Last crash bug fixed!

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Rivan
Sojourner

Last crash bug fixed!

Postby Rivan » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:49 pm

Congratz to the coders for fixing the last crash bugs (as stated in the news)!

But does anyone else see the inherent problem of no crashes? Like the 60 hour uptimes?

Let's face it, for most of us xp is pretty damn boring - zoning is the real challenge of Sojourn and it's why i like it so much. The harder fights, the huge groups, even the massive spanks. All to most zones are probably going to be fully completed within the first 24 hours - except maybe the really off-the-wall ones. I doubt i'm the only one who logs on, twiddles my fingers for a few minutes, then heads out.

I think crashes suck. So I'd like to propose the idea that all zones pop fresh after a 48 or 72 uptime (2-3 days) - or some variation on that. (like 48 hours after the last person exits the zone - but that could be problematic). I'm sure restrictions would have to be built in to avoid twinking - wouldn't be cool to take a group of 10 people and have them drop link right next to thrym for instance and skip all the gate guards - but I'm just laying a groundwork idea...

Rivan

P.S. Reboots are a pain in the ass sometimes too - for players and admins. Image

[This message has been edited by Rivan (edited 02-15-2002).]
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Fri Feb 15, 2002 9:54 pm

Yeah, I agree.
rylan
Sojourner

Postby rylan » Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:00 pm

I think the gods were looking at some sort of a zone reload type thing after the mud was been up for a while.
But anyway, you'd be surprised about the stuff that isn't done yet even with the 60 hour uptime.
Sylvos
Sojourner

Postby Sylvos » Fri Feb 15, 2002 10:38 pm

It's true Rylan. Granted the undone zones tend to be the ones with much less reward, but with a 45 hour uptime last night we did cave city. Yay Dartan for leading it. Image And the only death was a wandering well jumper :P

Sylvos
Thrand
Sojourner

Postby Thrand » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:34 pm

By the way props to me I caused the last crash that caused them to find the bug!
I rock woo!
Where's my arti ????

Ezza
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Fri Feb 15, 2002 11:41 pm

I just took a group to smite the purple worm and lo and behold after we killed him we discovered he had been done. I can't say ive had this problem in the past. Image

Corth
Gormal
Sojourner

Postby Gormal » Sat Feb 16, 2002 3:07 am

Heh at 60 hours I don't even try to zone...i'm not wasting 20minutes checking one zone...it can take you an hour just to find an undone zone you wanna do and then longer to gather the group.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:36 pm

Why not find those of us that have never zoned, or don't zone much, to do those zones? Be like that Big Brother/Big Sister thing, except without the threat of a lawsuit Image

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Tue Feb 19, 2002 5:58 pm

indeed.
torkur
Sojourner

Postby torkur » Tue Feb 19, 2002 10:39 pm

Teach people to lead the zones/rares/etc then instead of just doing them. It'd be much more interesting for the higher levels getting spanked more and the lower levels learning how to zone before level 45.....both of which people complain about constantly.....

Bob group-says 'What's a frost giant?'

Bob has left the group.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Wed Feb 20, 2002 1:41 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Taegost:
<B>Why not find those of us that have never zoned, or don't zone much, to do those zones? Be like that Big Brother/Big Sister thing, except without the threat of a lawsuit Image

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

get lvl 46+ and i'll be more than happy to Image
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:06 am

the unsolvable problem of sojourn 3.

folks wanna zone, but no one will take you if you under level 46. you're somewhat new to the game so you do xp non stop till you 46.

now you in jot and you run into rhemo. you'are a warrior. you keep rescuing but have no idea why folks are yelling at you. leader dumps you cause you're a moron and has someone gate you out.

the eternal catch 22 of sojourn

as the the original poster, this game as well as the MMORPG's that followed are catered to the hardcore players who put in 5-6 hours a day or more. that wont change, and in some games levelling is 10 times harder than in sojourn. if we are going to go for huge uptimes better have recyling zones or it'll be more of the rich getting richer and those of us who cant dedicate their life to the game being left behind and quitting.
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Wed Feb 20, 2002 9:20 am

Doing exp is NOT just getting levels.
It is also getting knowledge.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:42 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dalar:
get lvl 46+ and i'll be more than happy to Image</font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I can't even find someone that can tell me an area that has better xp for my level then buffs or BGR, and you expect me to make 46?? Image
But seriously, that right there is the problem, noone wants to help out lowbies, we're a waste of time.
Why?
We need more people like Moritheil on this MUD.
Mebbe I'll just start the Mori Fan Club, get more people to ascribe to his ideals and morals!

