby Magruk Eat Elf » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:15 pm

Why not just add to the who command something like this.

Who zone

[25 War] Magruk Eat Elf (SMOKE)

just a simple example.. but not show maybe everyone.. but maybe just show the leader of the group and where they're located or where a majority of they're group is located mebbe
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:20 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Magruk Eat Elf:
<B>Why not just add to the who command something like this.

Who zone

[25 War] Magruk Eat Elf (SMOKE)

just a simple example.. but not show maybe everyone.. but maybe just show the leader of the group and where they're located or where a majority of they're group is located mebbe</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I remember correctly, they used to have that command, in fact, had it up until the day Soj2 went down... It was just "zone" I think...
I still find myself typing it occasionally, it used to say the name of the zone, give a quick snippet of info about it, then display the players in it in a sort of "who" list, unless they were invis.

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Salen
Sojourner

Postby Salen » Tue Jan 22, 2002 9:03 pm

Would the 'zone' command not work to solve the problems like invasion has had (Smoke too,all it would need is a # like Jot invasion has to claim zone. 8 41+ or whatever.)
Zone would list them out, no questions.
Zone
Cat(Barb)Shaman
Sissy (Elf)Warrior
Frizzizizizzillesnizzlewhippledi (Gnome)Idiot
Stump (Dwarf) Conjurer
Moron (Human) Conjurer
Billy Shakes (Human)Bard

Nope not enough to claim it yet. Get people to smoke.

Seems too simple doesn't it.

As for the Zone completed part, that would prolly be a pain to code. I think it would be kinda cool if you could have lists of accomplishments for major Zones. Would look something like:

Check Jot
Folur defeated Trolls 1:01:18
Folur defeated Thrym 1:22:07
Folur defeated Utgard-Loki 1:54:12
Time 2:28:01
Hrmm guess Jot's done

Check SG
No tales from SG.

tel Frensolith SG?

Frensolith tells yeah Am in SG now

Check SG
Frensolith defeated Skeloh 2:28:05

Doh
Galok Icewolf
Sojourner

Postby Galok Icewolf » Wed Jan 23, 2002 2:34 am

I would be estactic if even something, a flag somewhere that a zone has been completed. It's a large drain in time and energy;

tell folur whats zones have ya done?
Wait 5 minutes,
tell touk what zones have ya done?
wait 5 minutes,
tell dornax what zones have ya done?
wait 5 minutes,
2 people leave the group
tell gormal what zones have ya done?
wait 5 minutes
another 2 people leave the group
tell lazzraxxuum what zones have ya done?
wait 5 minutes
recruit 4-5 people to replace those that left, then finally get to zone.
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:14 am

What I have in mind is some unique item placed at the end of the each major high level zones with a unique keyword...

ex,
c 'locate' marvelous
a marvelous flame of the City of Brass lies Padashaw's chamber.
a marvelous jewel of Cave City lies in Quturac's lair.
a marvelous orb of Air Plane carried by someone.
a marvelous scale of Skerttd-Gul lies in the Throne Room.

Then you know zones like jot, fp, sf, astral, md, roots, oakvale, ic, tf have been done and available zones left are brass, cc, ap, and sg. They are either not done, partially done, or being done. To reward people for picking them up I think is to reward them with something cool such as 50 prestige points if they turn it into the quest mob. I think this would be relatively easy to implement. All gods have to do is to find a unique word that has not be used. Make one item for each of the high level zones and drop them or give to the head mob in the room with the toughest fight. Then code a quest mob to accept all these items for prestige points.

Yssilk, simple idea with great time saving Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:31 am

zone complete flag
people rarely do a full zone, mostly hit major items. when was the last time a jot group did palace, thyrm, mages and searched grid? the exceptions > what you would accomplish with a zone compelte flag. you wanna put flags at every major section? so jot would have like 4 flags? TF 2 or 3? ect...

logging milestones
neat concept, would probably be simplest and most effective to keep a list of mobs to log death of then make this log accessible by players. With some zones this wouldnt work well, like smoke invasion, air, fire, astrals. This would work great for small things that arent considered zones like ancient brownie, bg eq. Might have further implications for twinks... damnit caz you killed ancient brownie last 8 boots, let someone else have a shot!

who zone
it already exists, but only gods have access. how does this help 35 hours into boot? If a group gets spanked in a zone this won't help either. the suggestor also mentioned something about oh only 8 not enough to claim ect... what if they have dead.

All the above have good points and could help address the lack of knowledge concerning which zones are done. The number one problem is probably that they provide too much involuntary information. I may not want you to know im in zone, killed tg, did ivory and bag in ribcage.

