mob a gates in mob b gates in mob c....

Archive of the Sojourn3 Gameplay Discussion Forum.
Grintor
Sojourner

mob a gates in mob b gates in mob c....

Postby Grintor » Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:27 am

ok fine, it's neat that you coders have mobs that gate in help that wipe out parties. neat.

why the fuck does the new help have to get in even MORE help?

you do realize that some of us have real lives? here it's near midnight, three hours into a fight i was told would only take an hour, and the god damned barbazu demons gate in devils, and the devils gate in more devils wiping us out.

if you continue to cater this game to ONLY the school kids and unemployed who can put in hours and hours and hours and hours and forego their responsibilities to get back the gear that took them 8 months to get, then that's all you'll have playing the game....3 day rot timer or not.
Jurdex
Sojourner

Postby Jurdex » Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:50 am

You believed someone when they said it would only take an hour?

Aren't you the guy who always brags about playing here for years?

mud time ! = real time

mud hour ! = real life hour ever, especially cr or whatever!

Dornax
Jurdex
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:08 am

what does how long i've played here have anything to do with anything?

when i started here i was late 20, in school, made my own hours at my part time job and could put asm uch time into the mud that i wanted. we are all much older now. it's taken since wipe to accumulate what i have on the mud, and to have it taken away because of 'cool code' is stupid.

it's a trend i've seen on the latest MMORPG's too. In dark age of camelot every level above level 40 takes 10 hours per level+ of non stop xp. these games cater to the hardcore gamer, and is the real root reason why you see folks selling and BUYING accounts.

the mud population is faltering. the new chars you see are just other folks alts. i only ask that the coders and area makers keep this in mind as more stuff is added that can make a routine 1-2 hours adventure into a total wipeout. we dont all have time to get our stuff back, and for some it only takes one major loss to turn them from the game completely.

[This message has been edited by Grintor (edited 03-03-2002).]
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:16 am

In Dungeons and Dragons, which may or may not affect the coder's decision when designing procs, a demon which is freshly summoned cannot use its own summon ability for an hour. As for your comment about how should how long you've played here matter: one would after a certain amount of playing on Sojourn know that things often last longer than they are 'supposed' to. Anytime someone tells me to join their group and I ask how long it will take, I usually multiply that number times three. There are all sorts of things that could happen to slow down the trip or downright halt it, entirely.

Yayaril
Kifle
Sojourner

Postby Kifle » Sun Mar 03, 2002 12:43 pm

Yeah, everybody knows if somebody says it will take an hour, and all you have is about an hour or an hour and a half you should turn them down...its just common sense.
vynigumba
Sojourner

Postby vynigumba » Sun Mar 03, 2002 2:05 pm

I have to agree with Grintor..
You start in school, you get addicted, you end school, you have real life commitment.. but you are still addicted. A lot of people stop, some come back now and then, some stick to it and have their real life ruined, some stick to it and identify their real life with thir character life (RP)...
Very few find a balance....

I guess grintor is right in saying that most of the new players are alternate characters, but advertising havent started yet. Anyway, I will doubt it will make much a difference if you are competing with more instant gratification games such as everquest and such.

Anyway, I kind of stop playing because my real life just doenst mix with it. In toril at least i was able to have some fun exp solo mobs and exploring around. Now, I spend hours looking for somebody to group with, hours forming the group.. and finally when we go somewhere (three hours later) well, I have to go.... Solo is not an option in this game.

Now,
when i try to do some exp mob, I die or takes forever...
When I explore, I die, and CR is hard.
When I zone, I die, multiple times.

At the end, I spend hours killing the same mob over and over (trophy is a joke..) than doing anything interesting.

The fear of death, keep me from playing.
The time of CR + the time of EXP back i believe is around 10 hours for death..
I just cannot stand that, I am an adult.

My suggestion: make death exp loss 0 and since there is inflation of equipment in the game (and this is not going to be better...) make death affect your equipment.
(not sure how , but you could lose one piece of it every time you die.. fair enough?)

At least is more fun to kill mobs replace your equip than for experience..

end of the story.
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:00 pm

Greets Neighbors,

I am one of the less important people who've played here since '94. I have always played, as my main, some form of goodie warrior. My comments are from that side. I am curious about the evils, but just do not have the energy to restart completely, with the dedication it would take, at the moment.

The game has always been a political game that I was able to rise above, before. When people smiled and hugged me to get me to help them get well, or some scale, or to level 41+ then turned around and treated me like the dime a dozen class I was, I could live with it. I had my -100 ac and some ability to go soloing like Vynigumba said.

Anymore, I am forced to face facts that because I got ressed in a zone when the group was phucked, and because of telling people when they made mistakes (which I appreciate knowing myself), my character is all but useless at 46. I can not get groups, I can not even go kill cats for more than 4 or 5 with master skills, -100 ac, and reasonable eq. now, because of the balancing. The joy of being able to log in without needing a ship group or zone (and i am being generic) is gone. If I simply want to chat with people, I have email and the multitude of messengers I can use.

Also, about the core group of mudders. There is a definite requirement of dedication to mud on Sojourn. Though I agree that most of the new players are people alts (anyone ever done a who 1-30 sort when theres been a reboot, before people get frustrated and login alts?), I don't see that improving even with advertising. Why would it? Except for Lilithelle who has blindly helped a number of my alts (and which I hope I have returned to others equally or more), and Todrael who is forever helping on the NHC, the mud is devoid of people actively helping. The best thing so far this time around, are the auctions. Awesome idea, and much appreciated by myself.

The real problem is the protecting against the twinks in the game. I am sorry, but I will never be able to be first to learning a zone, or figuring a way to solo a desired mob. I am the guy who logs in, chats to a few people, and wants to go slay for a bit. I think I am actually in the majority. I know "Game Balance" and all is the key here, but I am tired of it. Far as I am concerned, let people like Todrael, Gormal (and I apologize for just pulling names out of the air) who know the mud, know the classes, and who are the icons (least in my eyes) of "mud success" be able to solo (or twink if you have to be down on it) the mobs. I think too many people assume we all cringe that someone can get a piece of eq that is uber without a massive group. I could care less. How many of the masses really care? Are we designing for a mud of forty (40) or are we wanting the days of old with two hundred+ (200+) current connections?

Like Grintor says, Real World is important. Like many, my gf hates the mud. When that multiply by three (3) occurs, I am not happy. You can claim all you want that "we should know," but how many times has a zone group formed with plenty of time, only to be waylayed by "help me rq kill this rare" or "i just need this one item to be done, coming?" ... before zone even starts. I will not argue the point further, I think certain steps (Shaman gating to corpses, the long initial !rot timer, the disguise ability, etc is great for the right groups), but the simple point here is that from a simple standpoint, it is still just a game.

Though I can make 1k+p a day, buying my eq (which I have been forced to do, cept for Hildippie's generosity) is ridiculous. The fun lies in going out with a group and getting it. And such, your multiply by three (3) rule discards me from ever playing.