------------------
Taegost, The one and ONLY STUPER DRUID(tm)
Nida
Sojourner

Postby Nida » Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:49 pm

My Mori Fan Club card number is lower than yours. :P
sok
Sojourner

Postby sok » Wed Feb 20, 2002 8:38 pm

u know wat, i was a newbie too. when i started out no one took me by the hand and showed me the zones. i spended forever in the 20's when god's said no more wd xp. i lead groups to barbarian village to xp.

we would die more often then gain xp. dang tracking/assisting mobs. but u know wat i learn to lure them to a tent and close flap so non other can track in.

back then there were not as many zones as now. and even less zone design for xp. now there are tons of zones out there. hp/tf/bgr/xp zones/ic/etc. of course ic was already in when i was still a lowbie.

anyways, all i hear is u eliet folks just get more eq. u get mad at us (lowbie/newbie) for making mistakes. u lowbies need to learn to deal w/ having lowbie eq. why are u unhappy w/ +25 hp rings? u see high lvl folks w/ 50/60/75 hp rings, so that makes u inferior? u know wat it took me years to learn how to get those rings.

if u want to get those stuff, i'm not asking u to wait years. wat i'm asking u to do is gather a group and lead xp. lead xp in different places. lead xp in tf. this is how i learned tf, because i xp there. i learned bg because i xp there. i learn ic cuz i xp there. u get the point.

once u gain enuf lvl u can do smaller stuff. if u a goodie a good place is ud. when i was in mid-30s gather like 8 folks and do duergar settlement and some of kuo-toan. back when i was smaller dwarven scales was awesome. and having a mh hammer was WOW!. being in an area zone where mobs assist/rescue/etc will make u a better leader/zoner.

of course there are risk and the reward might not be as good or even sucky, if u base reward only on eq. i base reward in knowledge. knowing wat to do in different situations. i did duergar settlement tons b4 i ever did jot. but the knowledge i gain from settlement make me a better healer for jot. of course i got spanked in jot once or twice, which is the learning curve.

for folks who just criticize the leaders or the elites, why are you pointing the figure at other folk when obviously u are the one that needs to change. once you do "elites" perception of you will change.

tire of being criticize
sok
Ashiwi
Sojourner

Postby Ashiwi » Wed Feb 20, 2002 10:09 pm

Cheers to Sok!

Noob tells you, "level me"
You tell Noob, "You'll be doing yourself a bigger favor by finding a group about your size and learning your way around"
Noob tells you, "i was told i gotta go to so-and-so to do this quest, they said i need these parts, get/steal/twink/outright do it for me?"
You tell Noob, "When you can put together a group and fight that mob for it yourself, I'll help"
Noob tells you, "i need this item from that town, get it for me?"
You tell Noob, "You get to that town by traveling this direction down this road, be sure to watch out for this danger, good luck."

Actual event:
Noob tells you, "I need a GCD, got one for sale?"
You tell Noob, "I have a spare, but was hoping for trade, sorry."
Noob tells you, "man, it FU**ING SUCKS being new here, i have to have one!"
who noob
Noob - level 9 something
You tell Noob, "i was well over level 30 before I got my first GCD, and i was part of the group that did the mob for it, i'm sure you'll have one eventually, what are you wielding?" (digging through my inventory to see if I have anything that might be a help to him, even though I'm already pretty turned off by the attitude)
Noob tells you, "thin dark dagger, but i need a gcd, you won't sell yours?"
You tell Noob, "i'm really not ready to sell it at this time, sorry" (by this time it wasn't that i wasn't ready to sell it, there was no way i was going to just give this fellow my dagger)
Noob tells you, "come on, I'm begging! How the hell am I supposed to do anything without a decent weapon. This is stupid!"
You tell Noob, "better equipment will come with your levels, and if you have a thin dark, you're doing pretty good already, besides, i really don't respond well to begging"
Noob tells you, "does that mean your answer is no?"

I don't typically give away equipment to anybody who asks, if I have something to give away I check out the low levels around me and hand it over to somebody who looks like they can use it. I never give away high level equipment to a total newbie, not when I know people who have invested the time and energy into their characters, work hard at learning all they can, and can really put it to use. I give tons of equipment away to total newbies, don't get me wrong, just not the high end stuff. I started Ashiwi at the beginning of this wipe with the same nothing everybody else had, to have to listen to that because I wouldn't give up something I worked my butt off to get, not to mention hearing the thin dark dagger referred to as worthless when I would have given up various body parts to own it at one point, was lame.