This is why I suggested a time stamped log that people could post relevant information to. If you want to let folks know what zones you did or which parts of which zones you can post it. If you don't people are no worse off than they are atm. Of course this system has a lot of potential for abuse and relies heavily on player integrity, but then again the other systems also provide a lot of potential for abuse in the abuse of information.

Comes down to this, my proposal would take a minimum of code and not need updating by staff each time a new zone comes in yet is extremely versatile and could provide a wealth of information if players choose to use it. Yes there will be level 1 assholes posting "finished jot" and others lieing "entered smoke plan with group of 12", and yet others making inappropriate comments "got enough twilights yet folur?", but if staff would define the rules and check the log once in a while, it would be no worse than policing ooc. Worst case, gods selectively give people the ability to post to the log or take away the ability for abusers to post.

A common mistake people make is to try and program their way out of a every problem. We don't need a complicated system to get what we want. Some simple code and a little consideration for each other could produce some amazing results.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:51 am

I did jot grid, palace, thrym and mage camp last night.

Dornax
Jurdex

I understand your point, though. Image
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Wed Jan 23, 2002 3:59 am

shrug drop a freaking note at zone entrance man. cast 'minor create' paper
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:38 am

Geez who cares, if it's done move elsewhere, I can't believe this topic came up.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Jan 23, 2002 8:54 am

Or make locate object ONLY show eq on mobs.

And quit adding NOLOCATE to regular items Image
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Wed Jan 23, 2002 1:24 pm

Loki's Chamber
Exits: West
Corpse of Gormal lies here.
[3]Corpse of a frost giant jarl.
Corpse of Utgard-Loki is lying here.
Corpse of a pet dragon is lying here.
A Marvelous orb sits on a pedestal.

Rylan leave the orb there to be a pain in the ass to make people think the zone wasn't done Image
Frensolith
Sojourner

Postby Frensolith » Thu Jan 24, 2002 12:31 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2"> Check SG
No tales from SG.

tel Frensolith SG?

Frensolith tells yeah Am in SG now

Check SG
Frensolith defeated Skeloh 2:28:05

Doh

</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

BAM!! Take that Skeloh!

Frensolith, Elven Warrior
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Thu Jan 24, 2002 1:17 am

thats a great idea gormal
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Thu Jan 24, 2002 7:39 am

I completely disagree 10000000 percent. This is a role playing game to play with compadres! Not a game to see how fast we can do 5 zones!
Showing where a player is, would completely take away from clairannoyance.

I agree with Gormal and Cherza completely!

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Thu Jan 24, 2002 9:17 am

Boggle. where you get the showing where players are idea from? My original topic was simply asking for an unique and suitable item at the end of a major zone. What's so damaging about that?

Yssilk
ssar
Sojourner

Postby ssar » Thu Jan 24, 2002 3:51 pm

You have a point, Gordex.

A zone flag idea has some merit, but imo hardly warrants coders' time when they could be getting bards and menzo and helpfiles and other cool goodies finished.

It's easy, I think.

The looter in a zone group should drop 1 copper or 1 silver coin on the ground in a few important rooms near the entrance, and a few important rooms partway in.

And perhaps a few utterly crap items from the zone and a few partial rations, perhaps.

This already goes on to some degree in some lesser areas.

1 lesser coin only plz.

A few rooms in important areas, so that fools who for some reason want to pick up 1 copper coin perhaps wont ruin the "message".

As for trying to learn this info in advance/from afar in the realms, I dont think any further tools to aid this are necessary.

Mogr.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:41 pm

We've found an easy way of figuring out if goodies have done zones. We look for ranger droppings. Failed carvings, partially eaten foraged food, and lots of broken arrows. Those rangers sure do make a mess.

-Todrael
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:36 pm

This has happened a few times:

Mage tells you 'heh guess we won't be doing that zone :P'
You tell Mage 'eh? *swat* who told ya?'
Mage tells you 'help skill_mage Image'
You tell Mage 'hehe oh yeah.'

Clair is uberuseful.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Fri Jan 25, 2002 12:17 am

Tod: Druids keep the environment clean. Rangers just look good in green tights Image

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Fri Jan 25, 2002 4:31 am

Clairvoyance is already used by most mages (at WD fountain at least) to look in on friends, tell newbies how to get out of a place where they're lost, and check if a resser is free so you don't piss em off when they obviously busy. So just ask anyone over level 26 to clair Dornax, Gormal, Touk, etc....The regulars. That'll give you 90% of who's doing what when...the hard zones very few people lead.

Besides, it's fun to snoop. Image

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”