Also, the economic downturn has made my time all the more important, thus forced me to judge my free time accordingly. What I am finding, is that Grintor's situation is happening more and more. It's not like you can mud while writing an intense uP program, or study up on a piece of hardware while mudding. Time = Resources, and though it is "Free" to mud here, there is a cost associated which when graphed versus enjoyment does not enter the positive most times, anymore, for me.

Blah, ok I rambled, but my point is this. I was a happy full time nobody mudder till I realized all the effects to the new code and how much I was at the whim of individuals this game. The simple fact that any group HAS to have an enchanter or illusionist/shaman to go out doing anything exciting is blah. I have started an enchanter, he is tiny but before I get notes saying "so start an enchanter, wuss" I wanted to put that out there.

In short, I have no reason to support bringing anymore RL people to this mud, and am actually pulling the five (5) I brought initially, out. We are better served playing Destiny Warrior Three (just first one that popped into mind) for the kill/comraderie effect these days.

Thanks for listening to a disgruntled Barbie.

Downgrade Owom... oh wait, he is already a warrior on soj3... hmmm.

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:23 pm

I hate politics too, and have managed to stay mostly out of them.

But honestly, if you're a decent person, and have good skills, ask questions of the 'veteran' mudders, I don't see the issue. Perhaps that's just from my perspective, and I am in no way demeaning your viewpoints or experiences, I simply don't see them FIRSTHAND to the extent you folks are expressing.

Yes, the lack of small groups/soloing is detrimental to the overall value of the mud, and diversity of it's playerbase. But it's their game, they don't get paid to do it.

I never really had much time to mud until I got laid off. Heck, I still only mud about 3 hours a day on average, if that. I take days off to hang with friends, etc. I still have somewhat of a life. I still get groups. I think it's all about who you know, and who you prove yourself to.

I too, like to know when I fucked up. But the reality of it is, there are too many people on here that love to do that stuff in group-says and publicly, rather than in tells privately so the person doesn't get pissed. So those people that berate you publicly, humiliate and shame you, ruin the effect for those that like to constructively criticize.

Will that ever change? Sure, when the people finally mature and grow up. But that takes time, and in a game like this, you will always have children and adult-children. It's a fact, and if you can avoid most of it, kudos to you.

My point? Play the best you can, privately ask questions, and make friends. Don't kiss ass, don't beg, don't whine, and don't flame(I learned this one the hard way). If you can bypass those, and still express your opinions, you are golden.

If not, you probably still have some growing up to do.

If so, and you are still getting beaten down and on, you are hanging with the wrong crowd for you(which is not neccessarily the wrong crowd for the next guy/gal in line, mind you).

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-03-2002).]
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:25 pm

Holy Crow kids ..

It's a GAME!!

why not take your level 46 warrior and help people??

even as the littlest tiniest baby evil i have NEVER had trouble grouping ... i am not high on MAD SKILLZ .. but i do my job .. people rarely have to tell me twice how to react in a new zone .. maybe thats where i am strong .. i wont be a leader .. well maybe later .. but i am a GREAT follower .. and i learn my character and its strengths and weaknesses .. and i try to improve constantly

In my real life I am a Navy Sailor .. I am the supervisor of my shop .. I have 25 people working for me (rofl all male) .. i am the mom of two beautiful daughters and the wife of a butthead (cant have everything can we)

I think i balance mudding and RL extremely well (except for the zoning .. rofl NO hubby i CANT just log off).....if you can't balance the two you are too addicted for your own good sense ... god im rambling and too ansty to get a good thought across ...

/end rant

-Ambar/Telina/Shalia/Jenlia

btw my baby drow needs a second name .. any suggestions??
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Mar 03, 2002 3:43 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Croban/Owom:
<B>I have no reason to support bringing anymore RL people to this mud, and am actually pulling the five (5) I brought initially, out. We are better served playing Destiny Warrior Three (just first one that popped into mind) for the kill/comraderie effect these days.

</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

God what a whine. Gee things aren't handed to you on a silver platter? Still haven't done manscorpions? It's called longevity, having fun and goals for years to come. Can't get what you want in 1 day? Go on and play a game where you can be the uber master stacked lich death knight in two days playing. Good riddance.
Croban/Owom
Sojourner

Postby Croban/Owom » Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:02 pm

Greets Neighbors,

Before it goes too far, I do go out and help people. I do not help as much as some, and I help more than others. But really the only thing I can help with is showing people some exp zones, helping with stats on eq and starting characters, directions to/from places, and with twinking them some levels (I am pretty good at pleveling people). After a while (two (2) months now) of only doing that, my morale has fallen.

I am not one to ask people randomly for help, or to accept handouts (albeit Hildippie again). I also never bid or go after eq that some real main needs. I always keep track of who has helped me, and who has failed me. I never sell eq, I have feelings of guilt doing so remembering how it was to need the eq with no idea how to make platinum. I have not bid on Owom eq. in many groups. Check Agela for where my bids are going (a RL friend). She has the greatest chance of getting respect and groups. This has been my one hope, build up enough new people that are still blind to the dark sides of mud life here that I have that core group that works for me.

I have tried leading exp, and lil things (up to vault) with varying success. I do not expect to ever be a leader though for many reasons. Kudos to those that can take the pain.

My previous message was intended to point out how the long time playing nobody saw the world.

Malacar, I agree completely with you about the "wrong crowd" concept. Possibly my greatest mistake was accepting a group offer with one of the leets before my rescue skills were practiced up to my level - leading to a fairly poor attempt vs success rate. I am sure I got remembered for being a poor warrior from that group. The name is everything at high level for warriors.

I can code any action/trigger set. Have all the "right" code for what I am aware of (so far) in the mud, and an extremely fast connection (note my multiple g-say triggers getting off at tick time before others get there one), but it is the class/person that matters in this game. If the class is not needed, they either have to be RL friends, assoced, or a kiss ass to get into zones.

This is getting so far off topic. I knew most of the issues going into Owom, and looking back, I should have taken my own advice to the RL friends I brought. Do not play Warrior, Paladin, Ranger, Thief or Necromancer. Unfortunately, Owom was needed to bring the enchanter, cleric, etc. up to a level where someone would group them. Once again, my comments are from the general mudder perspective.

Another aside, I read Miax's post about the newbie help added to the mud, and I did want to add that I agree we have a very strong knowledge base, from both player and god, that at times has gone beyond the call of duty to improve the mud. I truly respect (and fear) the gods. I have not gotten past the memories of the old gods killing/banning continuously yet enough to talk to the gods, but am sure glad they are there.

All in all, I do not intend any harm from my postings. I intentionally did not put people's names in these (unless I meant a compliment or clarification), and I admire Miax and the gods for their work. As always, I am just spouting from the standpoint of one of the hack-and-slash guys with 29 days ptime on main.

Downgrade Owom... oh wait, he is already a warrior on soj3... hmmm.