I ended up giving away that GCD, and the fellow who got it deserved it. End rant.

[This message has been edited by Ashiwi (edited 02-20-2002).]
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Thu Feb 21, 2002 2:21 am

hehe ash i just dealt with something similiar a bit ago.

seems all the trolls just HAVE to have an ebony ls. it's the new beanie baby i guess. anyway here's my convo:

36Troll tells you 'sell your ebony?'
You tell 36Troll 'nah'
36Troll tells you 'i really need an ebony! i've done CC 4 times now and no one gives me the ebony'
*boggle 36 troll in cc..pause....boggle some more then...*
You tell 36Troll 'it took a LOT of CC trips before i got my ebony, and i didnt even get it IN CC. you'll get one eventually they are fairly common'
36Troll tells you 'but i need now! you sure you not sell yours i trade you all my weapons for it. 4 times in a zone is a lot they should have given it to me'

yadda yadda. that conversation has been repeated about 4 times now with diff trolls/ogres. what's funny guys is that in my time here on this game i've done CC more times than you've done zones as a total. Sok has done CC more times than i've zoned total. Took me this long to get one, you WILL get yours in time. Thankfully it wont take any of you as long as some of us.

how does any of this apply to the question at hand? there are a ton of new places to xp in, but none of them come close to getting you ready for zoning. too often i'll take a few unknowns to ship for xp to find t hem running off doing their own thing.

i dont fault any level 36 troll insisting he must have grey greens. 75% of the under 40 population of evils are alts and are decked out better than some folks primaries so there will be some jealousy.

but it's ALWAYS been this way. :P

sok rules and he speaky engrish gud!
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:14 am

I didn't have a proccer till level 46... and I still don't have grey-greens.

Cherzra "back in my days..."
Jegzed
Sojourner

Postby Jegzed » Thu Feb 21, 2002 9:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
<B>I didn't have a proccer till level 46... and I still don't have grey-greens.

Cherzra "back in my days..."</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why would you need grey-greens?

------------------
/Jegzed - Sorcere Master - Crimson Coalition
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Thu Feb 21, 2002 4:05 pm

first time around i had my first proccing weapon at 48. was always wieldig glimmerings when they rocked for damage so never considered a proc weapon till SF had the nerf bomb dropped on it.

who needs grey greens when you got those neat arms from clouds now. :P
Nokar
Sojourner

Postby Nokar » Thu Feb 21, 2002 8:59 pm

Well,
pre-pre-pre-wipe I was the first to wield kralgars axe. It didnt proc but had awesome dice and +hit/+dmg people always telling me You need this or that blah blah blah.. Sure I picked up a frosty (I had an axe fetish). I collected axes and thats -ALL- I used save fro a couple of times when I went zoning I forget who with but they insisted that I use their crypts mace and the other was some other proccing thinguhmujigger *shrug*. My point is I didnt have "Elite" gear I had damn good normal high end gear and a few quest items and didnt really do high level zones that much. But what I am seeing again and again is that too many people base their character on eq. Hell even I am guilty of it at times. But if I dont need something I sell it or give it away. Granted I am like the person who posted something about beggers. I dont like beggers they go on my ignore and shit list. I can remember the only artifact I ever wanted was Brog's axe. that was a badass mofo axe and one of a few I didnt have in my collection. I have never really cared much about artifacts and relics. It honestly doesn't matter much to me.
And as far as quests go.. I only help people who are absolutely stuck in the middle of a quest and can prove it.

As far as the original post topic. I feel that they should implement a random zone refresh. not every zone should refresh to many twinking possibilities. But to have a random zone out of the many high-level high-reward zones refresh after say like 24-48hrs of uptime. That way it is a guessing game and takes people time to figure it out. Hell thats the part I love most about Sojourn. Figuring shit out. I once knew EVERYTHING about BGR. and I didnt even start on that zone till I was in my UPPER 40's and lvl 50. yes I could solo everything out there save for a couple of mobs but I knew everyquest, every hidden room, every rareload everything. I spent months out there wandering. I also mastered everything in longhollow only missed a couple of the poison quests but found every stinking room and every stinking night and day only loading mob etc. but enough of my rambling on =P

I think it would be a worthwhile idea to figure out something about the long uptimes and refreshing zones.

L8r all,

------------------
I am the only one who can make the words "Ummm, guys?" strike fear into any group.

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”