Hunger and Thirst

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Wobb
Sojourner

Hunger and Thirst

Postby Wobb » Sun Apr 08, 2001 2:53 pm

Come on. I've played sojourn since 1995 and nothing has ever bothered me so much. It's a freaking game. I don't know too many other games that if you don't drink and eat you can't continue. It's not realism, its a game.

Take hunger and thirst out.

Yeah yeah, i know all the arguments, and that it adds a flavor of realism and forces players to think ahead and be "prepared" players. I also understand there is new code that works with hunger and thirst...to affect other conditions. But honestly, would you play Quake3 if you had to stop and eat before you could move another 2 feet to pick up the rail gun?

I think it's time for hunger and thirst to go.

Let's hear some feedback people, it will always be around unless we say something about it.

Wobb/Vurad/Dror
Me
Sojourner

Postby Me » Sun Apr 08, 2001 3:00 pm

I love hunger, thirst and darkness. I wish all three were still a factor beyond the very lowest levels, rather than everyone minor c'ing rations, and carrying around 50 perm light sources.

Annoying sometimes? Perhaps. However, I think that it adds a nice little spice to the game, where I have to plan ahead a little bit.

Of course, I really doubt anyone agrees with me. I'm insane.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Apr 08, 2001 3:03 pm

I am actually not in favour of this, I agree with the argument of it making prepared players and think that, even though it is a pain, in a game like this it adds a flavour.

In games like Unreal and Rainbow Six, you aren't usually in there long enough to worry about it. In a MUD, the character litterally exists for decades (and occasionally longer).

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Apr 08, 2001 3:22 pm

I don't recall minding it in the past, but this time around it really irritates me. Maybe I've been playing too much duris (no hunger code) and basternae (need food much less than here).

I wouldn't want it removed, that would be unrealistic. What I propose is to make the interval for getting hungry longer, it's really frustrating to have to 'get ration backpack;eat ration;get barrel bag;drink barrel;put barrel bag' every 5 minutes... once per game day (20 ticks or so) would still be realistic yet less irritating. Or just raise the nutrion value for food/water so they fill you for longer Image
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Apr 08, 2001 6:41 pm

Yeah, I have to agree with keeping it in. But maybe tweak it so that you don't get quite as hungry and thirsty quite as often or at least to a lesser degree when you do. Since you're supposedly out there fighting, you're body is under stress and one of the natural responses is for the body to decrease hunger since you don't have time to stop and eat. I forget the exact term for it, think it's either the sympathetic or parasympathetic system (one is for stress, the other is for absence of stress).

And besides, we've got all sorts of neat food items in the mud!

"You eat part of a large rat."
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Apr 08, 2001 8:25 pm

I would vote to keep it in.. But for the love of god, PLEASE reduce the rates that you are hungry/thirsty. Image

------------------
Mal

PS - As always, opinions contained are my own, and are not intended to offend or upset anyone, but are merely outspoken thoughts from myself. If you have issues with them, bring em up, but keep flaming to emails.
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Sun Apr 08, 2001 8:47 pm

Now toning it down I *would* be strongly in favour of.

------------------

Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning

[This message has been edited by Elseenas (edited 04-08-2001).]
Klosh
Sojourner

Postby Klosh » Sun Apr 08, 2001 9:14 pm

Klosh concurs
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Fri Jun 29, 2001 1:35 am

Just wanted to reiterate...hunger and thirst sucked a few months ago..still suck..

thanks

oh i guess i need to make a suggestion to have my post have any impact...it would be nice to tone down the frequency of hunger and thirst at the very least....but it would be even better to remove them completely from the game..its a game....

[This message has been edited by Wobb (edited 06-28-2001).]
Ragorn
Sojourner

Postby Ragorn » Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:09 am

Playing a MUD with hunger and thirst is like playing D&D with a careful eye toward encumberance. Yes, it's more realistic, and yes it adds flavor to the game. But in the end all it does is bog down the action.

Kind of reminds me of The Sims, where you have to tell your people to go to the bathroom. I mean... really. We all just use triggers for hunger and thirst anyway, why even bother anymore? Image

I'd give it the big 86.
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:10 am

I think hunger/thirst code DOES add something.

My beef with it is that it does happen too often. I think a tone down would be great.

Suggestion: If you are walking/running a lot of places you need to eat more. If you are in the same 20 rooms you need to eat less. If you are re-gening hitpoints or moves, you need to eat more. If you are at full health, you need to eat less.

Ogres should eat HUGE ammounts of food (when they DO eat) but should eat at times fewer and farther between.

Trolls should eat UNGODLY ammounts of food ONLY while regening, but normal human ammounts if they are at full health.

Humans should be about where they are at now, a little less often would be nice tho.

gnomes/halflings/elves of all kinds should eat less and less often than humans

dwarves of both kinds and snakes should be about right.. tone down about 10% maybe (from what i've heard)

anyway.... you can see my point?

Nitania
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:00 am

about being realistic... I think also sleep should added, no mage can mem spells or clerics pray for spells if they did not have they'r 8 hours sleep. Also a Warrior/thief can not stay awake for days in a row.

So a code that requires 8 (game) hours of sleep every 24 (game) hours would give a nice edge of realism.

I think removing the code that you can mem/pray the same spell over and over each (game) day to cast the same spell always is kinda wierd following ad&d or d&d rules. Now we are at it, remove that code to, or change it so its not posible.

Also I think the food code should be changed becouse a human/unhuman body can not eat 24 hours a day, 365 days a year rations and water, you need vitamines. So longer then 3 days eating the same should lower your con by 25 points or so.

