Stoneskin drop message

Archive of the Sojourn3 Ideas Forum.
Dalar
Sojourner

Stoneskin drop message

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:48 am

How about a message to all players in the room when someone stoneskin breaks?
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Fri Feb 15, 2002 7:20 am

Feh, just glance, you lazy bastard Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:51 am

write a trigger.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Fri Feb 15, 2002 8:41 pm

I wouldn't mind glancing but that would mean I would have to set my zmud buffer pretty low meaning I can't backtrack to see what someone said to me an hour ago etc.

how about a 'watch' command which adds another person's condition onto your display bar. like

In a fight:
< 850h/850H 130p/130P 119v/139V Ketroc: Pretty Hurt T: Glarec TC: excellent E: sailor EC: few scratches >

< 818h/850H 130p/130P 100v/139V Ketroc: Pretty Hurt>
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:33 am

when you complete your spell. all can see ur skin harden to stone. so why shouldn't they be able to see it turn back to normal. I mean we're not blind are we? + this would just be useful cos that way when someone lose link or is a caster/tank (chanting triggers goes off yada yada) then well u know, they will survive easier.
also for like a few weeks, i couldn't be grouped in some zones cos it hurt my align (was going from -1k to neutral) so i had to constantly glance. sucked.
Gindipple
Sojourner

Postby Gindipple » Thu Feb 21, 2002 10:50 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
<B>I wouldn't mind glancing but that would mean I would have to set my zmud buffer pretty low meaning I can't backtrack to see what someone said to me an hour ago etc.
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

*boggle* how does glancing imply the buffer change?
As for what people say and gsay #CAP them to seperate windows, it works great.
Ilneval
Sojourner

Postby Ilneval » Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:36 pm

How about:

"(charname) doesn't look quite as stoned to you." ?

[This message has been edited by Ilneval (edited 02-21-2002).]
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:37 pm

*shrug* Personally I'd rather not have another message that causes spam when everyones stone drops.

I like dalar's idea for watch tho.
Klurg
Sojourner

Postby Klurg » Mon Feb 25, 2002 12:33 am

Well well stone blocks a certain amount of attacks and it based on lvl I just have a trigger counting attacks on the tanks that need stones and give me a message when it runs out on tanks. Ofc this is from a shaman perspective I dont know if spec enchantment makes it block a random amount of more attacks like spec healing do for vits hp. But I find this very usefull when zoning but it kinda suck for exping when u mem outside and such but ofc when doin exp stones arent needed to be refreshed to0 perfectly!

/Klurg Miss Groupie supreme
kaitos
Sojourner

Postby kaitos » Mon Feb 25, 2002 8:58 pm

Enchanters get a slightly random number of hits, but shamans, elementalist can count hits nods. I prefer the glancing trick to adding another line of text to the screen.
-neno
Selias
Sojourner

Postby Selias » Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:06 pm

As another enchanter inputting his opinion, I'm against another line of text when stone drops... there's enough spam already.

Actually there already is a way to tell when stone drops... if you see more than 1 hit message that isn't "barely" or whatever the low end message is, then you know that stone has dropped. If there's only 1 line of a hard hit, then that is likely a crit.

The bottom line is that you have to pay attention at all times. I just wish that stupid Ambran sword wouldn't proc stone =P always screws up my spellups on pallies.

Postby Guest » Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:09 pm

Due to recent changes, it would be possible to add a message *just* to the caster of the stone. Any input on whether people would want to see this?
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Mon Feb 25, 2002 11:22 pm

I think it would absolutely rock, Iyachtu..

I hate glancing.. shudder.

It is one of the reasons I have never played a chanter.

Dornax
Jurdex
Dlur
Sojourner

Postby Dlur » Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:29 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Iyachtu:
Due to recent changes, it would be possible to add a message *just* to the caster of the stone. Any input on whether people would want to see this?</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think on one hand this would be good, as it would let stoners be a little more lazy. It is rather annoying to constantly glance, but I think glancing constantly and knowing just how long you can go before you need to glance again is what helps make an enchanter/conjurer good(that and a lot of gags). Those that just wait for stone out triggers to go off generally suck in my opinion, and I wouldn't want them to be my stoner if I was a tank.

I also see this as an abuseable way to trigger/robot an enchanter so that the enchanter doesn't need to do anything at all. If you do code up something like this, perhaps it would be best to not say whose stone dropped. Perhaps make it be something similar to the embodiment drop messages that elementalists see. This would let you know that you need to stone somebody, but not necesarily who it is. If you're just doing exp, then you would know which tank to stone, but if you're in a large group, you're still going to need to glance to see which tank stone dropped on. This way you'd have easier exp, and still maintain the difficulty of the class in harder zones.

Ghimok
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:40 am

I like the idea.

I agree with Dlur on it possibly being abusable, but honestly, every idea that is imped can be abused in some way shape or form, so not imping it based on that would be a little silly.

I say try this and give it a shot. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work, but man this would make my life less spammy.