------------------
- Owom Spiritbear -
muma
Sojourner

Postby muma » Sun Mar 03, 2002 4:46 pm

owom,

i think u r pretty awesome cos when i was a newbie u helped me out, and u were nice in general (with ur pally). ur friend dibble too. anyways, i think u have some good points. Image

grintor,

agreed, stuff does take a bit long here on sojourn, and that is why i prefer to solo (if u want to solo too, start a enchanter/shaman/elementalist/illusionist/(anti)paladin/necromancer/cleric and prolly a troll warrior cos they regen Image ) i've seen Dark age of camelot it's a pretty cool game. a friend of a friend is gonna have me level up his chars. and stuff hehe, but hopefully my computer will be fast enuff for it (400 mhz here) We'll see if i enjoy the game meself tho.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Sun Mar 03, 2002 7:47 pm

hrm, i think we've gotten way off topic here.

we had a group that could smite most antying you throw at it last night. besides some confusion about who's healing who on the first spank, the second spank should not have happened on one rather lowbie mob in avernus. it gated in three devils, then the very next round all those devils gated in one to two more.....insta spank.

instant spanks are not productive, period. i've done this last part of ress quest in an hour and a half many times, 4 hours is dumb when it's because of something stupid like this.

it's basically like playing everquest or dark age of camelot and having a gang of 6 mobs on your group and having no mezz...that's always spankage.

as for what everyone else went off on....i didnt read it :P

would appreciate it if all further comments were about how code like this may force you as a player to leave the game, because the sheer amount of time is not acceptable....or how you disagree with that assessment. start a new thread for anything else. thanks.
cherzra
Sojourner

Postby cherzra » Sun Mar 03, 2002 8:50 pm

You should make a good assessment on what you're about to do, if you don't have more than x hours.

Zones like tf and jot, you can gate out whenever you have to go. Chance of spank is small, and CR is pretty easy.

Zones like seer kings, you can't gate out of, or it's hard to get to and takes time. Committing to this zone when you have a time limit, is not smart. Chance of spank and painful CR is present.

Zones like avernus, you can't gate out of, and everyone knows that demons summon demons who summon demons (albeit with a much reduced likelihood), so the chance of spank is ever-present. Never, ever commit to a zone like this when you have a time limit.
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Sun Mar 03, 2002 9:08 pm

Grintor, have you ever read the sign in the Tower of Screams? I think you should do that every time before you enter Avernus. Not many zones have a disclaimer on difficulty.

-Todrael

[This message has been edited by Todrael (edited 03-03-2002).]
Dezzex
Sojourner

Postby Dezzex » Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:02 pm

Cherz /Tod are right, some zones are just going to be off-bounds for the non-hardcore players who don't have the time. Only thing left to do really is realize which is which and accept it at that.

However, as for the issue of mob gating.. the problem as I see it is this. The fight is either (1) easy, if no gates occur (2) really difficult, if many gates occur.

The result is that you must bring a fully-decked group to prevent (2). But if (2) doesn't happen, you are left with (1) and it's a yawn-fest.

Take the Kri'ik fight... first couple times I did we were lucky... I had the fortune of leading only 9 people there and winning without much hassle. Next couple times I did it I discovered the true horror: 6 extra gates one fight, 11 extra demons another. The 11 spanked a decked group of 15. Case in point. Maybe just a little consistency is in order? I'm certainly ready to accept it as a feature of the game (because it is), but some people don't enjoy being spanked due to luck of the draw.
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Sun Mar 03, 2002 11:17 pm

First off, I don't care much for gated demons being able to gate in more help for the reason Yaya described. Otherwise every mentally unbalanced wizard in the realms that has ever tried to summon a demon or devil would wind up unleashing an army of lower plane denizens just by bringing one of them onto the prime material plane. I just get a mental image similar to a teenager throwing a party when their parents aren't home, then their friends call all their friends telling about it, then the friends of the friends telling their friends about it, and the effect just snowballing Image

Tar'qwuarit the festering tells you 'Dude, Nali'sentrathu of the many maws is having a party this Saturday. Hey, see if you can get Throkmalenfor the thrice damned to come, he'd sure liven the place up!'

That said, Sojourn is a game. It may be free, it may be text based, it may be online only, but it's still very similar to any other game available. As such, there will probably always be a division between the hardcore gamers and the more casual players. It's ALWAYS like that in gaming. You'll have the people who will chip away at Half-Life/Medal of Honor/Starcraft/Diablo/etc. over the cource of a month or more, and the people who will finish the single player mode within 2 weeks without much difficulty and then move onto multiplayer or mods. The division is even clearer in RPGs due to the length of time that needs to be invested in them. Not only must you go through the game itself, but there are often many rules that you need to learn in order to play well. Baldur's Gate 2 took several months to finish for many people and was often extremely difficult in certain points for them. I went through almost every side quest in the game and finished it in under a month without any real difficulty and wound up being surprised to find people still plugging away at it 3 months after release (in a bbs full of longtime gamers). BG2 was a game that was more tailored for the hardcore gamer. So are computer RPGs in general. Despite that, a lot of casual gamers had fun with BG2 even if it took them longer to get through it. People without as much time to play it had to invest their time more carefully, but those that did were rewarded for it.

Compare that with a game that's been diluted to suit the crowd that doesn't want to invest that kind of time. Take a look at the games based on Who Wants to be a Millionaire or Survivor. Better yet, save yourself some agony and don't. They basically result in shallow, repetitive, and uninteresting games that lots of people avoid like the plague. When you design a game for the casual player and don't keep the more serious gamer in mind, the end result tends to be rather bland for both. After all, there are A LOT of other muds out there that have much easier rates of progression, but lack a lot of qualities that Sojourn has.

As for many of the players now having to balance mudding with life in general, that's life. A LOT of people find themselves without time to play games once they get out into the real world. How many people that are out of college do you know that own a Playstation 2, X-box, Dreamcast, Gamecube, or PC with a processor faster than 1000 Mhz and a GeForce 3 or Ati Radeon 8500 graphics card for themselves and not for any kids? How many people that are out of college do you know that don't have any of those things? Such a question asked on a bbs dedicated to a game is obviously going to have skewed results, but it illustrates a point that many people stop playing games as they get older. Some stop before they reach their teenage years, others hold out longer. And a lot don't stop at all, they just learn to deal with the reduced amount of time to devote on their end. They don't write letters to id/Interplay/Electronic Arts/Infogrames/Blizzard/etc. about how their games are too long or difficult. They just find out how to make a place for games in the free time they also use for TV, movies, reading, and other hobbies.

/rant off

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."
Corth
Sojourner

Postby Corth » Mon Mar 04, 2002 12:30 am

Just though Id add my 2 coppers even though its not exactly on topic.

From a gameplay perspective, demons gating in more demons suck. Basically what happens is that you need to bring a big group to do a zone like MD or Avernus. Most of the time, its overkill and boring for such a large group. But you need to bring this group because 2-3 times you'll have demons gated in and it becomes a hard fight. I'd rather have it uniformly difficult so that its exciting for everyone all the time, than mostly easy and then once in a while difficult.

Corth
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:52 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cherzra:
God what a whine. Gee things aren't handed to you on a silver platter? Still haven't done manscorpions? It's called longevity, having fun and goals for years to come. Can't get what you want in 1 day? Go on and play a game where you can be the uber master stacked lich death knight in two days playing. Good riddance. </font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Cherzra, I don't often think this, but you, my friend, are way out of line.