I'm in total agrement with realism, but then make it really real. It adds flavor and spice to the game.
Lonel
Sojourner

Postby Lonel » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:16 am

Hunger and thirst needs to stay in, I dont want a repeat of Duris here. Not to bash it in any way but it adds more realism and just that 'Sojourn' flavor in it.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:18 am

Let's remove all non-human player classes and monsters too, they are not real. Magic has to go as well. And when you die, your character is gone and you have to start over.
Galorion
Sojourner

Postby Galorion » Fri Jun 29, 2001 2:37 pm

I vote for keeping it in but reducing the frequency of getting hungry/thirsty.
Vassar
Sojourner

Postby Vassar » Fri Jun 29, 2001 5:18 pm

re: Nitania

Actually, you have Ogres and Snakes turned around.

Ogres are just about right. They eat pretty regularly and sometimes require more than one ration to fill up.

Snakes, IRL that is, require a huge amount of food in one sitting and then don't eat for up to a week or longer. The Yuan-ti help file alludes to this yet I don't see a Yuan-ti's eating habits being anywhere near that of a real snake's.

Vassar

[This message has been edited by Vassar (edited 06-29-2001).]
Shevarash
FORGER CODER

Postby Shevarash » Fri Jun 29, 2001 7:15 pm

I think what would really add some realism to the game is if pleas towards the Gods of the realms were completely ignored, leaving the mortals to wonder if there really is a God(s), and forming various opinions about what sort of God(s)there may be. Of course, all of the various religious factions would quickly be at each other's throats, adding some spice and competitiveness to the game...

Hah.

Seriously tho, we're not going to remove hunger/thirst, but I will look at the code and seed if any changes to it are warranted.

------------------
<B>Shevarash -- Code Forger of Sojourn3
</B>
Thurg
Sojourner

Postby Thurg » Fri Jun 29, 2001 8:15 pm

i have to agree with the snake version... we eat alot, i make/buy rations what seems like everyday

lmao shev Image

maybe tone down h/t plze........

------------------
Thurg, Zossonnarr, Gramordeus, Zanzor, Zhaxilor, Krondal
Nitania
Sojourner

Postby Nitania » Sat Jun 30, 2001 1:30 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Vassar:
<B>re: Nitania

Actually, you have Ogres and Snakes turned around.

Ogres are just about right. They eat pretty regularly and sometimes require more than one ration to fill up.

Snakes, IRL that is, require a huge amount of food in one sitting and then don't eat for up to a week or longer. The Yuan-ti help file alludes to this yet I don't see a Yuan-ti's eating habits being anywhere near that of a real snake's.

Vassar

[This message has been edited by Vassar (edited 06-29-2001).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Good point Vassar Image You are right.

Nitania
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sat Jun 30, 2001 9:43 am

Besides, a real snake would never eat an iron ration- it would prefer whole live prey . I thusly suggest that snakes be allowed to eat anything they kill, much akin to the dogs in Waterdeep. After swallowing an entire buffalo whole, a snake will be groggy for a few days as it digests, but won't have to worry about eating for the next month.

Yayaril
Vassar
Sojourner

Postby Vassar » Sat Jun 30, 2001 3:14 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>I thusly suggest that snakes be allowed to eat anything they kill
Yayaril[/B]</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Snakes eat their prey live, be they incapacitated or kickin and screamin.

Perhaps a command like Illithids' braindrain should be in order, where around once per MUD week (this time should depend on constitution) a snake can swallow whole a "tiny" or "small" creature if it is incapcitated. A restriction should be set so that you can only use this command when hungry.

Real snakes wouldn't eat rations, but yuan-ti's are half-man, half-snake, so I think it'd be possible. The thought of having eat live prey definately sounds cooler though Image

[This message has been edited by Vassar (edited 06-30-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Vassar (edited 06-30-2001).]

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 30, 2001 4:40 pm

LOL Shev :P

What's funny about this thread is I had the 'devour' idea like last week, but didn't post it here. How it would work would be that a Yuan-ti of level 1-10 could devour level 1 critters for food, receiving no exp, just to eat. Level 11-20, level 2 critters... etc...

Also, it would have to be size based, so if a 50 devours a bum in BG, they would be stunned for X number of game hours, unable to do anything.

Laddie

[This message has been edited by Laduguer (edited 07-03-2001).]
Wobb
Sojourner

Postby Wobb » Sat Jun 30, 2001 8:11 pm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by silvea:
[B]about being realistic... I think also sleep should added, no mage can mem spells or clerics pray for spells if they did not have they'r 8 hours sleep. Also a Warrior/thief can not stay awake for days in a row.

Are you freaking crazy? I'm not playing this game to live in an alternate reality...i don't have time to do that...i want to have some fun...not having any fun anymore when people want this to be their alternate reality...

as good a job as the staff has done making this place a viable alternate universe...i'm not interested in going to that level of reality....some people just dont have the time

Wobb
Grungar
Sojourner

Postby Grungar » Mon Jul 02, 2001 8:02 pm

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Booze. Many types of booze fill you up and make you less thirsty. Ale from Mithril Hall is a perfect example. Plus who doesn't love a drunk dwarf? When trolls eat us, they get a buzz, when we group with good races, we're entertaining. It's a win win situation.

- Grungar "Ah, yes, I'll take 5 barrels of ale to go please" Forgefire
silvea
Sojourner

Postby silvea » Tue Jul 03, 2001 7:14 am

wobb, have you ever learned the word sarcasm?

Postby Guest » Tue Jul 03, 2001 3:11 pm

(removed)

[This message has been edited by Laduguer (edited 07-03-2001).]

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”