[Edit] Oh, and if it didn't tell me who stone dropped on, with 4-8 targets, that'd suck. heh.. Elementalists don't say because they can only have one up at any given time.

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 02-25-2002).]
draccus
Sojourner

Postby draccus » Tue Feb 26, 2002 12:57 am

Hurm, a stone drop msg to the caster is abusable? How would someone writing triggers for be a abuse? Seems to me a creative person with Zmud or Rapscallion or any major mud client can do the same w/o the new msg suggestion.

Matter of fact I have a spiffy one that captures the gsays, tells and says of a set number of tanks and captures thier "stone out" triggers and stuffs them into variables. Then uses the variables to cast stone/scales on auto-pilot. Seems that is exactly what is suggested as abuse here.

The thing is its totally worthless in a zone group, a waste of time in any difficult combat situation. It is handy for xping and following around your little friends that want to level a char rq.

Any chanter would sooner or later find out that writing trigs for a stone out msg alone would be a crutch in zone groups and such.

Guess my point is msg or no msg you can still write a bot. Not having the msg is a pretty lame way of preventing it.

D
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Tue Feb 26, 2002 7:57 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Jurdex:
<B>I think it would absolutely rock, Iyachtu..
</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

agreed!
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Feb 26, 2002 10:40 am

yeah add this feature. It really sucks to have to do any work to play the most powerful class in the game. While you're at it can i get a feature that shows me a persons hp when im out of the room meming heals? maybe one that auto heals for me?

less laziness please. leave the class hard/annoying to play. they get the power that makes up for it...shamans and elems included.
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:18 pm

Not gonna flame you Nermal, but please play the class in a zone as the only enchanter before you make a comment like this.

It has nothing to do with laziness. If the change didn't go in, it wouldn't affect how I do my job. If it went in, it wouldn't affect how I do my job. It WOULD affect how many pounds of spam I have to cram through my terminal however, which would give me less of a headache.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Feb 26, 2002 6:29 pm

ADD it please for just the caster!

Glancing the tank over and over is boring, I rather cast offensive spells and know iimediatly when "MY SPELL" wears off the tank.

Thanks!
Ensis
Sojourner

Postby Ensis » Tue Feb 26, 2002 8:05 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>yeah add this feature. It really sucks to have to do any work to play the most powerful class in the game. While you're at it can i get a feature that shows me a persons hp when im out of the room meming heals? maybe one that auto heals for me?

less laziness please. leave the class hard/annoying to play. they get the power that makes up for it...shamans and elems included.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

somebody needs a nap Image *hug*
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:29 pm

why cant people understand that having to look through spam can be part of what makes a class hard to play? dont give me crap about it either...i've been playing a warrior on telnet for months now...looking at a room to see whos tanking is so much more spam then glancing...plus i cant macro 1000 glances like you zmud dorks.

making everything easier and easier to do like this just makes the mud that much easier.
Ilshadrial
Sojourner

Postby Ilshadrial » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:32 pm

Regardless of how easy one thinks the classes may become, *ponder*, It is the CASTER's SPELL, and they should know innately when their magic has ceased to function, it makes perfect since from a logical stand point.

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 26, 2002 9:47 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gormal:
<B>yeah add this feature. It really sucks to have to do any work to play the most powerful class in the game. While you're at it can i get a feature that shows me a persons hp when im out of the room meming heals? maybe one that auto heals for me?

less laziness please. leave the class hard/annoying to play. they get the power that makes up for it...shamans and elems included.</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You did make one assumption here that I think you really shouldn't have. If this is added, it won't give a message to the caster when they're outta the room. That would just be silly.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Feb 27, 2002 3:04 am

a global stone out trigger would be very beneficial to this enchanter who has arthritis. even hot keying 'glance tank' hurts after a while bub.

no, it wont help if i'm out memming, but i dont do much in a group cept stone/haste/blur so i dont mem every fight. Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 11, 2002 10:41 am

if your going to put the message in, make it room wide. we have tog condensed. also, if you were fighting with your comrades your natural glancing during a round would make it fairly obvious when stone dropped (assuming its a visible effect rather than a puerly magical one). Also, in zone, warriors might like the message to know when to rescue each other and clerics to start casting a full.

do it to the room

or if you allowed communication commands (gsay/tell/say/shout) to work while lagged (but not parad or stunned) that would be better. your in combat you get bashed, but you can't shout to your comrades rescue me? stone me? ect?

Yea we trigger everything, but what is the point of our spell out triggers? to communicate, just like we would in real combat. well that and so we dont miss things in scroll.

as for twinking/botting, everyone gsays their spell outs, its not hard to setup auto haste triggers and thats not even a glanceable effect. since the message wouldnt be echoed to a caster out of the room its no worse than present, and in actuality, wouldnt change anything for the stoner as is except allow them to auto abort offensive spells to stone and possibly reduce the bash/sp/rescue lag effect on spell out messages.

[This message has been edited by kiryan (edited 03-11-2002).]

Return to “S3 Ideas Archive”