Owom asks not that he have 40/45 hit/dam, not that he can solo the ice bear boot quest, but that he feel USEFUL. That he not be ignored and treated like so much trash. And your response is to ignore his well thought post and talk about random wankers who want to 0wn all in a day? Non sequitur. I agree with you, noone should 0wn all - but I agree with him too, master warriors should not be forced to sit on their hands just because they said a rash word in haste.

Is it a wonder that not that many people play on to 45+? I've seen lots of n00bs, actually. Quite often they complain that they feel outcompeted by the folks who have been here for 8 years and know all. Or that they are afraid - AFRAID - to offend someone high and mighty. And that makes it less enjoyable. And even less 3nj0yable.
===
On the other half: gated demons have reduced chance to gate again. It looks like yours was the one in 64 or so? chance of multiple series gating actually happening.
moritheil
Sojourner

Postby moritheil » Mon Mar 04, 2002 1:55 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Treladian:
<B>Tar'qwuarit the festering tells you 'Dude, Nali'sentrathu of the many maws is having a party this Saturday. Hey, see if you can get Throkmalenfor the thrice damned to come, he'd sure liven the place up!'

Readers, quote this or die.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:08 am

there are only two reasons i went last night

1) sok is my friend, and i'll do whatever it takes to help him

2) the leader had the entire group convinced it would only take an hour.

i was in xp group with the leader, also with krolb and gyrx alts. the leader insisted it only take an hour and a half to take care of it and was very very persistent....very persistent.

it's impossible to please everybody, so i tried to please my friend. i've only done avernus twice now counting this and having gone with this leader before he's usually pretty accurate with his time assessments...usually.

however gating in more and more is still stupid! :P

what just occured to me is that are you guys telling me that those players who can only put in 2-3 hours a day never going to see the time of day in a zone? just curious.
Wargo
Sojourner

Postby Wargo » Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:26 am

heheh I believe I know which leader you are talking about and I know there is no way 1 hour is a good estimate. What you were doing in Avernus is trying to find a needle in a haystack. Even if you got lucky, 1 hour is a very optimistic minimum. If you are under a time constraint, you can zone but avoid the hardcore areas. Friends or not, if you are whining now you made a mistake then.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Mon Mar 04, 2002 3:31 am

ok can we get off the 'whining' and 'time' posts now and concentrate on the original topic which is mobs that gate in and the gated mobs then gating again sucks ass?

thanks

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:25 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Grintor:
<B>ok can we get off the 'whining' and 'time' posts now and concentrate on the original topic which is mobs that gate in and the gated mobs then gating again sucks ass?

thanks</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Gated mobs shouldn't be gating in other mobs. Could you email me a log showing me where they are?
Todrael
Sojourner

Postby Todrael » Mon Mar 04, 2002 4:35 am

Heh, it happens virtually every time we fight demons. I thought it was a feature, not a bug Image I'm sure I have tons of logs of it, but I don't have access to my comp for a while, so I can't post them Image someone else who logs avernus trips should be able to come up with some. Or even mobs like the balor in jot, or succubus on the planes..

-Todrael
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:36 am

i didnt log it sorry kia...

however we all went back and reviewed it after second spank. barbazu demon gated in abishae devils, the very next round the abishae devils gated in lemure devils - on each. so was 6 demons off that one barbazu.

could send in your mortal and test it Image
kiryan
Sojourner

Postby kiryan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:52 am

along the same lines, downgrade ress quest, or are full time gamers the only clerics that deserve ress?

I spent 40+ hours idling in avernus after one of those 1 hour trips. I did participate on 3 or so trips where we did finish getting ress in an hour. I totally agree with yaya that we need an arena portal at the garden.

i think some of you need to manage your desire to be lewt in addition to your time. Your prolly not going to be as lewt as the 8 year veteran after playing one year (even if its 16 hours a day). For those of you that cant manage your time or your envy, go play something that fits your personality better, diablo perhaps.

As for this place being newbie unfriendly, well a lot has been done to make it more friendly. 1-45 exp was lessened by 10%, unclassed mobs give more exp now, most classes are viable in a group even if they dont belong in a perfect group. Corpses get a 48 hour inital rot timer, there is a newbie help channel, newbie ares (could use some work but hey they exist), and prolly tons of shit im not mentioning. This place has come a long ways.

I played on my friends nightmare lib recently, talk about newbie unfriendly, to advance past level 5/10/15 you have to complete a bunch of quests. The quests are obscure and usually in room whose entrances are difficult to find. Not to mention 6 out of the first 8 quests are ones that a paladin has to give you shit for you to do and giving away quest information is strictly against the rules. Now thats unfriendly.

A few things I can think of to make this place even friendlier would be put some blunt pointed language in the character roller so no one rolls a dualing drow elf warrior and think he is going to own anything bigger than a buff at 50. Figure out some way to help level 1-5 mages level (magic missile doesnt do shit for damage especially when it fails to hit the target or aborts). Do one of those dont lose exp pre level x things or scale exp loss up with level so that its minimal at the lower levels but is normal once you get up to around level 30.

I dont like to see people leave the game but i dont like to see people miserable either. Im not stupid enough to think that people or things can change, if you dont fit you dont fit. Go find a game that makes you happy, if its love hate, figure out which parts you love which parts you hate and avoid the parts you hate (!teleport zones, leaders that handout, ultrablasting mobs, dragons, rares, ect...).

Finally, think about what some of you are saying. The mud made me stay up past my bed time on a work night. The mud makes me unhappy. You are making all the decisions here and you are making yourself unhappy. The mud isnt doing it to you.
Karikhan
Sojourner

Postby Karikhan » Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:53 am

You know what we were all true newbies at one time (unless a RL friend brought you here ...)

and we all *survived* .. and we all leveled up after wipes... why can't others???

remember when soj2 fell and we all were running around in HUGE groups to kill the seasoned warriors?? Well we did it!!!

Soj3 is what it is because of it's intricacies and the YEARS it has taken to build ...

-Just my 2 coppers

-Jen

Postby Guest » Mon Mar 04, 2002 2:31 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kiryan:
<B>along the same lines, downgrade ress quest, or are full time gamers the only clerics that deserve ress?

for the love of god, give up already. it's not going to happen in your lifetime.

as far as gated mobs, unless something was accidentally nuked recently, gated mobs should NOT be gating in other mobs (they haven't been able to do that for a loooooong time - since about a week after the gating code went in, actually). someone will double-check the code tonight to make sure that's the case, but in the meantime if anybody has a log, that'd be helpful.

--D2
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Mon Mar 04, 2002 6:17 pm

I have a log back at home, I'll see if I can send it up.

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
Gort
Sojourner

Postby Gort » Mon Mar 04, 2002 7:50 pm

Nice to see that in spite of the tangents, and detours, that demongate is being looked into.

Extra Extra, read all about it, Demongate Scandal to be quashed by the Gods! Extra Extra!

Toplack *in a silly mood and it shows* Frostbear
Tesil
Sojourner

Postby Tesil » Mon Mar 04, 2002 8:19 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by D2:
<B> for the love of god, give up already. it's not going to happen in your lifetime.

That's funny...cause I recall it was made easier so that a few people could get it, then put back to the original quest. Hrrmmm.
rachaz
Sojourner

Postby rachaz » Mon Mar 04, 2002 9:47 pm

One small point I would like to make is that you do not HAVE to put in hardcore hours every day to play this game. You can exp for an hour a day. You will not level quickly but that is your time limitations. This game is not planning on wiping anymore. Take your time and learn to play your class while you exp instead of rushing through it. As you learn all the intricate details, you will become better at soloing/exploring.

When it comes to zoning, you do need to make a time commitment. There is no way around this. 5 minutes of time should not get you a good item. I suggest setting aside some mud time on the weekends. Maybe saturday afternoon when you can zone. Like above, you will not get the best eq in the game in a month or two but eventually you will get there.

This game is one of the few games that you can not win. There is no powerup to win the game (Cliff Yablonski hates us). You can not judge yourself by other people. Because I have my enchanted spoon of elfslaying does not mean that you need one too. Plan on getting one eventually. It will give you something to look foreward to. As Cherzra said, this game is about longevity. I don't compate my kit to Cherzras and he doesn't compare his to mine.

That being said, I have a few suggestions to those who have limited time.

1. Get 50 on your character. 46 is good but if you feel like mudding and chatting, do exp for an hour while you chat. You will be that much more helpful in a zone with higher level.

2. Do some quests. I know several people that have certain quest items without ever going to the zones that contain their components. Many quests in this game have a great reward and you can do them over time. I might suggest putting in that hour you have online trying to figure out what the next step is.

3. Do something small. I remember many small groups just heading out to do BG eq or the like. If you don't need this eq, give it to a newbie. If helping newbies is not your thing sell it and put that money towards quest items then see number 2.

All this being said, I can only say enjoy the time that you do spend on the mud. If you get to a point where that 1 hour you spend is a chore and not fun, maybe you are surrounding yourself with the wrong people. We all have our niche in the game but sometimes, we try to fit square pegs into round holes. Talk to people. Choose your friends.

Rachaz
Yayaril
Sojourner

Postby Yayaril » Mon Mar 04, 2002 11:02 pm

Today in Myth Drannor, an abishai that a barbazu gated in then gated in a lemure. I wish I had kept the log, but my ZMud sucks and doesn't like scrolling back so I can copy things. We'll probably be going back there soon so I can capture an instance of it.

Yayaril
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:08 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Yayaril:
<B>Today in Myth Drannor, an abishai that a barbazu gated in then gated in a lemure. I wish I had kept the log, but my ZMud sucks and doesn't like scrolling back so I can copy things. We'll probably be going back there soon so I can capture an instance of it.

Yayaril</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'll vouch for that. Also in avernus Barbazu patrolmen can summon 3 abishai and one of those 3 abishai can summon 3 lemures each. Since they have like 80% MR you basically have to kill it with melee damage.
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 12:15 am

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tesil:
<B> That's funny...cause I recall it was made easier so that a few people could get it, then put back to the original quest. Hrrmmm.

After the res quest was set back to the original quest, people began bitching again about how hard the original quest is. From what I remember, the res quest was only downgraded for a month so people could actually have res during the zones that you needed to do to grab quest items. Since then they've done the opposite and upgraded res quest by making SF much more.... fun.
Grintor
Sojourner

Postby Grintor » Tue Mar 05, 2002 3:17 am

thanks to the imms for looking into this.

as for everyone else, playing a chanter and having arthritis is fucking hard, therefore my time is limited for no other reason than the searing hot pain in my left hand and fingers. i'm sure there are others in my age group who have developed at the very least carpal tunnel, so our time is LIMITED. i dont think i'll go back to avernus or any other zone that i cant leave at the drop of a hat if my arthritis flames up or if someone rushes in and says 'the warriors made the playoffs!' (feh, yeah right on that last one heh)
Dalar
Sojourner

Postby Dalar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:46 am

Ebgar group-says 'teleport'
< 782h/805H 128p/128P 126v/127V T: Dartan TC: few scratches E: nupperibo EC: excellent P:std> l
The Barren Wastelands
Room size: Huge (L:100 ft W:100 ft H:100 ft)
Exits: -N -E -S -W
Retark (Human) stands in mid-air here.
You sense a lifeform nearby.
Hatan (RP) (Human) stands in mid-air here.
Poopil (Gnome) stands in mid-air here.
Ebgar (RP) (Dwarf) stands in mid-air here.
Kezlor (Barbarian) stands in mid-air here.
Gordex (Human) stands in mid-air here.
Nelor (RP) (Barbarian) stands in mid-air here.
Koric (Dwarf) stands in mid-air here.
Xebes (Human) stands in mid-air here.
Glorishan (Grey Elf) stands in mid-air here.
Corth (Human) stands in mid-air here.
A nupperibo stands in mid-air here, fighting YOU!(Red Aura)
< 782h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: few scratches E: nupperibo EC: excellent P:std>
You attack a nupperibo, landing a single hit.
A nupperibo attacks you, landing a single hit.
You are rescued by Nelor, you are confused, but grateful!
< 679h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> scan

gsa make me
A red abishai sergeant flies in from the south.
A black abishai patrol flies in from the south.
A green abishai patrolman flies in from the south.
A black abishai patrol flies in from the south.
< 680h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std>
A red abishai sergeant pummels Retark.
Koric attacks a nupperibo, landing two hits.
A red abishai sergeant attacks Retark, landing two hits.
Nelor slashes a nupperibo.
Nelor defends against two attacks from a nupperibo.
Nelor attacks a nupperibo, landing two hits.
You scan north...
Along the River Styx
Room size: Very large (L:80 ft W:40 ft H:500 ft)
Exits: -E -S -W

You scan east...
The Barren Wastelands

You scan south...
The Barren Wastelands

You scan west...
The Barren Wastelands
< 680h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> l
You group-say 'make me'
< 680h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> The Barren Wastelands
Huge puddles of blood cover the ground.
A black abishai patrol is following its master.(Red Aura)
A green abishai patrolman is here, following its superior.(Red Aura)
A red abishai sergeant stands in mid-air here, fighting Retark.(Red Aura)
Retark (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a red abishai sergeant.
Nelor (RP) (Barbarian) stands in mid-air here, fighting a nupperibo.
Koric (Dwarf) stands in mid-air here, fighting a nupperibo.
Corth (Human) stands in mid-air here.
A nupperibo stands in mid-air here, fighting Nelor.(Red Aura)
< 680h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> gsa fuck
You group-say 'fuck'
Ebgar says 'FULL HEALING ----->>>> retark'
Ebgar starts casting a spell.
< 680h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> cas 'stone' retark

Hatan group-says 'ack'
< 680h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> You start chanting...
Nelor heroically rescues Retark.
A black abishai patrol says 'I must assist my friend!'
A black abishai patrol pummels Nelor.
Nelor barely slashes a black abishai patrol.
A black abishai patrol attacks Nelor, landing a single hit.
Nelor defends against an attack from a black abishai patrol.
A red abishai sergeant attacks Nelor, landing two hits.
Nelor defends against an attack from a red abishai sergeant.
Nelor attacks a nupperibo, landing a single hit.
Corth group-says 'rutro'
A green abishai patrolman says 'I must assist my friend!'
A green abishai patrolman pummels Nelor very hard.
< 681h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std>
Casting: stone skin *
Hatan starts casting an offensive spell called 'glitterdust'.
Casting: stone skin
You complete your spell...
Retark's skin seems to turn to stone.
< 681h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> cas 'stone' nelor

Ebgar completes his spell...
Ebgar utters the words, 'full heal'
Ebgar does a full heal on Retark.
It's really, really hot here. A slight breeze would really improve things.
A black abishai patrol pummels Nelor very hard.
Corth starts casting an offensive spell.
A red abishai sergeant pummels Corth hard.
A black abishai patrol attacks Nelor, landing three hits.
A green abishai patrolman attacks Nelor, landing two hits.
Nelor defends against an attack from a green abishai patrolman.
A black abishai patrol attacks Nelor, landing two hits.
Nelor defends against an attack from a black abishai patrol.
A red abishai sergeant attacks Nelor, landing two hits.
Nelor defends against an attack from a red abishai sergeant.
A nupperibo attacks Nelor, landing a single hit.
Nelor defends against an attack from a nupperibo.
Nelor attacks a nupperibo, landing two hits.
< 681h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> You start chanting...
Hatan completes his spell...
Hatan utters the words, 'glitterdust'
A cloud of glittering dust expands outwards from Hatan, filling the room.
The spell cast by Hatan harmlessly evaporates around a black abishai patrol.
The spell cast by Hatan harmlessly evaporates around a red abishai sergeant.
Nelor panics, and attempts to flee.
Nelor flies north.
Nobody here by that name.
You abort your prayer before its done!
Corth completes his spell...
Corth utters the words, 'gpaeax yrjn'
Corth creates a massive shadow flux around a black abishai patrol!
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std>
Ebgar says 'FULL HEALING ----->>>> nelor'
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> shout MOMMY!
You shout 'MOMMY!'
gorup
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> Pardon?
Corth group-says 'black abishai patrol! is fluxed.'
A black abishai patrol pummels Corth hard.
Retark assists Koric heroically.
Retark barely crushes a nupperibo.
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> gsa hahaha n00b nelor!
A green abishai patrolman says 'I must assist my friend!'
Corth staggers from a fearsome pummel from a green abishai patrolman!
You group-say 'hahaha n00b nelor!'
Koric heroically rescues Corth.
l
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> The Barren Wastelands
A green abishai patrolman stands in mid-air here, fighting Koric.(Red Aura)
A black abishai patrol stands in mid-air here, fighting Corth.(Red Aura)
A red abishai sergeant stands in mid-air here, fighting Corth.(Red Aura)
Retark (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a nupperibo.
Corth (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a red abishai sergeant.
A nupperibo stands in mid-air here, fighting Koric.(Red Aura)
cas 'stone' corth
Corth group-says 'bad bad bad'
A green abishai patrolman attacks Koric, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against two attacks from a green abishai patrolman.
With an arcane motion of its hand, a black abishai patrol gates in a lemure devil!
A lemure devil now follows a black abishai patrol.
With an arcane motion of its hand, a black abishai patrol gates in a lemure devil!
A lemure devil now follows a black abishai patrol.
A black abishai patrol attacks Corth, landing two hits.
A nupperibo attacks Koric, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against an attack from a nupperibo.
A red abishai sergeant attacks Corth, landing three hits.
Xebes starts casting a spell.
Hatan starts casting a spell.
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std> You start chanting...
A lemure devil misses you with its pummel.
A lemure devil pummels Xebes hard.
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
With an arcane motion of its hand, a black abishai patrol gates in an abishai devil!
An abishai devil now follows a black abishai patrol.
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
An abishai devil pummels Poopil hard.
Retark starts casting an offensive spell called 'force missiles'.
Xebes completes his spell...
Xebes utters the words, 'stone skin'
Koric's skin seems to turn to stone.
Hatan utters the words, 'stone skin'
Corth's skin seems to turn to stone.
Corth's skin is already hard as a rock!
Koric heroically rescues Poopil.
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> cas 'stone' me

Koric defends against three attacks from an abishai devil.
A black abishai patrol attacks Corth, landing two hits.
A lemure devil attacks Xebes, landing two hits.
You defend against an attack from a lemure devil.
Koric barely slashes a green abishai patrolman.
Koric defends against two attacks from a green abishai patrolman.
A green abishai patrolman switches targets..
A black abishai patrol attacks Corth, landing three hits.
A red abishai sergeant attacks Corth, landing three hits.
Corth panics, and attempts to flee.
Corth flies north.
Gordex flies north.
Kezlor flies north.
Poopil flies north.
Hatan starts casting a spell.
Ebgar says 'FULL HEALING ----->>>> corth'
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> You start chanting...
A black abishai patrol pummels Xebes hard.
Koric heroically rescues Xebes.
< 684h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Xebes's skin seems to turn to stone.
Xebes starts casting a spell called 'stone skin'.
< 684h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
You feel your skin harden to stone.
Koric barely slashes a lemure devil.
Koric defends against an attack from a lemure devil.
A black abishai patrol attacks Xebes, landing two hits.
A green abishai patrolman attacks Ebgar, landing two hits.
Koric barely slashes an abishai devil.
An abishai devil attacks Koric, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against an attack from an abishai devil.
An abishai devil switches targets..
A lemure devil attacks you, landing a single hit.
Koric's longsword glows dark and bites
into a nupperibo's neck.
A nupperibo seems to be blinded!
Koric attacks a nupperibo, landing a single hit.
Ebgar gets a heavy tankard made of pewter from his large bag sewn from dragon-gut.
Retark completes his spell...
Retark utters the words, 'force missiles'
The spell cast by Retark harmlessly evaporates around a nupperibo.
Retark fires three force missiles into a nupperibo.
Ebgar says 'FULL HEALING ----->>>> xebes'
Ebgar starts casting a spell.
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> petition heh watch this kia!
l

< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> You petition 'heh watch this kia!'
If you do not get a response, it's because the staff are busy or unavailable.
Retark starts casting an offensive spell called 'minute meteors'.
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> The Barren Wastelands
An abishai devil stands here, fighting YOU!(Red Aura)
A lemure devil stands here, fighting Koric.(Red Aura)
A lemure devil stands here, fighting YOU!(Red Aura)
A green abishai patrolman stands in mid-air here, fighting Ebgar.(Red Aura)
A black abishai patrol stands in mid-air here, fighting Xebes.(Red Aura)
A red abishai sergeant is here, patrolling Darkspine.(Red Aura)
Retark (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a nupperibo.
Hatan (RP) (Human) sits in mid-air here, fighting a lemure devil.
Ebgar (RP) (Dwarf) stands in mid-air here, fighting a green abishai patrolman.
Xebes (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a black abishai patrol.
A nupperibo stands in mid-air here, fighting Koric.(Red Aura)
< 683h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> cas 'group h'

A black abishai patrol barely pummels you.
< 682h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
A black abishai patrol attacks you, landing a single hit.
An abishai devil attacks you, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against three attacks from a lemure devil.
A black abishai patrol attacks Xebes, landing three hits.
A green abishai patrolman attacks Ebgar, landing three hits.
A lemure devil attacks you, landing two hits.
Koric futilely tries to rescue Ebgar!
< 678h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Retark stops invoking abruptly!
< 678h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Ebgar does a full heal on Xebes.
< 679h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Someone says 'I must assist my friend!'
< 679h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: small wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
l
Ebgar's skin seems to turn to stone.
Someone attacks a lemure devil, landing two hits.
Your flesh loses its stony texture.
A black abishai patrol attacks you, landing two hits.
Your skin crawls as you hear a death cry nearby!
Nelor has left the group.
An abishai devil attacks you, landing a single hit.
Ebgar attacks a green abishai patrolman, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against two attacks from a lemure devil.
A lemure devil switches targets..
A nupperibo is mortally wounded, and will die soon, if not aided.
A nupperibo slumps to the ground.
Koric neatly beheads a nupperibo.
a nupperibo is dead! R.I.P.
A nupperibo slumps to the ground.
You receive your share of experience.
Your blood freezes as you hear the rattling death cry of a nupperibo.
< 460h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: few wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit> sc

Hatan clambers to his feet.
< 460h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: few wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit>
You are rescued by Koric!
Hatan starts casting an offensive spell called 'glitterdust'.
< 460h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: few wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit>
sc
A red abishai sergeant flies north.
< 460h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: few wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit> st
cas 'stone' me

With an arcane motion of its hand, an abishai devil gates in a lemure devil!
A lemure devil now follows an abishai devil.
Koric defends against an attack from an abishai devil.
An abishai devil switches targets..
Koric attacks an abishai devil, landing two hits.
A lemure devil defends against an attack from someone.
A black abishai patrol attacks you, landing three hits.
Retark clambers to his feet.
< 259h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: nasty wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit>
Hatan utters the words, 'glitterdust'
A cloud of glittering dust expands outwards from Hatan, filling the room.
The spell cast by Hatan harmlessly evaporates around a lemure devil.
The spell cast by Hatan harmlessly evaporates around an abishai devil.
A lemure devil is blinded by the reflective particles!
The spell cast by Hatan harmlessly evaporates around a green abishai patrolman.
The spell cast by Hatan harmlessly evaporates around a black abishai patrol.
A lemure devil barely pummels Retark.
< 259h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: nasty wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit>
Xebes utters the words, 'brjf'
Koric's form becomes blurred and difficult to make out!
A lemure devil barely pummels Retark.
Retark starts casting an offensive spell called 'minute meteors'.
Corth group-says '-=Stone Out=-'
Retark completes his spell...
Retark utters the words, 'minute meteors'
The spell cast by Retark harmlessly evaporates around a lemure devil.
Retark fires five minute meteors into a lemure devil.
Koric heroically rescues Xebes.
Ebgar says 'FULL HEALING ----->>>> Ebgar'
Hatan group-says 'A lemure devil is blinded by dust'
Ebgar starts casting a spell called 'full heal'.
Xebes starts casting a spell called 'stone skin'.
Hatan starts casting a spell called 'stone skin'.
< 259h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: nasty wounds E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit> A black abishai patrol attacks Koric, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against two attacks from a black abishai patrol.
A lemure devil attacks Retark, landing three hits.
Retark attacks a lemure devil, landing a single hit.
A lemure devil attacks Retark, landing three hits.
An abishai devil attacks Ebgar, landing three hits.
A black abishai patrol attacks you, landing two hits.
You can't do this sitting!
< 80h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit> The Barren Wastelands
Corpse of a nupperibo is lying here.
A lemure devil stands here, fighting Retark.(Red Aura)
A lemure devil stands here, fighting Retark.(Red Aura)
An abishai devil stands here, fighting Ebgar.(Red Aura)
A black abishai patrol stands in mid-air here, fighting YOU!(Red Aura)
A green abishai patrolman stands in mid-air here, fighting Ebgar.(Red Aura)
A black abishai patrol stands in mid-air here, fighting Koric.(Red Aura)
Retark (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a lemure devil.
Hatan (RP) (Human) stands in mid-air here, fighting a lemure devil.
Ebgar (RP) (Dwarf) stands in mid-air here, fighting a green abishai patrolman.
Koric (Dwarf) stands in mid-air here, fighting an abishai devil.
< 80h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit>
Score information for Dartan

Level: 50 Race: Barbarian Class: Shaman
Hit points: 81(805) Moves: 127(127)
Experience Progress: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
Experience Percentage: 98 percent into next level.
Coins carried: 155 platinum 53 gold 25 silver 123 copper
Coins in bank: 372 platinum 7 gold 1 silver 3 copper
Prestige: 6705
Citizen of: Griffon's Nest
Outcast from: Leuthilspar
Playing time: 97 days / 19 hours/ 42 minutes
Title: WildStallion -=Oracle=- Darkstorm Rising
Group Name: Corth and Company
Group Leader: Corth
Detecting: Evil Life Heat

Retark group-says '***Stone Out***'
< 81h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit>
Score information for Dartan

Level: 50 Race: Barbarian Class: Shaman
Hit points: 81(805) Moves: 127(127)
Experience Progress: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >
Experience Percentage: 98 percent into next level.
Coins carried: 155 platinum 53 gold 25 silver 123 copper
Coins in bank: 372 platinum 7 gold 1 silver 3 copper
Prestige: 6705
Citizen of: Griffon's Nest
Outcast from: Leuthilspar
Playing time: 97 days / 19 hours/ 42 minutes
Title: WildStallion -=Oracle=- Darkstorm Rising
Group Name: Corth and Company
Group Leader: Corth
Detecting: Evil Life Heat

< 81h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:sit> You clamber to your feet.
Retark starts casting an offensive spell called 'sandblast'.
< 81h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std> You don't have that spell memorized.
< 81h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Xebes's skin seems to turn to stone.
< 81h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Hatan's skin seems to turn to stone.
Koric heroically rescues Retark.
Ebgar does a full heal on Ebgar.
Xebes starts casting a spell called 'blur'.
A red abishai sergeant flies in from the north.
A lemure devil attacks Koric, landing a single hit.
A black abishai patrol attacks Koric, landing a single hit.
Koric defends against an attack from a black abishai patrol.
A lemure devil attacks Retark, landing a single hit.
An abishai devil attacks Ebgar, landing three hits.
Someone attacks a lemure devil, landing a single hit.
With an arcane motion of its hand, a green abishai patrolman gates in an abishai devil!
An abishai devil now follows a green abishai patrolman.
With an arcane motion of its hand, a green abishai patrolman gates in an abishai devil!
An abishai devil now follows a green abishai patrolman.
A green abishai patrolman attacks Ebgar, landing a single hit.
You attack a lemure devil, landing a single hit.
< 54h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127V T: Dartan TC: awful E: lemure EC: few scratches P:std>
Retark stops invoking abruptly!
A red abishai sergeant enshrouds you in a mist of blood with his deadly pummel!
An abishai devil half kills you with its mighty pummel!
You are mortally wounded, and will die soon, if not aided.
< -9h/805H 128p/128P 127v/127VP:std>
*** Welcome to Sojourn ***

0) Leave Faerun for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Sojourn.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

Make your choice: wave
Wrong option.

*** Welcome to Sojourn ***

0) Leave Faerun for a Time.
1) Enter the realms of Sojourn.
2) See who is currently playing.
3) Read the background story.
4) Change your password.
5) Enter your character description.
6) Delete this character.

Make your choice: 1
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:55 am

I see 5 instances in that one log along where the gated in abishai's gate in lemures.

It's funny, too.. In the RPG, there is a huge chance of failure, and they can only do it once per day. Go figure. Image

Sorry guys. Image

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:45 am

_Should_ be fixed next boot. Let me know if it isn't.

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:15 am

And remember, if ya post a log ya get a cookie. And we *might* actually just be able to track it down. Image

Postby Guest » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:08 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>I see 5 instances in that one log along where the gated in abishai's gate in lemures.

It's funny, too.. In the RPG, there is a huge chance of failure, and they can only do it once per day. Go figure. :(

Sorry guys. :(</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

btw, just so you all know - the demons/devils definitely DO have a chance of failure (which chance is based on the type of demon/devil and what they're trying to gate). there just isn't an echo if they fail. >:)

--D2
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 5:15 pm

How often do they get to try, D2? Once every 24 minutes?

To me, not having seen the code, it almost sounds like they get to try every few rounds, until they succeed. Not sure if that's true or not, but it almost sounds like that.
Taegost
Sojourner

Postby Taegost » Tue Mar 05, 2002 6:13 pm

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Malacar:
<B>
But honestly, if you're a decent person, and have good skills, ask questions of the 'veteran' mudders, I don't see the issue. Perhaps that's just from my perspective, and I am in no way demeaning your viewpoints or experiences, I simply don't see them FIRSTHAND to the extent you folks are expressing.
[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-03-2002).]</B></font><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You tell VeteranA 'Hey, where can I go for xp?'
VeterenA tells you, 'Buffs'
You tell VeteranA 'Errr, trophied on buffs'
VeterenA tells you, 'BGR or Nightfall'
You tell VeterenA 'Is there any place ELSE to go, besides the same places I have been since I was level 10 and have an obnoxious trophy?'
VeterenA tells you, 'Get in a group'
You tell VeterenA 'Err, can I come along with you and learn?'
VeternA tells you, 'No, you're too low, we can't be bothered with you unless you have Vit or Heal'

-Get in a group, 3 hours pass-
You tell VeterenA 'Where can I go for xp?'
VeternA tells you, 'I thought you found an xp group? You've been with them for like, 3 hours!'
You tell VeterenA 'Errr, yes, but in 3 hours, I'd like to at least make 2% towards my next level'
VeterenA tells you, 'How much did you get?'
You tell VeterenA 'Hrmm, let me check... After three hours, and I just solo'd BGR twice in a row, I've gotten... 2%! Wow! I'm WELL on my way to level 25 now!'
You skip down the trail, humming merrily to yourself.

And you know what?
This is as close to my actual log as I could get from work, without zMUD in front of me, that is in actuality what happened.
Ironically, it's exactly what's been happening EVERY time I login, except when I've actually gotten some people to help (Thanx Nedle and Vigis)

------------------
Taegost L'Mirrahn - STUPER DRUID(tm)
Malacar
Sojourner

Postby Malacar » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:25 pm

I meant in groups, my apologies if I didn't clarifiy that enough.

It's REALLY annoying to have low level characters telling to you asking where to do exp, or how to do x, y, or z quest.

Go explore. That's what the mud is also about.

It's not all about leveling as fast as you can on there, if you are a newer player. Just having levels means squat. You need to learn zones(even lower level ones), your own quests, and your class especially. If you have levels, but are terrible in your class, not only will you get no groups, you will have a bad name.

So don't put that on higher level players. It's not their job to tell you where to exp, or anything else for that matter. Now if you had a question for them on TACTICS for the class in question, and they had time to answer(I try to take the time for questions like this), they SHOULD answer questions like this. These are the golden questions, and newer players that gain respect very quickly.

[This message has been edited by Malacar (edited 03-05-2002).]
Dakrish
Sojourner

Postby Dakrish » Tue Mar 05, 2002 7:27 pm

Caz, it doesn't take hardcore people to get ress...Pretty much once you hit 46 people start helping you get ress (And that's if people already havn't gotten you items before 46). I think Baik had to wait the longest to get ress, and that was what, a couple weeks?

Big deal. Ress quest is annoying and tedious, I'll give you that, but it's isn't uberly impossible. My biggest irk with it is that Jaz waits till like 1am to get an avernus group to go there Image

Sure, I'd like to be doing other zones where I can actually get eq, since almost all of the eq there is WAYYYYY hard to get, spank spank spank spank! Image But, an extra resser is awesome.

peACe oUt
laterZ
gyrx
Elseenas
Sojourner

Postby Elseenas » Tue Mar 05, 2002 8:08 pm

Taegost:

Mention one word to any Yuan-ti and watch the reaction:

"birds"

------------------
Elseenas of No House Worth Mentioning
gordex
Sojourner

Postby gordex » Tue Mar 05, 2002 9:19 pm

Amen! Malacar, preach it!

As always, if druids or noobs have questions, I'll be happy to answer them. Image

Gordex - Gordex Travel Agency
Treladian
Sojourner

Postby Treladian » Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:27 pm

Asking high level people where to get exp can often be an exercise in futility. Of the places I've done exp through 3 wipes, many of them are no longer great places to exp due to various changes that have happened to the mud in the past few years (and sometimes months or weeks), a few probably aren't in the mud anymore, some of them are places I don't even remember, and, finally and perhaps most importantly, if they are in and still good places to get exp, chances are that EVERYONE else is already killing the mobs there since there's going to be a mix of old players coming back and trying to stick to places they're familiar with and other players that have gotten the standard recommendations.

Those of us who have been around a while can get very set in our ways when leveling up characters. At the same time, a lot of midlevel zones have been added in that many of us have never set foot in. Definately take some time to explore potential exp spots (after looking up the area in credits to make sure you're not about to enter a death trap). It's going to be a lot more effective then relying on our memories of a process many of us are very willing to put behind us . . .

------------------
"Maybe I should stop and ask for directions . . ."

[This message has been edited by Treladian (edited 03-05-2002).]
izarek
Sojourner

Postby izarek » Tue Mar 05, 2002 11:36 pm

"what just occured to me is that are you guys telling me that those players who can only put in 2-3 hours a day never going to see the time of day in a zone? just curious. "

Yes

Return to “S3 Gameplay Discussion Archive”